PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know How To Turn A Tire Inside-Out?

Linstrum
01-01-2010, 06:39 AM
Back when I was a kid 50 years ago I used to see gigantic flower pots on street corners made out of old car tires that were turned inside out.

I tried it using 3/8" trucker's chains, my 30-ton log splitter, and my Cat D4D bulldozer to try pulling the bead through the rim hole, but couldn't get them to roll inside out.

Anybody know how on earth it is done?

rl697

Cap'n Morgan
01-01-2010, 06:55 AM
A Google search brought this up:
http://mercer.extension.psu.edu/Agriculture/TirePlanter.htm

stubshaft
01-01-2010, 08:21 AM
You take a tire mounted onto a rim. Cut the sidewall about half way from the bead to the tread. Grab the portion of the cut you just made and pull it toward the uncut side of the tire/rim assy.

Usually the rim portion is buried into the ground leaving the tire portion exposed.

WickedGoodOutdoors
01-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Americans dont do that anymore. Just send your old Tires to these guys and they will take care of it for you.

"Abdul the Shoemaker"shows an apprentice lad named Shami the art of crafting quality footwear from discarded American Infidel Automobile Tyres.
These fasionable qundara flooys will be sold under the Jazmah Brand Lable at finer Souoks everywhere.

http://www.kagnewstation.com/scrapbook/moulton/mekelle1.jpg

Marvin S
01-01-2010, 03:06 PM
WickedGood that is FUNNY! I would think gutting the bead out and the rim thing would sure do it.

shooterg
01-01-2010, 03:30 PM
I remember folks doing this on the rim when 50 years ago myself - was probably much easier before steel belted radial tires !

bohokii
01-01-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm

WILCO
01-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Americans dont do that anymore.

Just wait. Plenty of Americans will be doing all kinds of things "that they don't do anymore" just to survive................

DLCTEX
01-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Some one was using tires for making salt and mineral feeders ( for livestock) and bolting plywood bottom in it. They were really durable an economical.

Charlie Sometimes
01-02-2010, 12:40 AM
They still got plenty of them tire planters in these parts- WV is full of them!

Linstrum
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Thanks, guys!

The inside-out tire flower pots I saw back 50 years ago didn't have one bead cut off like the Pennsylvania State University Extension article shows, the ones I saw a long time back were totally intact tires turned inside-out and stood about two feet tall. They looked exactly like ancient Greek wine amphoras and were much better looking than the one showed in the extension article, which looks kinda like a crappy old tire turned inside-out. I did see plenty of that kind with one bead cut off down in Tijuana, Mexico, back in the mid 1960s.

During the Vietnam War I had a buddy who was serving in-country in the U.S. Naval Construction Battalion as an electrician. One time on a night patrol around the compound perimeter where their hooches were, his patrol was shot up by VC. They returned fire, my buddy Carl had a selective fire M2 .30 carbine and he unloaded a full 30-round clip at one unlucky VC who showed himself. They cleaned up the mess to retrieve VC ordnance and Carl found one guy was carrying a K-Bar copy made from a Jeep spring and extra sandals made from Jeep tires with inner tube straps, which he brought home and showed to me. The sandals were very cleverly made and I made a pair for myself.

There is a method to my madness, I am trying to find a good way to utilize old tires to make outdoor storage for small size things like paint cans, weed killer, sacks of lawn fertilizer, and other supplies that just waste valuable space in my small workshop but can't be put directly outside without some protection from the sun and rain/snow. Old tires turned inside-out have lots of room inside and are easy to put a lid on made out of cement board or concrete stepping stones.

rl699

zuke
01-04-2010, 08:51 AM
I think the modern tire's are built a lot better now and with all the belt's and stuff inside them that's there to go only one way, you might be S.O.L.

richbug
01-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Some, if not all tires are made inside out, Through the tire companies have machines for turning them.

phaessler
01-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Some, if not all tires are made inside out, Through the tire companies have machines for turning them.

Worked in the tire industry close to 15 yrs in R&D/ Prodcution Engineering and Testing , never saw one made inside out and turned.

peter nap
01-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Loan it to my son and tell him NOT to turn it inside out!

richbug
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Worked in the tire industry close to 15 yrs in R&D/ Prodcution Engineering and Testing , never saw one made inside out and turned.

I toured a few plants when I used to sell tires. I clearly remember inside out tires. Are they inspected that way?

shotman
01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Am I missing something??? how is an inside out tire any larger?? the bead will not get any bigger if both are intact. I am not from MO but I want to see one rick
This is about 12in deep and rim is under ground

Uncle R.
01-10-2010, 01:46 PM
When I was a young man I watched two guys turn a tire inside out. They used a big vise on a post and big pipe wrenches with cheater bars and pure wrasslin' muscle power. It was near 35 years ago and I wasn't really interested so I can't tell you much - just that they was a lot of grunting and cussing and pure gritty determination but they finally managed to do it. Why? They did it just because they were wondering how people made those planters - and if THEY could do it too.
<
Uncle R.

RP
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
i was thinking of the same thing but I did see a childs swing made out of a old tire cut all up to lool like a horse main body was the side walls. Oh when my brother was overseas he had a pair of boots made the guy measure his foot and hand sewed the leather use a tire for the soles. But as far as the turning one inside out I feel you age going to have to cut the bead on one side its steal and you need a saw saw and cable cutter well thats what I have used.

lead-1
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Kind of reminds me of my oldest son, I always told him he could mess up a crowbar in a sandbox, LOL.

bohica2xo
01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I suspect 40 years ago it was a damn bit easier to turn a tire inside out. Todays radial tires are much stronger.

Size matters a lot on something like this. It might be possible to turn an 1100-22 inside out, but I think trying the same trick on a 5.70x8 would be damn near impossible.

The OP's reason for wanting to do this puzzles me. I can buy clean poly open head drums locally for about 20 bucks. I simply store my stuff in regular old building space, but if I wanted dry outdoor storage I could move with a hand truck the poly barrel would be my first choice.

Old tires are just an all-around pain to me, and if you collect too many of them where I am at the county will be on your ass about it as well.

B.

Linstrum
01-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Here's a quick pen and ink drawing I just made from memory that shows the approximate shape of the planters I saw as a kid. I think they looked prettty nice.

My 1972 Caterpillar D4D bulldozer has got right around 15,000 pounds drawbar pull according to the performance graph Cat supplied in the owners manual, and that's plenty to turn a tire inside out IF, and a BIG IF, I can get all that OOOMPH going in the right places, which I haven't been able to do yet with several logging chains, chain binders, two 16-foot long 4" x 8" 'I' beams, two 4-foot long 4" x 4" 'I' beams, and my 30-ton Guillotine log splitter all working in various combinations of pulling and twisting. The photo is my Caterpillar D4D dozer with me standing next to it, I'm 6' 2" tall, so you can see it isn't exactly a Struck backyard mini-dozer. I tore up a few tires with it trying to get them inside out, too!

As far as appearance goes, the turned inside out tires I saw when I was a kid would not attract negative attention at all, like I mentioned in a previous post way up above, they looked just like ancient Greek wine amphoras and like the ancient containers they were painted an earthenware reddish brown and you couldn't tell that they were made from tires unless you looked inside one with the potting soil far enough down to expose the tread and something like "GOODYEAR 7.75-15 MAX INFLATION PRESSURE 32 PSI" on the sidewalls. They stood up about two feet tall on their own because of the stress of the rubber wanting to turn them back right-side-out.

Linstrum
01-13-2010, 08:31 AM
Yup, the poly drums, like the 35 and 60-gallon kinds that Roundup weed killer comes in, I used to get for free when I lived in Southern Cali-forlorn-ia in the Citrus Belt of Ventura County, but alas, here in New Mexico there aren't too many places around here that use weed killer in those amounts since weeds don't grow well in the gypsum that the White Sands of the Tularosa Basin are composed of. At $20 bucks a pop for containers, spending that would very quickly ruin paying for propane at $450 per month that this cold spell just yesterday afternoon took out of my lonely bank account (lonely for more $ to keep it company) and diesel fuel I need to survive; and worn out tires are, of course, FREE! I also think that a bunch of old, intact, right-side-out tires looks like one step removed from steaming heaps of horse apples and Obama's mindset, so if what I am after looked terrible I'd find another low cost alternative for exterior storage.

rl701

scrapcan
01-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Linstrum,

I sent you a pm with contact info for a guy in my area that does this. he may be willing to help you but i have not talked to him personally about this.

bohica2xo
01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Linstrum:

There is no doubt you have enough force to do the job - you probably have enough to tear a tire in half.

Find a soft kid's toy with a tire on it. Start turning it inside out with your fingers. You will see immediately what you need. Or if you have one, a 20" or larger bicycle tire.

Do you have some big beam clamps / HD "C" clamps? Plenty of chain?

You need to pull the opposite side bead surface through the near side bead. On an angle. Without letting it get away from you & taking your head off...

Good luck & be safe.

B.

Linstrum
01-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey, thanks, bohica2xo, a scooter tire of the same proportions as a car tire is probably what I have on hand.

That would be the pits after all these years of shooting to get my head taken off by a tire!

rl704

bcp
02-10-2010, 02:29 AM
They make it sound easy. I can't understand it.
http://allgardenplanters.com/how-to/tire-planter-garden-wont-flat/

You’ll need to remove any leftover air from the tire. Next, you’ll need to turn the tire inside out. You can do this by planting your foot on the bottom and pulling at the top from the far side. Next, place your other foot on the tire and hold down the flattened edge at the bottom with this foot. Now, push the tire over and pull from the opposite side. If your tire is soft enough, it should turn inside out fairly easily. Believe it or not, that’s all it takes!

These are better looking than the usual ones. They seem to be seamed.
http://shop.theurbangarden.co.uk/recycled_and_eco_friendly/107_0c.html
http://www.alternativeconsumer.com/2008/02/10/recycled-tire-planter/

Bruce

Bullshop Junior
02-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Do you want it on or off of the rim?

Note - If you can use 1-3 Ply tires. 10 ply are hard to do.

Greentyre
01-12-2015, 01:47 PM
I would like to interest you in our work about tyreplanters. You can see our work on green-tyre.com, also on facebook and pinterest. Now as you can see we do a lot of tyreflipping and it is hard work. To make our job easier we invented a machine to do it.
The TYREFLIPPER™ Patent Pending.
This machine is very easy to operate and it can flip a tyre in 3 minutes. Any size tyre is possible, up to the back tyre of a tractor. You can get it in manual, air or hydraulic operation.
If you interested, just let me know.

jmorris
01-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Your website doesn't work for me.

Any pics and details on the machine?

This one is a good idea if he is still a teenager.

Good google foo green-tyre.

Artful
01-13-2015, 10:42 AM
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttalk&th=592216
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p152/langed0115/100_0925c.jpg
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p152/langed0115/100_0926c.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxgPCzxW0sk

http://shoestringpavilion.blogspot.com/2011/04/tire-planters-with-cinder-block-plinth.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XU7MxGTJHXQ/TaPDxzlvuhI/AAAAAAAABW0/WKVfeBEubV4/s640/tiafter.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4vklYdrRcrQ/TaPGLFhRojI/AAAAAAAABW4/QMxhXJKNF-M/s640/tiplantedfrporch.jpg

http://www.ehow.com/how_7820702_turn-tractor-tires.html

Instructions

1 Stand your tractor tire up on end by lifting it up. It might help to lean the tire against a tree for better support. The idea is to keep the tire in a stand up position so that you can guide the head of the backhoe onto the top of it.

2 Study the use of your backhoe controls and practice the controls a bit. You will notice that you have the ability to move the backhoe up, down, left and right. Once you get used to using the backhoe, you will have an easier time to turn the tractor tire.

3 Control the backhoe so that you have positioned the head on top of the tractor tire. Push the tractor tire down with the controls and you will see the tire start to twist inside out. The backhoe head will apply tremendous pressure to the tire as you push down on it. The sidewalls of the tire will flex and buckle.

4 Continue to work your way around the tire with pressure from the head of the backhoe until the tire is inside out completely.

Tips & Warnings

You may need to work with the backhoe and the tire for a while depending on how flexible the tractor tire is. You can locate a small backhoe tractor at your local equipment rental yard. In some states you need to be licensed to use a large backhoe. You can find a small size backhoe tractor that you do not need a license to use. Check with your equipment rental yard on this. If you are unable to locate a backhoe for rent, then you can hire a backhoe operator to do this job for you. Just be prepared to pay a fee for an operator.
http://www.wenzelconstruction.com/images/turnedtire.jpg

I'm liking this idea for raised bed gardening
http://plimages.blob.core.windows.net/article-images/Layton_tire-garden.jpg
http://serendipitousscavenger.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/tire2.jpg

Linstrum
01-13-2015, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the video on inverting tires, that is the kind of stuff I'm looking for. That may even serve as a target of some sort besides growing potatoes!

rl 1,237

DCM
01-13-2015, 10:24 PM

LOL Sadly the same here.

bedbugbilly
01-13-2015, 10:47 PM
Watched the video - interesting. I love it when a guy wears work gloves to protect his hands but wears sandals with no protection for his feet . . . wonder if he casts bullets that way to? :-)

jmorris
01-14-2015, 10:16 AM
The gloves are for the wire in radial tires. That is cheating though, flipping with the bead intact would be much harder.

Pinsnscrews
01-16-2015, 04:56 AM
Back in the day, my stepdad would pound the bead on one side of a bias ply tire with a sledge to soften it up. Then they would mount it on a bead lock rim, only locking the side that wasn't soften. Chain up the softened bead, put the tractor in Low One, and let the tractor crawl forward until the tire was completely turned inside out. Can't remember how much he sold them for at the time, but I remember him doing about 10 or 15 in a day.

W.R.Buchanan
01-18-2015, 07:14 PM
Seems like a lot of work. I showed my wife,,, She doesn't want any.

Randy

johnson1942
02-15-2015, 01:31 AM
im glad some one else put some pictures on here with tractor tires as raised beds. i live rural and have more than i can count all filled with good dirt and compost. as i fill them i make a slurry out of the mixture with lots of water. it settles back in to every part of the tire. i plant every thing from carrots to fruit trees in them. good for raspberries and straw berries also. cucumbers and melons love tires. i have seen them turned inside out at a neighbors cattle feeding area but never thought tham better to plant in than a regular big tractor tire. i like the regular shaped tires because they hold moisture back in the hollow cavity better than if they were straight sided. my carrot crop was out of this world last year in a big old tractor tire.

Plate plinker
02-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Seems like a lot of work. I showed my wife,,, She doesn't want any.

Randy
Good woman. Keep her around.

TCLouis
02-21-2015, 05:14 PM
Western Tire Recycling in Utah is one company that makes water tanks/feed bunkers with old tires.

OTRs tire though, 6-13 feet in diameter.

freebullet
02-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't the tires leech chemicals/compounds in the soil?

DougGuy
02-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Tires 50yrs ago weren't steel belted. They weren't even polyglas back then. WHOLE LOTTA difference now.

I personally would not grow food plants of any kind, or any culinary herbs in a tire planter. We don't use rr ties, salt treated, concrete block, nothing but untreated pine or other untreated wood.

Taylor
02-22-2015, 08:11 AM
131653 ho chi minh sandals-not me btw.

Plate plinker
02-22-2015, 12:09 PM
They are common in Mexico. Call them guaraches. (War-achcess).

Linstrum
02-26-2015, 03:20 AM
They are common in Mexico. Call them guaraches. (War-achcess).

I grew up in Southern California not too far from Malibu Beach back in the 1950s and 1960s, and all the surfers down at Malibu and the other popular surfing beaches wore guarache sandals. They called them "Tijuana retreads" because they were manufactured in little family-owned shops just across the border in Tijuana, Mexico.

Plate plinker
02-26-2015, 05:51 AM
I like those sandals, even wore out a pair. Well the top anyhow, as the rubber last a lifetime.

BAGTIC
02-27-2015, 02:17 PM
In the Philippines I see inside out tires all the time but they have some way of putting a bottom in them so they can be used for water storage and as laundry wash tubs, etc