PDA

View Full Version : Kids rifle

Denver
05-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I've been shopping for a downsized 22 rifle for my Grandson and came across the CZ 452 Scout rifle. So far I've only seen the info on them from their website. No one in the area has them in stock to look at, so I'm wonderin if anyone here has any first hand knowledge about them. Walmart will special order one, but if it turns out to be a ***, you're stuck with it or lose your deposit (50%) Any info 'preciated.

Ron:Fire:

mooman76
05-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Don't know about this particular rifle but CZ is putting out some fine guns these days. What about those pump gallery guns that marlin makes copied off the old winchester pumps? They make those in kids sizes and it would be a greay gun for a kid to start on!

Denver
05-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Don't know about this particular rifle but CZ is putting out some fine guns these days. What about those pump gallery guns that marlin makes copied off the old winchester pumps? They make those in kids sizes and it would be a greay gun for a kid to start on!

Are you maybe talking about the Taurus rifles? Don't see anything on the Marlin site like that.

mooman76
05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes I mean't the Tarus! Sorry for the oops!

NVcurmudgeon
05-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Denver, I know nothing abot the Scout Rifle variation of the CZ 452, but I have had a CZ452 Classic American for several years. It is a very well made rifle, accurate and trouble-free. A couple of my friends have earlier model CZ rifles with the same action and are equallly pleased. The action of the CZ452 goes back to at least WWII. I have seen them with Nazi proof marks and also with Israeli markings. Apparently, both WWII Germany and the nation of Israel have used CZ .22s for training rifles.

carpetman
05-27-2006, 12:22 AM
If you can find a gun that you can get a second stock for----cheap--- and cut it down is sometimes the best way to go for a kids rifle. I have an Ithica single shot lever in .22 that is meant to look like a Mod 94. For it I made a small butt and can easily swap it back to original. I got a butt off a Win 97 that already been cut down and was able to adapt it to a Model 12---not just a swap em deal,took some modifying but worked. I have an extra stock for a Rem 600 but didnt have need to cut it down. My grandson is now 16 and don't have to modify stuff for him anymore.

versifier
05-27-2006, 12:22 AM
Don't overlook the excellent kids rifles that Henry is building, either. They're well made, inexpensive, and made in the USA.

MT Gianni
05-27-2006, 12:42 AM
I have a cz trainer stocked in beechwood vs walnut for a cost under $200 a few years ago. It is very well made and accurate. gianni.

Four Fingers of Death
05-27-2006, 02:21 AM
The old No2 Brno, which is now the CZ is probably the most prolific 22 in Australia, but not in the gunshops. You hardly ever see them or sale,but they are everywhere. Absolutely great rifles. The only work they ever need is a bit of finishing sometimes. Hell for stout. They used to advertise, 'when you buy a BRNO, you are buying for your grandchildren!'

Buckshot
05-27-2006, 07:41 AM
...............Marlin makes a youth sized 22 bolt action, and so does Savage I think. As was mentioned, so does Henry. I'm pretty sure the CZ uses the same action for thier kid's rifle as they do for the 452 series and it's a very fine one.

................Buckshot

Denver
05-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Yes I mean't the Tarus! Sorry for the oops!

Thanks for the heads up. I'd forgotten about these. Taurus is offering some interesting stuff these days. Check out the Colt Lightning repros and the 22 lever action rifles built on the Win 62 action.

The model 62 with 16 in barrel would fill the bill nicely, and they offer a folding tang sight that I like. My Grandson took to the peep sight on my Marlin Mountie much faster than his Dad was able to get the hang of using the open sights on the guns I had then.
Just checked out the Wally World site and they carry the Taurus line as special order items also.

mooman76
05-27-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm a firm believer in starting a youth out on a single shot rifle. You don't see too many these days but in lue of that I would get anything but an auto loader. I think it teaches them to try to shoot quality instead of quantity!

Denver
05-27-2006, 05:51 PM
SCORE! I visited a dealer today that I hadn't been to for awhile and they had the CZ Scout, the Marlin 915Y, and the Stevens Cub youth model. Just so happens that they had one left of the earlier model Stevens before the AccuTrigger and sale priced at $99.00. It also has a factory mounted receiver peep and the receiver is grooved for scope mounts.. The wood on the Stevens is also slimmed down in the grip and forearm area more than the other rifles.
The kid will be happy.

Denver :drinks:

Old Ironsights
05-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Take a look at the Chipmunk .22

http://www.roguerifle.com/

Specifically designed for little shooters and adult supervision. Good writeup on GunBlast IIRC.

Bucks Owin
06-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm a firm believer in starting a youth out on a single shot rifle. You don't see too many these days but in lue of that I would get anything but an auto loader. I think it teaches them to try to shoot quality instead of quantity!

I agree and built my son an old Win Model-60 single shot for his first "real" rifle....

Ironsights, you beat me to it with the Chipmunk, great little first rifle! A deluxe checkered .17 M2 would be a rifle even I'D like to own!

Dennis

Old Ironsights
06-01-2006, 03:50 PM
I've often considered getting one and cutting the stock down to turn it into a big .22 "pistol" for use with Colibri's. Basically th next step up from my Crossman 1377 pellet pistol. [:D]

Bucks Owin
06-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I've often considered getting one and cutting the stock down to turn it into a big .22 "pistol" for use with Colibri's.
[:D]

Bet it'd make a dandy unlimited silhouette "handgun" too for the smallbore events...

Dennis