PDA

View Full Version : Wow this is kinda fun

Davandron
12-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Been lurking for about a year while I learned about reloading and then casting, but used the down time this week to actually melt some lead and take a swing at casting. And wow, this is a lot of fun! I'm not sure if its the silvery lead or seeing bullets pop out one after another, but there is something to this beyond the practical part.

I even tried reclaiming lead, but at this point I don't think I'll do it again unless I have access to 100+ lbs or tire-shop buckets. Long story short; 4 hours of digging and melting to get 20 lbs of clean lead.

Ideally, I'd have some question in this post to stimulate discussion, but honestly I'm just posting to say "now I get it!" ;^)

lwknight
12-30-2009, 11:39 PM
I resemble that!
Welcome aboard.
Sounds lik you need a more fertile mine.

Marlin Hunter
12-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Be careful you don't become a castoholic.

testhop
12-31-2009, 12:05 AM
welcome aboard.
just wait some you will be shooting just have to cast some up.

303Guy
12-31-2009, 12:14 AM
... this is a lot of fun! I'm not sure if its the silvery lead or seeing bullets pop out one after another, but there is something to this beyond the practical part.Yup. It sure is fun!:Fire: I can't sit and cast hundresds at a time. I'll cast a few then stop or cast something different. But I do this almost daily!:roll: There is so much to learn actually.

I went out and bought some 224 J-words for my hornet and felt guilty! My excuse is that 22 cal is too small for me to patch easily - I only have to convince myself![smilie=1:

Welcome aboard!:drinks:

quilbilly
12-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Ditto to the Wecome aboard.
It won't be long before you feel like a medieval alchemist.
Don't turn down any roofing lead. It is pure and soft usually. Get some bar solder which is at least 40% tin at your local electronics geek store then with a couple wheel weights, start mixing in the ratio you want to try. Good fun...
Recently I ran across a bucket full of old birdshot at a scrap yard. It is wayyyy harder than I would like in my bullets so I cut it with roof lead. Fine shooting.

Judan_454
12-31-2009, 01:32 AM
There is somthing really satisfying about casting your own bullets from scrap lead.Then going out the range and shooting groups that are better than jacketed bullets.

EMC45
12-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Welcome aboard! I am not sure what I enjoy more, casting, handloading or shooting. I enjoy it all!

357maximum
12-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Welcome, you do realize you are ruined forever right? You done followed Alice down the rabbit hole, only thing is this wonderland has no exit. ;-)

WHITETAIL
12-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Welcome to the world of casting!:cbpour:

kbstenberg
12-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Welcome to the silver stream club. Its nice when you can sit in your loading area an know you have almost an unlimited supply of bullets.
An all your friends here will help with what ever trouble you get into!!!
Kevin

mold maker
12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
How many other hobbies can ya make $5. an hr, having fun, and gaining shooting resorces?

skeet1
12-31-2009, 09:12 AM
What is really good about this Cast Boolits Forum is that before it I thought that I was all alone and maybe a little crazy. Welcome aboard.

Skeet1

jhrosier
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
....; 4 hours of digging and melting to get 20 lbs of clean lead......

But it was FREE ![smilie=l:

Most of us have more time than money.

Jack

Jayhem
12-31-2009, 10:59 AM
the bug is back in a big way. I cast muzzleloader boolits 10 years ago...got out of it and just got back into it doing handgun castings and man is it fun and rewarding! Nothing like creating your own boolit/reloads and finding one that works well in your gun!

bbs70
12-31-2009, 11:07 AM
the bug is back in a big way. I cast muzzleloader boolits 10 years ago...got out of it and just got back into it doing handgun castings and man is it fun and rewarding! Nothing like creating your own boolit/reloads and finding one that works well in your gun!

I got out of casting and shooting 15 or so years ago.
About a year ago the bug bit me again and I wondered why I ever got out of it.
Seems like once you get into it, it stays with you.
Yep, an addiction.:bigsmyl2:

John Guedry
12-31-2009, 11:09 AM
You know now when you walk across a large parking lot you won't see peoples faces 'cause you're looking at the ground hunting the Wily Wheel Weight.

lead-1
12-31-2009, 03:34 PM
You already said this is fun so it is too late for you, you're hooked.

chief3
12-31-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm with EMC45, don't know which I like best ,casting , loading, shooting, paper patching, building guns, or just thinking about it all.

357maximum
12-31-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm with EMC45, don't know which I like best ,casting , loading, shooting, paper patching, building guns, or just thinking about it all.

Thats an easy one there.

When you have the money but no time you buy the stuff to do any of the above. When you have time and it is nice you shoot. When you have time and it is nasty you cast/load/roll. When you have alot of time you build. And when you have no money or time you think about it all while you procurr funds to buy more.

TADAA problems averted.

ghh3rd
12-31-2009, 04:34 PM
If you're wishin that you could find veins of lead.... you've probably got lead in your veins.

lwknight
12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
I just called a local scrap yard. That gunnybanger is PAYING $0.58 per pound for lead and $0.45 for WWs. Now I think I have lead in my veins too.

Boondocker
12-31-2009, 05:57 PM
Yep no turning back now, once a leadhead always a leadhead. So now your looking online,catalogs,yard sale,garage sales,local papers and relatives garages for lead,casting supplies,pots,solder,pewter etc,etc,etc!!!!! You are you know you are,we know!!!!!!!!:castmine::mrgreen:

Davandron
01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words and warm welcome. Good to know I'm among friends ;^)

BTW, any tips for dealing with the little lady? She's an angel and puts up with me, but if there are tips to keeping her happy beyond the obvious "keep it out of her way, and safe from kiddos" I'd appreciate it!

Depdog
01-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Ummm. Hi. My name is Glenn and I an addicted to casting. LOL

I just started myself in the last month or so. Got a couple of Lee Pots (both 20 lb, one a bottom poar). I started melting wheel weights in the non poaring 20lb pot and casting ingots. Took FOREVER becasue it was so small. Did some friend searching and came up with an old Bass Pro Shops turkey fryer (prop. and adjustable) went to the local metal fab place and got a 12 or 14" 3/8" thick piece of steel pipe drop. Its about 16" tall, welded on a 1/4" plate bottom and can now do 80 to 100 lbs at a time with ease. Much faster and easier.

Got 2 ingot molds (one Lee and one RCBs) then I have some cast iron corn bread molds that do "Teddy Bears" and Christmas stuff (bell with ribbon, santa, present with ribbon, star and a Christmas Tree) That and some cast iron cookware that does 3 ingots that are about 4" x 5" and 1" thick.

Got some Lee molds and now one of Mihec's .402 Hollow Point molds (second hand and glad to get it). Cast about 500 with a 2 shot Lee last night and had a ball. Ordered a Star with heater and air feed, got dies and a handle from Lathesmith. Still have stuff I want.

LOL
Glenn

Depdog
01-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Davandron

I try to help with the kids, dishes and anything else she needs and then do my stuff late at night in the basement (with a fan ventilation setup so it does not smell in the house at all). I do all my smelting outside, only cast with the clean lead ingots I get from smelting.

Glenn