PDA

View Full Version : The next generation....

Bucks Owin
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Hi gang,

Thought I'd share this photo of my little sidekick powder burner. This is 8 yr old Conner with his trusty Winchester Model 60 single shot that "Santa" brought him last year. I modified the oil finished stock to a sort of "3/4 scale" (yes, it needs a higher comb) and cut it's 23" barrel down to 18". Had it crowned and scope blocks installed for the old "60 series" Weaver K-6. He's managed some 1/2" groups with it at 50 yards (with match ammo) which gives me great joy! [smilie=1: Now he's dropping hints about a Ruger Bearcat for his birthday this summer...:roll: (And I just happen to have an Old Model stashed away! heh heh)

I'm sure there are plenty of others here who are bringing their kids up with a love and respect for firearms. Let's see 'em!

Proud dad,

Dennis

BTW, he would normally be wearing earplugs and his "cool orange shooting glasses" except for this staged photo...

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Conner.jpg

Uncle Grinch
05-26-2006, 11:11 AM
Dennis,

It's great to see the next generation involved in our shooting sports. They will help carry on this tradition and eventually support our rights to do this.

danski26
05-26-2006, 11:50 AM
My little guy is only one year old so no shooting yet. I did refinish my first shotgun "old stevens single 20ga" for him. I keep telling the wife that he needs his first rifle now. Think that will have to wait a few years.

bisley45
05-26-2006, 01:47 PM
I just love to see the little ones shooting here is a pic of my little one she is 8 and I am trying to get her reedy for deer season
by the way that is a win mod 70 featherweight chamberd in 257 ackley improved
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/lisa1lacy2/mis071.jpg

twotoescharlie
05-26-2006, 02:55 PM
you fellows are very lucky. I had 3 daughters, couldn't get any of them interested in the shooting sports. hell, I just turned 69 and its too late to start over. got two candy assed grandboys but they ain't much.

TTC

MGySgt
05-26-2006, 06:50 PM
My son and daughter-in-law had twins on 31 Oct 95. When I went to see them in recovery room Alison said to them - 'Here is your grand paw that is going to teach you to shoot and hunt.'

I hope I live long enough to full fill that!

My other grand daughter (will be 10 in Sep) has her own 'Chimp monk' (the original one I bought for my son in the early 80's) and I got here a Ruger Single Six 22.

She loves to shoot both of them when she comes to visit.

Drew

waksupi
05-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Drew, you are truely blessed.

Jumptrap
05-26-2006, 10:43 PM
HAR!

You fellers done good! Back several years ago, when my eldest (now 28) was about 7 or 8, I bought him a Chipmunk rifle for Christmas...still have a picture of him opening the package. The next summer, he killed a groundhog at an honest 137 paces OFFHAND! I just about **** myself when he pulled that one off...hehehe! We drove down past a hay field and out in the middle I seen the groundhog.....must have been 300 yards away. I parked and we snuck (that's southern hillbilly for sneaked) down the fencerow until I figured we were about parallel to the pig. I looked up and there it was....but still way out yonder and the boy's trigger finger had an itch. I told him there wasn't much chance of us getting any closer. I never gave him any advice....I just told him to "do like I taught you." He stood up and leveled that little gun and at the crack....the hog went down. I said, "I think he got away son." Nathaniel snapped back.....No he didn't! he ran out there and held the critter up. I have a pix of him...varmint looked half as big as he did. Anyway....fast forward 20 something years and I have my second litter of kids. We are in Walmart one evening and I spy a Crickett rifle and ask to see it. My young son Ian looks it all over and his sister Rachel says.....I wanna pink one! The sales clerk says....we've sold them before. So, write it down, last fall I got them noth new Cricketts...one walnut....one pink laminated! Rachel just truned 4 and she can tell you the names of all the parts....butt, forend, barrel, trigger, bolt...etc! These kids are a hoot. They've been raised in a home with guns and never offer to touch one....the curiosity doesn't exist and they have a respect for them. Start'em young.

kodiak1
05-26-2006, 11:43 PM
Great stories guy's Taught all three of my kids to shoot and skin, only the younger two took to it. My daughter is in college and doesn't have the time but my youngest he's 22 comes with me every fall he is my hunting buddy.
The oldest boy gave a grandson he is 9 and shoots like a trooper everytime we go out to the range I watch him plant two or three hundred pieces of lead into the backstops out of his 22 (use to be grandpa's but that is progress I guess).
He isn't scared to shoot anything with in reason he loves the 357 and 44 rifles or as he calls them those cowboy guns. 22, 9mm, 44 pistol just loves it. I do down load the 44 pistol bullets so he can shoot them. The only one he has complained about is the 40-90SBN but I would bet my dentures he masters that this summer.
God life is good when you get to see those young kids shooting and ringing the gongs.
Thanks Ken.

Buckshot
05-26-2006, 11:58 PM
..................I have photo's of my daughter Christian shooting, but they're on paper and I don't have a scanner. Like Mark's kids Christian was ALWAYS around guns. Or rather guns were always around her. She showed no inclination to investigate or handle them unless I was around. Best of all was she never talked about them to friends.

When she was in her early teens and she and some friends would go out riding she carried my Ruger BH 357 in her cantle bags. The order was it didn't come out unless she planned on shooting it. I never worried about her. To point up the trust, Donna never had a problem with this either.

When she moved out she asked me if any of my friends had a pump shotgun for sale she could keep under the bed. So I found an old M11 Rem 12 ga and we cut and crowned the barrel back to 20". When her shift allows it, she'll come out to the range on Tuesdays a few times a year to shoot.

.................Buckshot

Bigscot
05-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Those are great pix. I started my son out hunting with me at about 8 yo and he killed his first squirrel with a .410. He did some .22 shooting before that. I use to take him dove hunting and he would carry his BB gun and retrieve the birds for me. (He was the best retriever I never had.) I then would take him deer hunting with the .410 and then a 20 ga. He did manage a few shots but no kills.

This year at the age of 11 he killed his first deer with my 30.06 and proceded to kill 2 my 12 ga. with 3" 00 buck. (He is 12 yo now and about 5'11", 220 lbs with size 13 shoe.) I got him a .270 for Christmas and he missed one with it the last day of the season. He also got to go on his first duck hunt this year too.

My 9 yo daughter went deer hunting with us this year for the 2nd time too. I am working on her to go more. She helps clean birds and fish and is not bothered by guts. I keep kidding her that "girls" can't do that sort of thing.

I have never kept my guns away from my kids and have told that if they ever want to see one to let me know and I will show it to them. Some type of gun is out regularly for hunting, shooting, cleaning ect and they have never been a mystery to them. It is just normal around here. When the guns are not in use they are put up. The kids also participate in some of the reloading too.

I think it is best for kids to learn to shoot and know what it means to pull a trigger whether the gun is pointed at a target or an animal.

TAKE THOSE YOUNGIN'S TO THE RANGE AND THE WOODS!

BS

redneckdan
05-27-2006, 08:43 AM
I remember my first time at the range, busting clay pigeons with a .22 rifle at the BWSC. All the memories of first days at school, grade school friends and such are pretty faded but I can still remember my first woodcock, grouse and deer.

Now I volunteer at the MTU pistol range as a RO. The satisfaction comes from taking someone who has never even seen a gun before, teaching them gun safety and then taking them out to the line and helping them shoot their first rounds. One night I even worked with one of those liberal weenies that preach about the "evil black rifles". In the safe room when I pulled out the MK II from its case, she hid in the corner and wimpered. It took a half hour just to get her to touch it. About a half hour after that, she was burning full combat loads through my 1911.:-D Shes still liberal but no longer a gun hating weenie, now a card carrying member of the MTU pistol club.

Bucks Owin
05-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I just love to see the little ones shooting here is a pic of my little one she is 8 and I am trying to get her reedy for deer season
by the way that is a win mod 70 featherweight chamberd in 257 ackley improved

Cool photo and rifle amigo!

I've got a '59 vintage M-70 Featherweight in .243 complete with an old Leupold 8X "Westerner" scope w/ "Tackhole Lee" 1" dot to pass on to Conner one of these days. The carnage that sub MOA rifle has amassed on varmint shoots would fill a barge! :-D

Dennis

Uncle Grinch
05-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Here's my great nephew enjoying our club's 22 silhouette match. If he makes honor roll, he will get a Ruger Single-Six like the one he's firing.

Bucks Owin
05-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Great photo Mike and what a great sport for young shooters!

Wish I'd started shooting steel years ago!

Dennis

Finn45
05-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Wish I'd started shooting steel years ago!

Dennis

Me too I guess... But moose will do fine until I get in to steel targets. My son with a cow from last season. Needless to say we are going together next fall as well... Cast boolit of course... "Way to go dad!!!".

http://pyssymiehet.com/smthngls/cow_boy.jpg

MGySgt
05-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Drew, you are truely blessed.

Thanks Ric, I do believe that I am.

Alison had been around guns but never shot until my son and daughter and wife when to get CCW's. I was teaching my wife to shoot and Alison asked if she could try it. Well it seem as if I have lost one of my Mod 28's. She fell in love with it.

BTW all 4 of them went for their CCW's at once. Now the whole family packs! Not really, my wife got hers so I don't loose a pistol because I left it in her car and she gets stopped/searched.

In my younger days I tried to get my wife to go shooting with us, she never did. While training for her CCW I guess she got the bug, SHE has bought more handguns in the last 4 years then I have! Not for me, but for herself! She finally settled on the S&W P22.

Yes I would say I am truley blessed, even my son-in-law likes to shoot, even if he is a squid (Seabee at least).

Drew

Bucks Owin
05-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Me too I guess... But moose will do fine until I get in to steel targets. My son with a cow from last season. Needless to say we are going together next fall as well... Cast boolit of course... "Way to go dad!!!".

Yep, way to go dad!
Brings back memories of our family's move to British Columbia when I was 10 yrs old. The ol' man was a moose hunting addict and I used his M-70 .270 to get my first one around age 13 or so.....(a smallish "eatin' bull")
Looks like your little guy is gonna get his sooner than that! :drinks:

Nice photo!

Dennis

Tigger
06-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Awesome looking young ones everybody. It's great to get the kids involved with shooting and hunting. My oldest loves to go hunting with me. She even writes about charlie hunting in school. Sure glad we live in a small rural town and her teacher's husband is a gunsmith.:)

We had taken the kids fishing. I always take along something for critters. After about an hour, I grabed the XP and checked the closest field. Sure enough one more woodchuck went to the big alfalfa field in the sky!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Tiggerr/Woodchucking20041.jpg