PDA

View Full Version : Shipping brass to Finland

TCLouis
12-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Well I volunteered to send a guy some "unique" cases that I load for his collection. It will be once fired, deprimed brass.

Figure I need to check on the issues with getting it there!
With the recent piss poor performance by homeland security they are likely looking for "real criminals" to pounce on and the once fired may trigger the sniffers enroute.

Any rools that I am a fixin to violate??

Rusty W
12-31-2009, 12:18 AM
I sent some to a fellow in Norway about a month ago. Cost less than 5 bucks in shipping and I marked the label "brass cases". I went to the post office with the brass in a zip lock bag and they walked me through it. All went well.

fatelk
12-31-2009, 01:08 AM
I've sent brass a couple times to a guy in Sweden. Same thing; labeled as brass cases, no problems. Unless Finland has some specific rules about importing brass, you should be fine.

Some countries have some really odd rules. I think you can find them on the USPS site. I've sold a very few things overseas via ebay and researched the rules to those countries. I once sold a "vintage racing pigeon timer" to someone in Tasmania, and I also sent some deactivated cartridges to a licensed collector in England.

mactool
12-31-2009, 04:57 AM
What ever rules the might be in the recieving country, must be dealt with by the recipient.
What is the rules for mailing/exporting brass to outside the states. Is a export declaration needed, or is there a max value, like the $100, when you import stuff, or what ?????

Gunlaker
12-31-2009, 06:30 PM
I can tell you this....

As a Canadian, I'd love to get brass out of the U.S. but homeland security has put a stop to that. Until earlier this year Buffalo Arms used to be the #1 supplier of brass for obsolete cartridges to Canada. They can no longer send brass out of the country without an export permit.

Chris.

Char-Gar
01-01-2010, 10:51 AM
I have mailed bullet molds to Finland without a problem. When you place the cases in the mail, you will fill out a custom's declaration that is fasten to the box. It will call for the value and the contents. I just list stuff as reloading supplies and let it go. I have never had a problem.

mactool
01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Look here for further information:
http://pmddtc.state.gov/regulations_laws/documents/official_itar/ITAR_Part_121.pdf

JIMinPHX
01-11-2010, 09:59 PM
A lot of European countries have rules against civilians owning military calibers. That's why the 9x21mm caliber exists. It's just a 9x19 Luger stretched out 2mm. The loading data is the same, right down to the COAL, & powder charge. The case is just 2mm longer to make it different from the Luger, so that civilians can own it. I don't know if that applies in this case or not.

mactool
01-13-2010, 01:33 PM
This is the answer I got from DDTC

"there is no minimum amount for ammunition or components thereof below which a license is not required.

In order to apply for a license form DDTC, you must be registered as an exporter of defense articles. Only US persons can register as exporters. The Registration fee is $2,250.00 per year.

Once registered an exporter can apply for export licenses, if he has a purchase order from a foreign customer. Licenses are issued only for the quantity and value of the purchase order.

Stephen M. Geis
DDTC Response Team
Contractor, Lionel Henderson & Co., Inc."