PDA

View Full Version : Educate me about Remington Model 7

No_1
12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Fellow Casters,

I picked up a Remington Model 7 in .243 for my daughter. It has a Redfield 3-12x44 scope and was in pretty good shape but since it is/was a Christmas present for my 16 y/o daughter and her first center fire bolt gun I had the stock refinished, a mercury tube and recoil pad installed. What I would like to know is YOUR experience and knowledge with Remington Model 7's. When I search for parts like stocks and triggers I come up with nothing. Do parts from Model 600 or 700 series fit? I do like the gun because it is very compact and I have already decided that if she does not like it then it may get re-barreled to 358 Winchester IF I don't like it in 243.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

rockrat
12-30-2009, 10:30 PM
It is my understanding that it is the model 600 action, but with a different bolt handle, not the dogleg one of the 600's.

If you want a 358, instead of rebarreling, just have JES reboring turn it into a 358 with a rebore/rechamber.

No_1
12-30-2009, 10:37 PM
That is a great idea, a re-bore will save from having to re-stock or modify the current stock.

Robert

Mk42gunner
12-31-2009, 12:30 AM
I haven't owned one, but there were differences between the wood and plastic stocks from the factory. The wood stocks with the schnabel seemed to fit me better.

When I was on ADAK, I remember one that was stored in the armory in .308, with iron sights; it balanced very well, I have wanted to get one and put a receiver sight on for use in the timber.

A smaller scope, such as a Leupold 1.5-5 would be about perfect, as far as fitting the size of the rifle.

Robert

clodhopper
12-31-2009, 01:06 AM
I bought one for my daughter in .260 rem. Worked up a 100 grain ballistic tip load and 140 speer hot core load that shot close enough together to not need sight corrections.
Those 140 grain loads in that small rifle were tedious to shoot, It wore me down pretty quick.
Good luck with the .358.

joesig
12-31-2009, 02:02 AM
I have a Model 7 in 6MM. Swapped the factory wood for factory synthetic and polished the trigger. It's a light, sweet little rifle now. As much fun as it would be in 358 or 7MM BR, the 6MM works well and is a nice match caliber to rifle weight.

I thought the 600 and XP100 were interchangeable and the 7 was its own platform. If you haven't already, you can try http://www.e-gunparts.com/ as a parts cross reference.

JIMinPHX
12-31-2009, 02:25 AM
When I was on ADAK,

I've been told that in the Adak National Forest, there's a girl behind every tree. :-P

Is that true?
:wink:

Houndog
12-31-2009, 08:01 AM
The model 7 is part of the Remington model 700 design family, but that and a few bolt parts are all that are the same. The trigger lever, stock, stock bolt attaching spacing, and rear tang are all different for starters. I built my Grand son a 25BR on a model 7 action for his first centerfire rifle. I used a synthetic stock, Jewell trigger, Douglas SS barrell in #2 contour cut to 18" and topped it with a Leupold 2-7 scope set in Leupold rings. It weighs just shy of 6 LBS. Of course Grandpa just had to try it out and the first Deer killed with it was a 4 point buck at 385 yards measured with a range finder! I know I should have let him bring first blood with it, but the temptation was just too great!

BTW that particular calibre was chosen because of it's extreme accuracy and efficiency and he must also learn to reload if he wants to use it!

WHITETAIL
12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
no 1, great shooting gun.
You will find out that it will
be a good carry gun in the woods.[smilie=p:

No_1
12-31-2009, 09:36 AM
I am sure it will be a good gun just as is but more than likely will need a trigger job and if there is a bolt on replacement then I want one. After holding it for some time last night I do like the compact size and light weight. I have a 6mm already in a Ruger #1 so am already set up with moulds and such and because I have this unexplainable need to collect die sets I am set there too.
I am on a short Christmas vacation at the moment but once I get home I will break it down for a serious internal cleaning and barrel scrubbing with JB's bore cleaning compound, gathering materials, casting bullets and generally figuring this thing out. Should make a nice project for the next couple months figuring this thing out!

Robert

kingstrider
12-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I had a stainless & synthetic Model 7 in .308 for 4 days and have regretted selling it ever since. It was a pawn shop find, no kidding but I got it last year for $125 OTD with a cheap scope. I wanted to keep it but already had a stainless .270 so I sold it at a gun show a few days later for $550. I never got to shoot it but the guy I sold it to said he had another just like it and that his sons always fought over who was going to use it for deer season. Having two solved the problem. I've been looking for another one since but know I'll never find one for even close to what I gave for that one.

No_1
12-31-2009, 10:27 AM
That was a great deal!

Robert

dubber123
12-31-2009, 10:45 AM
If the trigger is a Rem 700 unit, (and I believe it is), you can probably adjust it down to 3#. If it is the 700 trigger, it has 3 screw adjustments you can tune. I have never gotten one to go much below 3#, but I don't know what you require either. Good luck.

Jayhem
12-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I love my Model 7 SS 7mm-08. Best deer carry gun and caliber every made for deer.

The .243 cal model 7 has a very thin barrel. Highly doubtful that it would be safe to rebore it out larger. The .243 is a great caliber and with the right bullet is perfect for deer and the recoil is HIGHLY manageable.

danny.k
12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
The 600 and the 7 are different in many ways...
I had a 600Mohawk in 308 for a couple of years but sold it to a cousin cause he wanted it BAD.

A friend of mine bought a 7 in 350RM bout a year ago and it is a supersweet, handy little rifle but it kicks like a mule on fire:shock:.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/zeldafia/IMG_0574.jpg

Jayhem
12-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Model 7 hardwood in .243
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/DWald_photos/RemingtonModelSeven.jpg

Model 7 Stainless/synthetic .243
http://www.ssaa.org.au/officialreviews/243-bolt-action-centrefire/Remington-model-7-stainless.jpg

hoss-noogy
12-31-2009, 07:15 PM
I have one in 308 with the 18.5 inch barrel. Any good gunsmith can make the trigger right. Loaded full power it will get your attention off the bench. In 243 with the work you have done already it should be a pussycat. Slap a low powered scope on it and you have a first rate critter-gitter

No_1
12-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I agree with it being a pussycat. I will do the JB scrub to get it spotless on the inside then work up some loads with russian unique (Salut) to get Emily started. I am pretty sure that light cast loads with the recoil pan / mercury tube combo will make it feel like a .223 to her but provide a tremendous upgrade from her 218 Mashburn bee and other .22 calibers.

Robert

Mk42gunner
01-01-2010, 03:12 AM
I've been told that in the Adak National Forest, there's a girl behind every tree. :-P

Is that true?
:wink:

Trees, what trees. Not when I was there, we were closing both bases on the island down.

You could pretty much throw a rock across the whole National Forrest.

Robert