PDA

View Full Version : it's hard to tell the players without a program

watkibe
12-30-2009, 09:26 PM
The shooting sports industry sure has changed since I first started shooting. It used to be that Remington was Remington...period.
Now:
-Remington is also Marlin, NEF, and H&R
-Lyman is also Pachmayer, Trius, Tac Star, TargDots, UniDot, and A-Zoom
-ATK is also CCI, Speer, Federal, and Blount
Battenfield Technologies is also Frankford Arsenal, Caldwell, Tipton, Wheeler Engineering, PAST, and Adams & Bennet
-Hodgdon is also IMR and Winchester powders
- Somebody else owns Sith & Wesson...
- Last I knew, FN owned Winchester Repeating Arms and Browning.

It makes me admire a little bit more some of the companies who are still going it on their own, like MTM-Case Gard, Lee, Hornady, Ruger, Savage, and Hogue.

Like I said, its hard to keep track of all this conglomeration. Have I missed any ?

swheeler
12-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Accurate and Ramshot both owned by Western powder

lead-1
12-30-2009, 09:45 PM
The company Cerberus owns Remington and also Bushmaster, I'd say that is where Remington came up with the AR series of rifles with their name on them.

c3d4b2
12-30-2009, 09:49 PM
The company Cerberus ownes Remington and also Bushmaster, I'd say that is where Remington came up with the AR series of rifles with their name on them.

I think they also own DPMS.

Beretta, Benelli, Franchi, Stoger and A. Uberti are all owned by the same company.

cheese1566
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Dakota Arms went to Remington...

but Cor-Bon and Black Hills Ammo are still independent as far as I know.

oneokie
12-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Black Hills is owned by Hornady.

StarMetal
12-30-2009, 09:57 PM
The company Cerberus owns Remington and also Bushmaster, I'd say that is where Remington came up with the AR series of rifles with their name on them.

Some of Remington's AR's are DPMS.

Joe

mike in co
12-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Black Hills is owned by Hornady.

since when ....

family owned biz since day one

ya got some proof.....must be recent ??

mike in co

blaser.306
12-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Tompson Center is owned by Smith and wesson .

cheese1566
12-30-2009, 10:11 PM
since when ....

family owned biz since day one

ya got some proof.....must be recent ??

mike in co

That's what I thought too...my agency just picked up 8 cases of ammo from them today. A short 45 minutes south on I-90.

Heavy lead
12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Didn't Hornady absorb Pacific years ago? Lyman and Ideal? Redding-Saeco?
This has been going on forever, and will continue, it's not necessary bad, if it keeps them in business what the heck.

cheese1566
12-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Yep, as long as they can keep up in the areas of value, quality, and good customer service.

evan price
12-31-2009, 04:29 AM
ATK is:
Alliant powder
Intensity Optics
Champion traps & targets
Weaver scopes & accessories
Blazer ammo
CCI ammo
Independance ammo
Speer bullets
Speer ammo
Gunslick products
Nitrex optics
RCBS reloading gear
Fusion ammo
Estate ammo
Outers products
Shooters Ridge products
Ram-Line products
Federal ammunition

That's ALL under ATK's umbrella... formerly Honeywell.

They also run the Lake City military ammo plant.

I also heard that ATK has a partnership of ownership share in Magtech/CBC of Brazil.

I also heard that Winchester/Olin has a partnership or ownership in Santa Barbara of Spain.

These guys get around.

pmeisel
12-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Cerberus is in the planning stages of spinning off the "Freedom Group" of the firearms companies they own, consolidated under Remington administration but retaining the marketing uniqueness of the brands. Unclear how much of the company will be sold to the public for the $200 milliion they ask....

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20091021-704402.html

swheeler
12-31-2009, 11:17 AM
And let us not forget, Wilson Barrels/ Cooper Arms

scrapcan
12-31-2009, 01:42 PM
I saw an advertisement for an ammunition manufacturing company in Rapid City, SD for sale. Don't remember the price, but sure thought it could be Black Hills. anyone know if they are up for sale?

AZ-Stew
12-31-2009, 02:18 PM
Accurate and Ramshot both owned by Western powder

This group also includes the Montana X-treme line of products.

Regards,

Stew

Trifocals
12-31-2009, 03:37 PM
Remington also picked up Miller Arms and a couple of other companies under the Dakota Arms umbrella.

outdoorfan
12-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I talked to somebody reputable a few months back that said Remmy had taken over Savage.

I don't see this trend as a good thing when power keeps getting centralized in fewer & fewer hands.

pmeisel
01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
It appears to me they are buying up premium brand names (e.g. Dakota, Cooper), so they can sell premium-brand products, while using larger-scale manufacturing methods and efficiency of administration (instead of having customer service spread over 8 companies, you call one department in Madison NC, same with writing checks and paying bills, banking, setting up websites, IT support, all the necessary headaches of managing business administration).

They want to make money. And they are managed by people who know how to do that. Let's just hope they don't forget how to make good guns!

Note: I haven't been able to find anything about them acquiring Savage. I don't think they have.

Bent Ramrod
01-01-2010, 11:57 PM
It just came out in this quarter's Black Powder Cartridge News that Hodgdon bought Goex.

AZ-Stew
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Hodgdon's going to own EVERYTHING pretty soon. I'm not ragging on them. They're a good company and have kept their prices reasonable, despite their near monopoly on the powder business. They're a classic example of free enterprise and the American dream.

Regards,

Stew

TAWILDCATT
01-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Savage was bought out in 1995.and does not service any thing before that.
slight error on lyman.it was Barlow/Ideal/Marlin/Lyman.

exile
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I thought Black Hills owned Hornady, not the other way around. Oh well, like you said, its hard to keep track of everything.

exile

anachronism
01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Too many eggs in too few baskets.

pmeisel
01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Maybe, anachronism, but I think what you are seeing is that most firearms related businesses are small, in a business sense, and therefore affordable to buy. And most of the smaller businesses were founded and run by people who are more interested in guns than business.

So at some point the business becomes a burden, the owner wants to cash out and retire, and here is the nice man from Cerberus/ATK/etc. with a check and a contract....sometimes with a management contract, we'll pay you a salary to stick around and manage a piece of the operation for a couple years while we sort things out.....

Wayne Smith
01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
On the other hand, given the potential problems of manufacturing black powder, for example, especially in our lawyered society, it is probably good for someone with deep pockets to own Goex. Large companies have their advantages as well.