PDA

View Full Version : Sizing forwards or backwards

charger 1
05-26-2006, 06:37 AM
I've been noticing quite an accuracy difference/improvement if I use a lee sizer to size them front first then just use my sizeomatic for lubing. Having tried that and the typical backwards method used in lubesizers I noticed the first to give me better accuracy. And the top punch pressure really is no pressure so no chance of messing up.Has any one else tried this or am I talking out my other hole?

44man
05-26-2006, 07:59 AM
I have found better accuracy with the Lee sizer also. I do push some boolits through it backwards if they have big flat noses, helps seat gas checks better. Some boolits get the gas check seated in the lube sizer by just going in deep enough for that, hand lubed and then run through the Lee die. Some just get lubed in the lube sizer. It depends on what size my various size dies are as to what I need to do since I have very fiew boolits that need sized at all so most of my dies are oversize.
Most of my Lee dies are used to remove excess lube only but if they touch the boolits at all, they will size straighter.
Just have to be versatile and do what works, course ya need more tools! I have made a bunch of dies out of brass that I have pushed thousands of boolits through by hand. They show no wear at all and still work for some boolits.

Bass Ackward
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
Nose through sizing is superior (more idiot proof) than a lubrisizer. So anytime that you have a bullet that could .... be more easily distorted, you will probably notice better accuracy from the nose through sizing method. Examples are soft or smaller diameter / caliber bullets or long bore rides. But since guys swear by both methods, go with what works for you.

But you should check your lubrisizer for proper alignment also as you can build in problems if you aren't set up right. Even if you are careful. There is a certain amount of play to iron this out between the dies and nose punch. So I use H&I dies .001 over bullet diameter and size by the nose through method. KISS.