PDA

View Full Version : Has the primer shortage easied up around you?

sheepdog
12-30-2009, 10:44 AM
I been using up my old stocks, haven't been out there looking.

Jeffery8mm
12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Here in East Central Ms it seems that more and more are showing up locally. And the limits some of the stores had on them have been lifted. Average price is 30.00 to 35.00 per K.
Jeff

Shiloh
12-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Eased up? Yes, they are available. Prices are high to really inflated. I have been able to re-stock almost all I have used last year. Small rifle are still the hardest to get.

Shiloh

Jayhem
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
In Virginia we haven't had SP primers in gun shops in a year! I had to buy mine in PA while visiting family over Christmas there and even there it was a 500 primer limit per day! So I went 3 days in a row, haha. But it was only $2.99/100 for WSP.

epj
12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Primers are available here, but priced around $35/K.

Shuz
12-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Primers are available in the Spokane/Cd'A area from $27.95 to $40.00 per M. Lots of them at the last gun show and that was the range then..12/12/09.

philthephlier
12-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Phillips Wholesale in Covina, Ca. will put you on an eight week waiting list for 2000 primers at a pop. Folks that do a great deal of shooting can't get by with 1K primers per month. I don't shoot enough for that to be a problem. They haven't had any problems supplying 2K every 8 weeks for quite a while. Can't guarantee you'll get the brand you want all the time but size and type not a problem. Price usually about $30 per K, most powders available now without a wait. Only open Thurs, Fri, & Saturday to keep prices down. Very friendly people, located in an industrial park so get good directions if you are close enough to take advantage. Call them to get your name on their list.

SethD
12-30-2009, 01:39 PM
They are available locally, but only at scalpers prices. 5.00 a hundred seems about par.

rickster
12-30-2009, 01:54 PM
They are generally available here, but rationed, unless you want to pay a scalper's price. The stores are tired of being bought out by "hoarders."

I picked up 5K Wolf SR primers at Powder Valley for $110 while on my way to Thanksgiving dinner. That, combined with my normal stash should keep me going for awhile, since I have throttled back my shooting.

Papa smurf
12-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Never a shortage around here , just some higher and higher prices. 17/1000 to now 35/1000.
Good (but more costly) Shooting---------------------------Papa Smurf

sheepdog
12-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Well thats better. I'd rather buy then at $35/1000 then when stores were saying $17.50/500 plus have to buy a pound of powder and 500 projectiles. Those places lost my business forever.

fourdollarbill
12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
North Canton Ohio Kame's Sporting has a large amount to sell as of today. CCI small rifle for 29.99 !!!

quilbilly
12-30-2009, 11:51 PM
I wholesale fishing tackle so I get into a lot of sporting goods stores here in the Northwest. The supplies of small rifle and small pistol primers are almost backto normal in my stores so the prices has dropped back down on them (usually about $4 a slide). Large rifle and large pistol primers are still scarce so if you can find them, the price is still very high ($5-$6 per slide). The only store I have that has most sizes is out in Forks, Wash.
My problem has been specialty powders. I just bought a new lever action 30-30 for cowboy action shooing light loads with cast bullets. I found it only likes 5744 and all I had left was enough for 50 rounds. Treasure hunt!!

jdgabbard
12-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Never really was a shortage here... I've always been able to buy just about whatever I've wanted... Although at a slightly elevated price. There about 6 months ago for a shot time I noticed a few less on the shelfs. But I've always been able to get them for about $30/1k... Even before the gaggle...

Jumping Frog
12-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Only problem primers around here are SP. No problem with LP, LR, or SR.

GLynn41
12-31-2009, 10:04 AM
mostly still high

Ozark Shiner
12-31-2009, 11:24 AM
$30 - $35K in the Ozarks. No shortage. Bass Pro still limiting how many you can buy. The local shops don't. I buy from the local guys.

Dollar Bill
12-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Wolf LP just showed up in Clarksville @ $28/K, limit 3K/day. Up till now, I haven't seen any LP in almost a year, it seems.

nicholst55
01-01-2010, 03:39 AM
I saw some today on another forum; large and small pistol for $30 per thousand. Wonder if the seller was a scalper who waited too long to try and sell them? :-(

blikseme300
01-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Down here in the RGV primers are often available, but more pricey than BO. Jumps in price from $35 to $50+ is not uncommon.

Supply & demand in action.

Bliksem

http://bliksemseplek.com/boolits.html

Safeshot
01-06-2010, 04:07 AM
Shotgun 209 primers at the "Triple H Gun Club" one mile south of Linton IN on the State Hwy. Had a few cartons of 1000 this afternoon for $29.00 a carton plus tax. I do not know if they lasted the afternoon. At least they had "some" and the price was lower than it has been.

Fixxah
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I have been seeing more in Mass. but the prices are still high. I am down to a couple boxes.[smilie=1:

AZ-Stew
01-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I was in Cabela's New Years day. They had a good supply of everything except small pistol. Prices $30 - $43 depending on manufacturer and type. CCI Benchrest were $43, Remingtom SR Benchrest at $34 most others at about $33-34. They also had most powders.

Sportsman's Warehouse had 3K Remington 6-1/2 SR primers. I didn't look at the price.

Regards,

Stew

That'll Do
01-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Primers are starting to become regularly available again in my area.

Most shops still have a 500/day or week limit, but almost all brands and types are available. The only place I can think of that doesn't have a quantity limit is Gander Mountain, but their prices are ridiculously high.

kbstenberg
01-06-2010, 01:54 PM
I went to a show in Fargo N.D. a week ago. I saw 6/7 tables with a couple or three 1000 boxes all relativly high priced 40+ dollars. The Wolfs Denn dealer from Hugo Minn 50 thousand. Any brand or size you wanted. Very reasonably priced. 30 to 40 $ a thousand. Short time i was looking i saw 2 thousand going to single purchases.
Kevin

AZPaul
01-06-2010, 04:26 PM
I haven't spotted more primers but our local Sportsman's Warehouse was totally stocked with stacks of ammo when I went in there a few days ago. It almost scared me. Those shelves where collecting dust for almost a year.
New brands I've never seen before.

winelover
01-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Stopped in at Gander Mountain, in the metro Detriot area, to see if they had any primers. Sure did @ $59.90 / thousand. :holysheep Told the clerk that I'd pass.

Winelover

fredj338
01-06-2010, 08:08 PM
The few GS we have around here just don't have anything, powder or primers. I was fortunate to get my primers last June. I have enough to get by for a year or two, depending on my shooting. I still think your best bet is get abn order into Graf's or PV & just wait.

ebg3
01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Black Hills shipped our order a few weeks ago...originally placed it late summer. Wholesale price is still about $23/K for Winchester primers, large and small. That shows just how much some retailers are marking up primers. I think a fair retail price is no more than $30/K.

David2011
01-11-2010, 12:19 PM
Last July 20 (2009) I ordered 5000 small pistol primers from Cabela's. This morning I got an e-mail letting me know that they shipped January 8, 2010.

Fortunately, I'm seeing a lot more primers on the local shelves lately. Prices are running $35-40/K most places. One store was wanting $5.00/hundred and only selling 2-3 hundred per customer. I have seen a few at $2.99/ hundred.

David

twotoescharlie
01-11-2010, 01:27 PM
plenty of primers around here, 35-40 dollars a thousand. I'll wait.

TTC

gray wolf
01-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Well men I am about as mad as the rest of us about what they have done to our sport, But I guess we just have to find the best deal we can--given the location we are at and whats around.
For me the closest store = 3 miles away and he could care less about primers--He
Say's he can't get em. Next place is 40 miles each way in the state of NH.
They have always been OK but now they are $45 bucks a thou. with a small limit.
I could never order small from the net and also pay the hazzy matty fee.
But the wife and I put a few $$$ aside and ordered from powder valley.
Order goes out Wed. I will get it on next Wed.

prices in NH. 3 thou. LP @ $$45 per K = $135.00
2 pounds of tight group@ 20 per. = 40.00
At least 6 gallons of gas= 16.00
+-------------
$191.00 :brokenima
Powder valley
Wolf LP primers= $25.50 per thou. I got 3 thou.
Powder was $14.10 per LB. got 2 pounds :coffeecom [smilie=2:
22.50 Has Mat.
Insurance .50
Shipping $9.95
--------------
order came to $137.65

Looks I saved over $53.00 on the oder. :)
Local thief and the rest of the Ally Babba crime sucken money hungry A$$ holes can take it in the ear (for now)
Wish I had more to spend. and the wife said Wow we saved a little money.
Now can I get new mounts for my rifle?? Ha,Ha life is good.

GW.

XWrench3
01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
well, i can USUALLY find what i need. but the price has about doubled:Fire:. sometimes, as the consumer, the laws of supply and demand really suck!:Fire::Fire:

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Gray Wolf,

I'm surprised they didn't charge TWO haz-mat fees, most do, as they can't be shipped in the same box . . .

bbs70
01-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Went to gun show this past saturday.
Could find only 1k win large pistol primers. $32.00
Only small pistol primers were magnum primers and only 3k of them.

I did see one dealer with cci large pistol primers, but he wanted $50. for each of the 3 boxes he had.

I'll wait.

Wireman134
01-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Have you checked Gunbroker lately. People buying for $60@1K. Went to a local shop last month $32@1K. But not much in stock. I would imagine price will increase their for next lot they receive. Is Haz mat now $25? I hear

gray wolf
01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
No haz mat is 22.50 and they can mix and match and ship powder and primers in the same box.

GW.

Rex
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Here in the Nebraska panhandle I bought a brick of SP primers about a month ago from a local gun shop, CCI SP MAG. Price was $29.95 + tax. CAbela's, up the road, is a different story.
Rex

Murphy
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm located in a very rural area of Oklahoma. The only place to buy primers locally has been dry for sometime now. I haven't spoken with the owner about if and when he'll get more primers in. I'm fairly certain he'll try to stay 'fair' on the price however...or at least hopefully.

On the other hand, I have seen on Gunbroker where some are now beginning to offer 5K sleeves of CCI small pistol..etc, with a beginning bid of $160.00. Which hopefully will start a down trend on prices on Gunbroker in regards to primers.

I'm like everyone else here, not one bit happy about what has taken place in regards to not only primer prices, but other loading supplies as well.

I did sit back and think it over awhile back and came to the conclusion that all in all? We casters/reloaders are still way ahead of the rest of the crowd who only shoot factory ammunition. In my area, a simple box of .38's (50 rounds) will cost a fella close to $18-$19 out the door. $18-$19 a thousand added to the cost of my own loads isn't good I'll admit, but the alternative isn't acceptable either.

A bitter pill I'll admit, but much like others I'm going to hold on a bit longer before I start picking up any more primers.

Just my 2 cents,

Murphy

epj
01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Primers are more available here, around $35/K. Saw some at a gun show this past weekend at $32, but didn't really need any. Also saw some at $40+. They weren't moving.

bpg76
01-12-2010, 10:32 AM
My local shop in wv i go to has been dry for a year.can still get powder there.the other shop in town wants 45.00 a brick.we have a big shop in the next county with indoor ranges and the works he has anything you want but there powder is 30.00 a pound and primers 40.00 a brick.luckily i have enough to get buy and if my favorite shop runs out of powder walmart is cheaper on powder than the oher places. 4 1/2 years ago primers were 15.90 a thousand.sure miss those days

9.3X62AL
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
The local shop recently received a LOT of primers and powders, and the prices were almost halved from their former exorbitant cost. That was good to see, although $39/1K isn't a "bargain". The manager said that her prices would likely come down further as more inventory becomes available, but they are still concerned about being stripped out by hoarders--so limits are still in place, but increased substantially (to 1K per day).

As this components shortage continues--but seems to be winding down--I am more and more convinced that hoarders and profiteers bear the greatest responsibility for its causation and continuation. I think a retailer has a right to make a fair profit on any item he/she stocks and sells, but doubling or tripling your cost is NOT a way to build customer goodwill.

runfiverun
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
lets see there was 1 box of win lr's 2 boxes of fed 210's a bunch of cci lr's and even rem lr's.
sr's lpistol sp's and shotgun primers.
all marked 29,95
the newer boxes were 31.95
there used to be two 8lb jugs of i-4895 there also,and there also used to be an 8 lber of 2400.
haven't seen that in a while.
no limits either.

shdwlkr
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
In my area you can buy 400 primers if what they have is what you need.
Total primer inventory is around. maybe 4000 primers.

ebg3
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Yes, retailers need to make a profit to stay in business. It's up to the retailer what they charge but in my opinion, the % over cost should be reasonable. Knowing that wholesale cost on winchester primers is still around $112/sleeve shipped, it is shocking and disappointing to see some of these prices on primers. I heard one retailer claim his cost had gone up so much on primers that he was having to sell tham at $40/K...I bought several sleeves from his very wholesale source and got them for $115/sleeve! Please don't see this as a hate rant or a slam on retailers. I just think reloaders should really know the truth about some of these prices, and if you can afford to buy in bulk from a wholesaler that is the way to go. Keep what you think you need and pass the savings on to other shooters.:grin:

ETA: I'm refering to a case of 5000 primers as a sleeve.

pjh421
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
I would rather be messin' with my casting/swaging/reloading stuff than just about anything else but these prices are ridiculous. They can take their priners and shove them where the sun don't shine. I'll find something else to do like work on the house, spend time with the family, etc. I refuse to participate in such nonsense.

Paul

Ken 45LC
01-13-2010, 03:50 PM
I was just at the shop I usually buy from last night. No restrictions on how many and they had a good selection by brand at about $30/k. They did mention however that there is supposed to be a 5% increase in April on all ammo and such. What the heck is up with that, I thought prices should be going down not up. Wasn't the reason for the first price jump due to the cost of brass and copper going nuts 2 years ago? Well the cost of brass and copper went down, but the price of primers sure didn't. I guess it could be worse.

Ken

BigBlack
01-13-2010, 05:46 PM
in stock here now at $50 per 1000 for wolf.

dakotashooter2
01-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Around her pretty much all sizes are available but brand selection is still limted. I see mostly CCI. and at about $30 K. Cabela's was $10 higher.

Wireman134
01-14-2010, 10:29 AM
No haz mat is 22.50 and they can mix and match and ship powder and primers in the same box.

GW.

You see it is true. $5 in a year. I paid only $20 in Jan. 2009!

http://www.siriusrocketry.biz/ishop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=297&zenid=f912deb62a750b5ef287aacb91e7c649

http://www.wcarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268

GLynn41
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
yep but not the price which is expected

jdgabbard
01-14-2010, 06:38 PM
I can confirm Murphy's statement. Idabel is an extremely rural area in southeastern Oklahoma. It might as well be in Texas. I'm from a county not terribly far away, Atoka. And I'll say this. In Atoka there is one gentleman that I know of that was selling primers.

The last time I went in to his shop he laughed at me when I ask and said those were a thing of the past and he would no longer stock them. He said he couldn't get them, no one could and I should stop handloading. At the time I was still picking up plenty of primers from my source in Tulsa, but competitive pricing is always good. I told him that I was buying them buy the 1k every week for $32 for CCI out the door. He laughed and said he didn't believe me, but if I was telling the truth I should stock up because they were not going to be available to the public anymore... This "Gun Dealer" I believe buys solely from Gun Broker...

But for what its worth I went to the last Gunshow here in Tulsa. I got there around 2-3pm, and I had no problem buying about 4k worth of primers. I got them for about $30 a piece.

I'm located in a very rural area of Oklahoma. The only place to buy primers locally has been dry for sometime now. I haven't spoken with the owner about if and when he'll get more primers in. I'm fairly certain he'll try to stay 'fair' on the price however...or at least hopefully.

On the other hand, I have seen on Gunbroker where some are now beginning to offer 5K sleeves of CCI small pistol..etc, with a beginning bid of $160.00. Which hopefully will start a down trend on prices on Gunbroker in regards to primers.

I'm like everyone else here, not one bit happy about what has taken place in regards to not only primer prices, but other loading supplies as well.

I did sit back and think it over awhile back and came to the conclusion that all in all? We casters/reloaders are still way ahead of the rest of the crowd who only shoot factory ammunition. In my area, a simple box of .38's (50 rounds) will cost a fella close to $18-$19 out the door. $18-$19 a thousand added to the cost of my own loads isn't good I'll admit, but the alternative isn't acceptable either.

A bitter pill I'll admit, but much like others I'm going to hold on a bit longer before I start picking up any more primers.

Just my 2 cents,

Murphy