PDA

View Full Version : without bullet lube???

jwisley
12-30-2009, 12:31 AM
I am currently casting a 215LBT for my suppressed .300 whisper. I have been told that the lube on cast bullets spins off and gums up suppressors. Mine is not capable of disassembly. I am using gas checks. is it possible to shoot these without lube when using gas checks? or is there another solution? I'm getting ready to get a .44 suppressed from SRT and I am wanting to cast for it. Really hate to have to go to jacketed.

Thanks for the info,
John

Marlin Hunter
12-30-2009, 12:56 AM
I would be more worried about the check falling off, and getting stuck in the suppressor. I don't think you need a gas check if the boolit won't be breaking the sound barrier. Can you try Liquid Alox? That stuff wont fling off

lonewelder
12-30-2009, 01:06 AM
at sub sonic you should not need a gc.but you still need lube.think of it as a pistol bullet.

Recluse
12-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Figure I'm going to get pounded over this, but oh well. . .

I've never had great luck or success using cast/lead boolits with suppressed anything firearms. I've always gone jacketed, just to save me grief, trouble, frustration and expense in the long run.

Part of the price I pay, I guess.

:coffee:

Echo
12-30-2009, 02:15 AM
+1 for Mule Snot times 2. I don't have a Whisper, but suppressors (or brakes) will clog up eventually w'lead tails from the boolits. I shot a High-Standard ray gun (well, it LOOKED like a ray gun, with barrel weights and muzzle brake)) back in the 60's. I had to dismount and clean the brake periodically to get rid of the lead tails that .22 bullets leave behind on exit from the muzzle. I will bet the Whisper will do the same thing, so think twice about using cast boolits in a gun whose surppressor is not de-mountable.

jwisley
01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys for all the info.

runfiverun
01-01-2010, 06:59 PM
have you though about using c.o.w. as a backer with your unlubed boolit?

cajun shooter
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
While a member of our swat team we had several supressed weapons. We were told by the makers to use jacket type bullets only. We did have a High Standard 22lr pistol but the supressor on it was a take down type and could be cleaned and repaired. I would stay with the j bullets.