PDA

View Full Version : Using Lyman#358430 in 35 Remington

quack1
04-26-2005, 07:14 AM
I have a question for anyone shooting plain base bullets in 35 Rem. I am trying to shoot Lyman #358430 in a Remington Mod 14. The bore of the gun is pit free and slugs .3575 across the lands. I am casting straight wheelweights, air cooled, sized .359 and lubed with NRA formula alox and beeswax. I’m seating the bullets to engrave about .015 when chambered. So far I have tried 11/unique, 15/2400, 12/herco, 18/5744. After 3or 4 shots of any of these loads, the barrel is leaded worse than I have ever seen. The first wet patch will push out slivers and chunks of lead and brushing then patching will get even more slivers out. The patches look like they have been lead plated. I’m getting tired of cleaning every few shots. Has anybody else run in to this severe of leading, and what did you do to remedy it? Am I trying to push plain base bullets too fast with the loads I have listed? Thanks for any suggestions.

Bass Ackward
04-26-2005, 08:06 AM
Has anybody else run in to this severe of leading, and what did you do to remedy it? Am I trying to push plain base bullets too fast with the loads I have listed? Thanks for any suggestions.

Yo Quack,

The simple answer is yes. The more complicated answer is maybe.

Sounds like you have a lube, possibly a size problem, or you don't have all the copper out. There is a process here. Pick a load. Cut it in half. See what happens. I have shot straight a GC, WW bullet to over 3000 fps without leading. No accuracy either, but that is a different issue.

My guess is that you are simply running too fast. Slow it down and come back if you still have problems. Personally, I would try 10-11 grains of 2400 and see what happens. If you lead there, something is wrong.