PDA

View Full Version : Dual PID Temperature Controller

theperfessor
12-29-2009, 01:13 AM
As part of a long term process of developing the technology and knowledge base to make custom bullet molds it was necessary to have available a means to control and monitor the temperature of a lead melting pot and a bullet mold. I decided to build a dual temperature controller using digital PID controllers, appropriate type K thermocouples, and other components supplied by Auber Instruments Inc.

A PID controller is a device that compares the set point value (what you want) to the actual process value (what you've got) from your sensor over a period of time. PID stands for Proportional-Integral-Derivative. Proportional control merely looks at the difference between set point and process values to determine whether to turn on or off an output. A simple bimetallic thermostat operates this way, but this mode of control produces overshooting/undershooting and a constant cycling of the process value above and below the set point value Derivative refers to the rate of change of the process variable over time as control action takes place. Integral control is based on the total time and magnitude of the error between the process value and the set point value. These latter two modes are designed to minimize undershoot/overshoot and improve system stabilization. These particular controllers have a discrete (on/off) output; during operation the controller cycles it on and off for certain time periods to maintain control as closely as possible.

The Auber PID controllers have a number of user-friendly features that make them work well for this type of application. They accept analog input directly from a thermocouple (and other sensors), can be operated on a range of input AC voltages, and can be had with internal relay outputs or DC outputs to operate external mechanical or Solid State Relays. They also can actuate external alarms (which I am not utilizing in this application), will auto-tune themselves, and are small and relatively inexpensive.

Parts List
2 - PID controllers Auber #SYL-2352 $89.00
1 - Type K thermocouple w/6” probe Auber #WRNK-171 $13.50
1 - Type K thermocouple ¼ -20 probe Auber #TC-K6 $6.85
2 - 25A Solid State Relays Auber #RS1A40D25 $30.00
2 - Panel mount thermocouple connectors Auber #TCCON $9.80
1 - dual outlet 110VAC female socket $3.00
1 - cable clamp $1.00
1 - approx 48” of 1/4” x 6” 6061 aluminum plate $24.00
1 - fuseholder and box of 20A Type T fuses $5.00
1 - tube of heat sink silicone grease $4.00
1 - 110VAC three prong male plug -
1 - terminal strip -
1 - 6' 12 ga 3 conductor stranded rubber coated cable -
miscellaneous 14 ga hookup wire (red, yellow, black, white) -
miscellaneous crimp on connectors -
miscellaneous screws -
bits and pieces of repurposed shop scrap -
(unpriced items are items I had on hand) Total* $186.15

*(Total does not include the $19.50 for three orders from Auber; I should have made one order and saved $13.00)

Construction
I wanted to make a fairly compact unit so a 3-D CAD system was used to aid the design process. The Auber site has technical information on their products, including the dimensions of the major components. Other components that were on hand were simply measured using suitable tools. Each component was turned into a simple rectangular object and locate in space to enable the box to be built around it. The overall dimensions of the box ended up being 8" long, 4-1/2" high, and 6-1/4" deep. Once this was done it was easy to take the six box panels and locate hole centers and other relevant features. Each panel was then dimensioned and printed as an individual part to take to the machine shop..

The box panels are made from 1/4” aluminum plate which was cut to size by sawing and milling. All the holes were drilled and counterbored where required using a vertical milling machine. The square holes in the front panel for the two PID controllers were milled, as were the holes for the thermocouple socket. The thermocouple sockets were designed to be mounted on 12 – 16 gauge sheet metal so these had to be recessed into the front to allow the rear spring clip to lock them in place. The area around the cable clamp hole on the inside of the right panel was also relieved for the same reason. The hole for the 110VAC socket was also milled out.

The holes were tapped using a hand tapping machine.

The bottom, front, and both sides were then clamped up to maintain size and squareness and TIG welded on the inside. The corner brackets used as attachment points for the top and back panels were then welded in place.

The box was then returned to the mill and the holes for the top and rear screw holes were drilled, again followed by hand tapping. The box was then assembled to give it rigidity and clamped into the mill vise, where the bottom vent slots were cut. The top was removed and clamped in the vise and the vent slots were cut.

All the components were given a thorough cleaning, first in a parts-washing tank, followed by a wipedown with acetone.

The terminal strip for the 110VAC connections and the fuseholder were screwed into place first, followed by the cable clamp. The 110VAC cable was then anchored into place. The black (hot) lead had a female spade lug crimped on and then it was connected to the fuseholder. The white (neutral) wire was extended to the terminal strip where it was stripped at intervals and looped around the screws on one side of the terminal strip. The green (ground) wire was connected to one of the mounting screws on the end of the terminal strip, where it would ground to the case. A jumper wire with a female spade lug crimped on one end and stripped at intervals on the other end was used to connect the fuseholder to the terminal strip.

The thermocouple wires were then cut off by about six inches to provide a length of wire to go from the thermocouple socket to the controller. The cut ends were stripped and bent into a loop. The thermocouple was connected to the male plug, and the short section was connected to the female socket., leaving the spade lugs unconnected for the moment. Polarity is very important here - my thermocouple wires were marked red positive and had a red thread in the wire covering.

The SSRs are mounted with the power terminals on the bottom, where the terminal strip makes inserting the wire difficult, so 12 gauge black jumpers wire connected before they were mounted to the case. Heat sink grease was applied to the bottom of the SSRs before mounting.

The PID controllers each had four eight inch long 14 gauge jumper wires connected – black and white to the AC power terminals, red to the positive SSR coil output, yellow to the negative SSR coil output.

The thermocouple sockets were inserted and anchored into place with the supplied spring clips. The PID controllers were inserted into the face and the retaining clips were put on loosely. The thermocouple wires were connected to the proper terminals on the PID controller, which was then securely anchored with the spring clip. The yellow and red wires hooked to the proper polarity terminals of the SSR, and the white and black wires connected to the 110VAC terminal strip.

One of the power wires of the SSR was connected to a black (hot) terminal on the terminal strip. The other was connected to one of the brass terminals on the 110VAC socket. The 20A socket had the connector strip on the side removed so that each plug-in was controlled separately. The silver (neutral) side of the socket was not altered so only one white wire was needed to connect it to the terminal strip. No ground wire was used as the socket grounds to the box.

The 110VAC socket was then mounted to the top panel and a metal cover was secured in place. A fuse was inserted into the fuseholder and the top and back panels were then mounted to the box. A three prong male plug was connected to the end of the power cable, completing the assembly.

Operation
The thermocouples were plugged in and the unit was plugged into a heavy duty extension cord on a 20A branch circuit. It was thrilling when nothing exciting happened and everything powered up normally. The units were preset at 50F and the thermocouples were exposed to ambient air temperature and within a few minutes both stabilized within one degree of the same 67-68F temperature reading.

With everything working normally it was time to test the unit. A simple thermocouple holder for the Lyman 20 pound bottom pour lead pot was made from shop scrap. It allows the thermocouple probe to be inserted into the melt to a consistent depth and can be swung out of the way for fluxing when the probe is removed.

Since a bullet mold was not available for preheating, a one pound lead ingot was drilled and tapped with a 1/4-20 thread and the other thermocouple was screwed into it. A protective aluminum plate was placed over the hot plate used for preheating and eight ingots, including the instrumented one, were placed on top.

The Lyman furnace and hot plate were plugged into the appropriate sockets and both units were turned all the way one, effectively cutting out the thermostats built into each unit and allowing the PID controller to cycle the power to the devices. Again nothing exciting happened.

The set point value of the controllers were then entered. The lead pot was set to 725F, the hot plate to 325F. Within a minute or two the temperature reading began to increase. Within 10 – 12 minutes the hot plate was approaching the desired temperature and the auto-tune function was engaged..It overshot the temperature by about 40F the first time but settled down within a few minutes and held temperature within about +/- 10F after a while. This was not unexpected, as it is a system with a powerful input to a low thermal mass with a lot of surface area exposed to air currents.

Within about 20 minutes the lead pot was approaching the set point value and the auto-tune was engaged. It overshot by about 30F at first but stayed within +/-5F after that, with +/- 2F control most of the time. No material was added or removed from the pot at this time so how good control will be during operation is yet to be determined. It is expected that temperature swings can be minimized by preheating ingots to a consistent temperature on the hot plate.

In the future I plan to attach a thermocouple to several special molds, but I do not plan to drill and tap all my molds. I think that putting a mold in the middle of a bunch of ingots held at a specific temperature on a hot plate would work just fine.

The system was operated at steady-state conditions for several hours. At no time did the area of the side panels under the SSRs get warm enough to feel. No heat was felt coming through the air vents on the top. Despite the small size of the unit it runs cool. So far I am pleased with the results.

Pictures
Included here are various shots of the completed unit:

lwknight
12-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Now that is one nice setup!! You have a lot more patience than I do for sure.

And I'm sure glad that you know how to use paragraphs, unlike a few wordy writers that make a page full of alphabet

Frozone
12-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Well Done!

I had to look twice at the pid02.jpg - It looks like you have the smoke escaping ;-)

theperfessor
12-30-2009, 01:07 AM
There is some silicon grease on the left SSR and a little bit of reflection off my weld/work table in that shot that makes it look like a smoke pump in operation. Thanks for king words and previous assistance. It is appreciated.

Dale53
12-30-2009, 01:21 AM
That is a worthy project - the report and images are VERY well done.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Dale53

pjh421
02-22-2010, 02:02 PM
I enjoyed this report and admire your ingenuity. Its nice to see how we can improve our setups and make the boolitmaking process more efficient. Now if I could just find the time and money.

Paul

bkbville
03-02-2010, 06:17 PM
Any further updates on how this is working?

Do you get overshoots when the level of lead is lower in the pot?

Also, is the mould temperature turning out to be constant? With the application and removal of heat from the uncontroled source (i.e. the poor of lead into the mould and removal of the casting on a somewhat irregular basis) I wouldn't expect it to.

cbrick
03-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Where are the mods at? This isn't a sticky yet?

Perfessor, I would like your blessing to make this an article for the lasc.us site.

I use the Magma electronic temp controller but your idea of a second PID for mold temp is quite interesting. I also would like an update on temp stability as the level of alloy in the pot changes.

One difference with the Magma pot is that the thermocouple attaches to a nut that's welded to the center bottom of the pot (on the outside). The heating unit wraps around the middle of the pot so there is a time delay before heat reaches the thermocouple. This unit more than cut in half the temp swings of the mechanical thermostat but temp still swings +- 15 degrees of the set temp (or about 30 degrees). Once the pre set temp of 700 degrees is reached and the power is shut off heat is still flowing to the thermocouple and it reaches about 715-717, as it cools with the power off and reaches the pre set 700 and switches on the temp continues to drop to about 685.

As the level of alloy drops the temp is maintained within the same +- 15 degrees as apposed to continuing to increase as most electric pots do.

Please keep us informed, fascinating project.

Rick

theperfessor
03-03-2010, 02:29 AM
You're more than welcome to make a sticky of this or post it on the lasc.us site.

I haven't used it much as I have been running up a batch of 10 bullet mold blanks, 4 of 7075 aluminum, 4 of 2024 aluminum, and 2 of Dura Bar malleable iron. I've got the blocks and sprue plates nearly done and when I get them finished I plan to make one of each into some test molds with cavities running from .250 to .500 inch so I can plot mold cavity size versus bullet size for different alloys. That way I'll know what size to make a cavity to drop a bullet of a specific size for a given alloy.

Right know I've got the students in my class finishing up a run of 2-lb lead head hammer handles and 00/0000 ball molds. Not only will the students get to keep their hammers and molds for their own use, but I will offer some of each engraved with the castboolits URL on them here for a site benefit/Ken benefit auction. Look for them about the first of May. Next week is our midterm break and I plan to make the hammer head mold then. If I have the time I'll make two of them and offer one of them for auction here also.

We will have our Student Hammer Pour of 2010 in late April and I plan on firing up the small lead pot rig shown here to let the students cast some balls as well as hammer heads. Should get more performance data then which I will then post here.

scrapcan
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Perfesor,

Why in hades are you not in my area? I would love to have the cahnce to have a good instructor for machine tools. Hell I would just like to have the opportunity to take a class. I tis looking like I may be doing a 10 mile round trip to take a class out of state when/if it is offered again.

theperfessor
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I can't think of anything that might be more fun than having a bunch of the interested guys from here in a machining class. Can't complain about the students I have now, by the time I get them they're interested or gone, but a whole class of bullet casters - what a thought! I know I would learn a lot from you guys, just like I have from reading the posts here.

Bet you'll have to pay more for out-of-state tuition unless there's a reciprocity agreement. Too bad. Hope you get in and enjoy yourself.

I will start taking some pictures of the ball molds as we make them and post a step-by-step writeup of the process from start to finish here later, might be interesting to a few people.

Lee
03-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Buy your PID's right here on site for $20 each, with $15 going to the site! See Benefits........

theperfessor
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a win-win to me. These little mini-PID controllers aren't much harder to
hook up than a switch and doorbell transformer. And the site benefits from it. Cool.

chrisx1
03-25-2010, 12:58 AM
Does anyone know of an easy way to use a PID to control a gas heat source? I use a propane burner on my shotmaker, and if there ever was a piece of equipment that needs constant temp regulation, it's a shotmaker.

Chris

Frozone
03-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Sure, Shouldn't be too hard.

See http://shop.ebay.com/items/gas solenoid?_dmd=1&_sop=12&rvr_id=&keyword=gas+solenoid&geo_id=1&crlp=4425805313_1&MT_ID=474&tt_encode=raw

provides a rather good sample of appropriate equipment.

You will need to adjust some PID parameters, like duty cycle ect. and don't forget a few basic safety features.

by adding a second solenoid you can even have a 2 stage burner.
Add a third valve (manual) that provides about half the heat you need (it provides an 'idler heater) and you can light manually and you don't need a pilot light.

ANeat
03-25-2010, 01:21 AM
Chris you would need some kind of valve for the gas. For example I have a gas heater in my garage with a thermostat. If you had that control valve with the PID switching the valve on/off you could control the burner. There would need to be either a pilot light or ignition transformer. You would probably want a 10 or 20 degree differential so the valve isnt shutting on/off right at the setpoint.

Probably not an "easy" way I guess ;)

starbits
03-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Does anyone know of an easy way to use a PID to control a gas heat source? I use a propane burner on my shotmaker, and if there ever was a piece of equipment that needs constant temp regulation, it's a shotmaker.

Chris

Here is a link to the beer site which has a pid controller propane burner.
<http://www.alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus.html>

If you look at the third photo down what you are looking at is a PID controlled propane burner. Where the pipe comes out of the rail there is a "T". One side of the "T" goes through a ball valve to a yellow hose. Note the ball valve is only partway opened. This is for a pilot light and you adjust the pilot with the ball valve. The vertical "T" pipe goes through a fully opened ball valve and then through a PID controlled solenoid to the burner. So when you are at temperature only the pilot is lit. When the temp drops the PID opens the solenoid valve and the pilot lights the gas burner. Pot warms up PID closes the solenoid valve and the gas to the burner shuts off leaving just the pilot light on. Pretty nice setup I thought.

Starbits

Lee W
03-25-2010, 06:15 PM
The best way for gas burners is a proportional valve and a PID with an analog output. (either mA or V output.)

Not a very cheap option.. (Ebay is the cheapest by every meaning of the word.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Festo-MPYE-5-M5-010-B-Proportional-Control-Valve-145PSI_W0QQitemZ350332350244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPne umatic_Hydraulic_Valves_Parts?hash=item51916f6f24

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Temperature-Controller-PID-Kiln-0-10V-Output-Ramp-Soak_W0QQitemZ350264111157QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item518d5e3035

broken-mold
09-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Perfessor,
Very nice work. Do you happen to have a wiring diagram for this unit? I think I have almost enough left over parts from past projects to build one and would like to be sure of the wiring.

Mal Paso
09-06-2011, 11:31 PM
I used those little TC-K6 probes with the threaded nut removed. The probe is rated 1800* so I silver soldered the probes into the bottom of the tanks. It's angled so the tip with the junction inside is right next to the valve rod and 1/2" off the bottom to avoid thermal drain. My first try was on the bottom but the reading was 40* low. Now I get perfect alloy temperature down to 5/8 ".

dromia
09-13-2011, 06:11 AM
Yes Perfessor a fine article in deed, thank you.

Duly stickied.

Frozone
09-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Here is the one I just finished last nite.

Dual PID controllers and a digital thermometer for mold temps.
The main PID Runs the Main Pot. The smaller one (top right) controls my mold 'oven'. More on that later.

Both PIDs are capable of 18A loads, Max 20A total for the both , if the house supply can handle that much. Power input is by 10G wire.
This is accomplished by a contactor to remove the heavy load from the on/off switch.

When you switch things on you only energize the Main PID and a 12 VDC supply. The 12V supply then supplies power to the aux PID and the thermometer (it also powers the LED circuits)). The 12V supply also pulls in the power relay (2 30A poles) energizing the SSRs.

The main PID has a 3 LED warning system Red for hot/ Green for good/ and Blue for cold.

The thermometer is the lower right. It uses a pt100 RDT with a front connection to read the mold temp. A warning LED is available to warn of low/high temps.
The thermometer can be switched off when not needed.

The auxiliary PID runs a hot plate that has my 'oven' on it. I took a 1/2" steel plate and welded a series of box tubing to it. This tubing, which is sealed on the back end, holds the molds while they heat. It transfers heat better than just setting them on the plate. I can get 6 heating that way too. I even added a couple small round pipes to hold HP pins for heating.
This PID also has a LED warning system and it too can be shut off if not used. It can, of course, be use to control a second melter is you so desire.

theperfessor
09-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Very nice job! I don't know if you remember, but you gave me some good advice on using extra thermocouple wire to hook up plugs and sockets. I took your advice when I built my controller.

Your help was appreciated then and now. Thanks.

sidecarmike
03-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Well Done!

I had to look twice at the pid02.jpg - It looks like you have the smoke escaping ;-)

Ive got this if he needs it.

:-D

CraigOK
04-16-2014, 02:42 PM
wow those are truly impressive both on the knowledge level required and the craftsmanship in executing.

Bob Maerdian
02-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Dear Perfessor,

I have been very impressed with your write up regarding the PID that you built described above. I was also very impressed with your account of the improvements that you made to a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer.

At any rate the reason I'm writing is that I would like to purchase one of these PID devices. The reason I'd like to purchase a PID from you is because I am very chalanged when it comes to putting together an electrical device. I'm 78 years old and a retired MSG and teacher. I still shoot and cast bullets and I sure would like to try to cast better using one of these PID tools.

I have 3 Lee pots, a Lyman and a Wagge pots. I vary the pots with the alloy I'm casting. Two of the Lee pots have problems The new one (3 months old) seems to have a problem with the thermostat the temperature varies a lot. The other does nlt get much above 600*. I need to get some way to keep a stable temperature in these pots.

Would it be possible to purchase a PID from you? If you could put one together for me what would be the cost and how soon could I look forward to working with it?

Thank you,

Bob Maerdian
kossuth@pacbell.net

theperfessor
02-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Bob - I'm extremely flattered that you would want to buy something like this from me, so it is with regret that I must say no. There are folks here who make and sell kits and fully wired units that can serve your needs better. Maybe a post titled "Who sells finished PIDs" or something similar might get you some responses.

I am just getting back into business after facing some life changing medical issues and must remain focused on my basic business needs and products at this time, which is machined (not electrical) products.

Once again my apologies, and good luck, they really are nice to use.

Mike W1
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Dear Perfessor,

I have been very impressed with your write up regarding the PID that you built described above. I was also very impressed with your account of the improvements that you made to a Lyman 450 Lubrisizer.

At any rate the reason I'm writing is that I would like to purchase one of these PID devices. The reason I'd like to purchase a PID from you is because I am very chalanged when it comes to putting together an electrical device. I'm 78 years old and a retired MSG and teacher. I still shoot and cast bullets and I sure would like to try to cast better using one of these PID tools.

I have 3 Lee pots, a Lyman and a Wagge pots. I vary the pots with the alloy I'm casting. Two of the Lee pots have problems The new one (3 months old) seems to have a problem with the thermostat the temperature varies a lot. The other does nlt get much above 600*. I need to get some way to keep a stable temperature in these pots.

Would it be possible to purchase a PID from you? If you could put one together for me what would be the cost and how soon could I look forward to working with it?

Thank you,

Bob Maerdian
kossuth@pacbell.net

Anyone of these links could fix you up with a plug & play unit. You could also shoot an inquiry to "Uncle Russ" on the Cast Bullet Assoc. forum as he also does them.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?207-OBIII-s-Corner
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?221976-CompeteCast-PID-temperature-controller
http://jconninv.com/index.shtml
http://www.auberins.com/

Chris C
01-24-2016, 10:40 AM
You guys and your electronic skills are amazing. However, my knowledge of electricity limits me to replacing an electrical cord on a lamp, small appliance or power tool when they become frayed too much to be safe. I look at the maze of wires shown in some of these pictures and my eyes cross involuntarily.

I just started casting this week (I know, I know, no-one is that green!) ;-) But what I noticed right off is not being able to control the temperature in my brand new Lyman 20# Pro pot. Had it set to 750 degrees and started casting. Beautiful bullets right off. Then I noticed a little frosting and dropped the thermometer into the alloy and the danged pot was almost 1000 degrees. I turned it down, but it dropped far below 750 and I couldn't get "molasses" to fill the cavities. I've been looking at PID controllers on the Internet and found this one: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=102 It's "industrial grade", which is something I'm looking for. But I don't know what I'll need to go with this thing...................and don't know if I'm even looking at the right kind of PID. Anyone want to help guide a "lost" traveler?

chrisstophere
01-24-2016, 10:50 AM
You guys and your electronic skills are amazing. However, my knowledge of electricity limits me to replacing an electrical cord on a lamp, small appliance or power tool when they become frayed too much to be safe. I look at the maze of wires shown in some of these pictures and my eyes cross involuntarily.

I just started casting this week (I know, I know, no-one is that green!) ;-) But what I noticed right off is not being able to control the temperature in my brand new Lyman 20# Pro pot. Had it set to 750 degrees and started casting. Beautiful bullets right off. Then I noticed a little frosting and dropped the thermometer into the alloy and the danged pot was almost 1000 degrees. I turned it down, but it dropped far below 750 and I couldn't get "molasses" to fill the cavities. I've been looking at PID controllers on the Internet and found this one: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=102 It's "industrial grade", which is something I'm looking for. But I don't know what I'll need to go with this thing...................and don't know if I'm even looking at the right kind of PID. Anyone want to help guide a "lost" traveler?

So at Xmas time, I told the wife I wanted a standard, no frills PID for casting. She had no clue what I was talking about, even after explaining it. I told her I could build with this parts list. She then listed everything I messed up that had to do with wires and electricity. I then let her know that I could buy one off of someone from this forum, heck, even a FB casting group member. She then reminded me of the time I got ripped off (minor purchase luckily) and then said why don't I just wait till after Xmas to get one from someone. I knew what she was getting at and ended up with this unit: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=161

It works great and has a warranty and a customer service that answers the phone and returns emails. I even had to send it back once because I blew the SSR (again, electricity and I don't get along) and they replaced it quickly with just some troubleshooting questions to determine the issue. I've been very happy since.

Now one of those dual PID controllers would be awesome since I use a toaster oven for baking PC, but the reg. thermometer is working just fine for that thing.

Chris C
01-24-2016, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Chris. But that PID is 3 times the price.......and out of my range. Will the one I linked to not accomplish the same thing? I notice the back of yours has a place to plug in the pot as well as the thermocouple...............but I can't see the back of the one I linked. Does it not have the same (electrically challanged) user friendly configuration or is there still a lot of "experienced technician" wiring to do?

chrisstophere
01-24-2016, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Chris. But that PID is 3 times the price.......and out of my range. Will the one I linked to not accomplish the same thing? I notice the back of yours has a place to plug in the pot as well as the thermocouple...............but I can't see the back of the one I linked. Does it not have the same (electrically challanged) user friendly configuration or is there still a lot of "experienced technician" wiring to do?
The one you linked is just one piece of the puzzle. You still need to get the rest of the pieces. I found a blog piece once that have a good outline of almost all the pieces you need to build one. I'll edit this post if I can find it.

Blog post. http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/build-a-pid-for-constant-bullet-casting-lead-temperature-control.html

Chris C
01-24-2016, 11:55 AM
Yup.............my eyes are crossed!;-) Might as well be speaking in tongues for all I understand about that. Probably ought to just save up enough to buy the one you linked to. But how close does it hold the temperature?

chrisstophere
01-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Yup.............my eyes are crossed!;-) Might as well be speaking in tongues for all I understand about that. Probably ought to just save up enough to buy the one you linked to. But how close does it hold the temperature?
After auto tuning it to the Lee pot, within 5 degrees at the highest.

Chris C
01-24-2016, 12:39 PM
That's a far cry better than what I'm doing on my own.

chrisstophere
01-24-2016, 12:41 PM
That's a far cry better than what I'm doing on my own.
A quality PID is definitely worth the investment if your main source of projectiles are ones you cast.

Iron Whittler
01-24-2016, 12:59 PM
I loved your post!!! VERY EDUCATIONAL to say the least. Question--- I have a Magma Master Caster that is a 230-240 volt model. Can this PID be configured to operate with 240 volt input and output? I own a machine shop with the mentioned equipment, so machine work is no problem. My very close friend an I & E gewiz. Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated. Iron Whittler:castmine::swagemine:

Mike W1
01-24-2016, 02:38 PM
Confusing here with 2 Chris's aboard. Just for starters the one that bought the Auber unit for about $189 has a complete unit. The other one for about $59 or whatever is only the PID unit. So we're almost talking apples and oranges here. Don't confuse those 2 rigs. The complete unit has the panel (little yellow thing) pictured on the back of it and is where you plug the appropriate TC into for pot, toaster, whatever.

The other one needs to be hooked to the SSR, power supply, etc. and is not complete. Probably a good rig but you could just buy the SLY-2352 for a few bucks less.

One of you wanted to save some bucks and all the components can be purchased on ebay. If you're a good scrounger you can put together a good rig for under $50. Have a Auber rig myself but realistically the least expensive one I built does just as good a job of controlling the temperature.

chrisstophere
01-24-2016, 02:57 PM
Confusing here with 2 Chris's aboard. Just for starters the one that bought the Auber unit for about $189 has a complete unit. The other one for about $59 or whatever is only the PID unit. So we're almost talking apples and oranges here. Don't confuse those 2 rigs. The complete unit has the panel (little yellow thing) pictured on the back of it and is where you plug the appropriate TC into for pot, toaster, whatever.

The other one needs to be hooked to the SSR, power supply, etc. and is not complete. Probably a good rig but you could just buy the SLY-2352 for a few bucks less.

One of you wanted to save some bucks and all the components can be purchased on ebay. If you're a good scrounger you can put together a good rig for under $50. Have a Auber rig myself but realistically the least expensive one I built does just as good a job of controlling the temperature.
Well said. If mine weren't a gift, I was going to buy one of a member here, which would've been a bit cheaper. Building it yourself, even more savings.

Chris C
01-24-2016, 06:17 PM
Building it yourself, even more savings.

Only if it works after one finishes building it! ;-) That's typically my problem when it comes to electronics.

bbogue1
11-08-2017, 06:39 PM
ChrisC did you ever get yours built?

fralic76
12-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Here is my dual PID controller. It controls my melting pot and a hot plate to pre warm my molds.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/df31059f622ca3ab772275a396e1e890.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/c4f73f326f97ed7a0df5832a72b5c2db.jpg

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Mike W1
12-10-2017, 01:31 PM
Here is my dual PID controller. It controls my melting pot and a hot plate to pre warm my molds.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/df31059f622ca3ab772275a396e1e890.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171209/c4f73f326f97ed7a0df5832a72b5c2db.jpg

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

You're gonna enjoy your new rig. Curious what you're using to mount a TC on your hotplate. What I use is an aluminum disk sitting on the hotplate and it seems to work fine but there might (probably is) a better idea out there.

fralic76
12-14-2017, 08:45 PM
You're gonna enjoy your new rig. Curious what you're using to mount a TC on your hotplate. What I use is an aluminum disk sitting on the hotplate and it seems to work fine but there might (probably is) a better idea out there.

209237Your setup is better then what I have. I use a magnet with a t-nut so the threaded TC will stay in one spot but I can remove and reposition if needed. 1st picture is of the TC that I use.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/7799e14b52d6234315ae1d60590888b3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/abbd9d09aa3a042853fb9242933ab6c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171215/ff9d4c5c7de7c3b327fdf198794b6b59.jpg

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Mike W1
12-14-2017, 08:59 PM
I use one of those threaded TC's on both that hot-plate disk and also my luber heater. Have checked them both with a surface reading TC and they're right on the mark. Use 390° F on the hot plate and the mold is up to temperature by the time the pots are. 125° F works best for the lube I use. Like the magnet idea but wouldn't work on my aluminum.