PDA

View Full Version : Wheelweight ?

nonferrous
12-28-2009, 11:47 PM
I have been casting .358, 158 gr SWC's for revolver use and using straight clip on alloy with good results. I have been setting the stick on weights aside and now have quite a few pounds of them.
In an effort to use up some of the pure, would you say that a 50-50 blend of clip-on and stick-on would be ok under 1000 fps?
Thanks

docone31
12-28-2009, 11:54 PM
That should do fairly well.

nonferrous
12-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks,
I will give it a try, it will help to be able to use up some of the soft stuff.

bbs70
12-29-2009, 12:10 AM
I have been shooting 50/50 in my bh 45 colt with no problems.
About 1k rounds in my new bh, and 15k in my New Vaquero
Velocity is somewhere around 850 - 875 fps.
I do it because ww are getting harder to find and I'm trying to stretch out my supply.
By the way I haven't seen any signs of leading either.

nonferrous
12-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Thats very helpful, I will do just that on the next run.

runfiverun
12-29-2009, 01:12 AM
my normal alloy for most everything is 25% stick-ons/pure to ww's.
i water drop for general rifle work and air cool for everything else. slow to fast in the revolvers and leverguns.
the stickons are good trade stock with the b/p guys too.

nonferrous
12-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Good point, I will start with 25% stick on and go from there.

I was making small talk with a friend of mine at lunch the other day and mentioned lead. He said, "how much do you need"?
I said I could use a lot, but it's getting harder to get these days. He said again, "how much do you need"? So I said the obvious, "all I can get". He said, "do you have a pickup"?
Turns out, he was a building demolition contractor before he retired, also turns out that a lot of elevator counterweights were lead, also turns out that he kept them.
I am going to buy him lunch next week.

lwknight
12-29-2009, 11:29 PM
He's giving you a trukload of lead weights and you're buying lunch?
You should take him and his wife to a steak dinner.

Bloodman14
12-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Twice!

nonferrous
12-30-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't know as he 's going to give me anything. I am more tham willing to pay for it, the lunch is just to get a dialog going and see how we are going to work it out, he says a lot of the blocks have to be handled with a lift truck.
The point is, you can't let up in the quest. He and I are members of a sort of social club that has a lot of phun. The conversation can go in any direction at lunch, I am always distracted, regardless of the subject. If we talk fishing I see the sinkers, if we talk cars, I wonder what kind of W-W's they have on them, if it's Harleys, same thought, it's hopeless. (BTW, you can carry 50 #'s of lead in each saddlebag on a Harley Ultra Classic).
However, a couple of months ago, I mentioned it and one of the guys had 95 #'s of Monotype that he gave me, you never know.
One door opens and another closes. I had an arrangement with the Manager of the Tire kingdom I trade at that was good for about 20 pounds of W-W's every week. I went in Monday to drop off the donuts and he had changed jobs, now I have to start with the new guy and he's not as friendly.
You just have to keep scratchin for it.