PDA

View Full Version : RB gluelits

Jim
12-28-2009, 02:38 PM
First, Mr. Moderator, if this is not the right place for this, please accept my apology and, by all means, transfer to the correct section.

Second, let me remind everyone that gluelits, although only powered by primers, are NOT to be underestimated. Actually, that's the point of this post. ANYTHING propelled from the barrel of a firearm(or airgun, for that matter) should be taken as seriously as a fully loaded round.

Now, having said all that, I will proceed with my point.

As most of you know, I've been researching and experimenting with gluelits since the late summer of 2006. Recently, I decided to build a gluelit trap for an indoor range in the basement. Two 2X4s, 48" long, with a 24" X 30" piece of Masonite screwed to the 2" sides constituted the main frame. A piece of 1/2" polystyrene insulation, same size as the Masonite sheet, on the other 2" edges of the 2X4s, serves as the target backing.
I hung this contraption from the joists of the basement overhead and push pinned a standard NRA 50' small bore rifle target to it. I pushed a grease lubed .454 RB mold cast gluelit into a .45 Colt case primed with a large pistol primer and loaded it in my trusty old Colt New Service revolver.
RANGE IS HOT! At a measured distance of 15", I fired at the target. I heard the gluelit hit the target backing and then saw something flying left to right through the air just behind the target. Upon inspection, I discovered that the gluelit had PENETRATED THE MASONITE BACKING!
That thing flying through the air was the gluelit after it ricocheted off the shop fridge door. I took the Masonite backing off and installed a sheet of 1/4" Plexiglass. Another test, this time with a large magnum rifle primer to test for maximum energy. The Plexiglass stopped it.

If you think gluelits don't have any bullet energy with nothing but a primer behind them, think again. A .45 caliber ball made of hot glue that will penetrate a 1/4" sheet of Masonite and then ricochet 15 or 20" across the basement has enough energy to sting the hallaluya out you.

Added in Edit mode:
I just came up from the shop in the basement. I cast a .458 RB gluelit, primed a .45-70 case with a lg. mag. rifle primer and stuffed the RB all the way down against the primer flash hole. I put a touch of 10 weight oil on the inside of the case with a .45 caliber bore mop and ran a clean, oiled patch down the barrel of my Gibbs bolt action .45-70 to pre-lube it. Loaded and fired at the bullet stop. The impact did not penetrate the 1/4" Plexiglass, but you could see stress marks in the refracted light. Think about that. An RB made of hot glue with enough energy to stress 1/4" plexiglass. That's got some zip to it.

As always, SHOOT SAFELY!

whisler
12-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I assume you mean 15 feet not 15 inches as posted. ????

Shiloh
12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Got shot with a paint ball gun once on a chilly spring day. Hurt like heck.

Have you chronographed any of the gluelits??

Shiloh

303Guy
12-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Wouldn't that be Gloolits?:bigsmyl2:

Caveape
12-29-2009, 01:14 AM
Yep, 303!
That would be more true to form.

This method would turn any gun into a hot glue gun!

sagacious
12-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Anytime is a good time for a safety reminder.

I started casting gluelets back in 2001, for the 45ACP and 44mag. Had no idea that anyone else was doing anything similar. Great minds think alike! :drinks:

I hang a heavy rubber 'welcome mat' as a target backer.

357maximum
12-29-2009, 01:20 AM
It is amazing what a "non-lethal" load will do. I remember as a child watching my ol man "scare" a roving tomcat with a rubber bullet in his 357 python. If you hit them square in the head at 15yds...you only scare them only once apparently.:twisted: He must have used the other 8 lives up somewhere else....as he just laid there twitchin and spinnnin. It was quite a sight to a teenager suffering from a severe case of bloodlust.....still makes me laugh when I picture the look on my Dad's face. :mrgreen:

BTW.......I think the spelling GLOOLITS is the only proper form myself.

45-70 Chevroner
12-29-2009, 01:43 AM
After seeing caveapes reply I think I have figured this out, but help me out here and enlightin me a little more. I think I've figured out what a gluelit is. How do you make them or mold them? I think they are made of glue gun sticks. What an enteresting idea! I have shot 22 cal pellets in a 223 case with primers only. I shot them in my TC and they work ok but not real accurate beyond 15 ft. I have used 1 gr. of bullseye behind the pellet and am quite sure it would do more damage to a cats head than knock him out.

Jim
12-29-2009, 05:02 AM
Whisler, yeah, you're right, I meant 15 feet. Gotta slow down on my editing before posting.

303Guy, yeah, I suppose you're right too. Since this IS the cast BOOLITS forum, they should be called GLOOLITS!

45-70 Chevroner, go to the link below and read through the thread. If you have more questions, please, feel free to post or PM me. Glad to help you if I can!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17577

I certainly can not take any credit for pioneering gloolits. DK17HMR actually started all this when he posted about killing a 'possum with a gloolit in a 1911. I found his post and kinda' fell in behind him.