PDA

View Full Version : Large rifle primers in 45 Colt Cases

philthephlier
12-27-2009, 02:09 AM
I mistakenly loaded 50 rounds of my favorite 45 Colt load with large rifle primers. They are seated deeply enough to not interfere with cylinder rotation in my NM Blackhawk. Is it safe to shoot these loads? I know for sure you cannot shoot pistol primers in rifle cases but what about the reverse?

felix
12-27-2009, 03:07 AM
If the load is reasonable with a normal pistol powder less than 2400, OK. If using a slow powder like 2400 or slower, and the primer is not hit hard enough obvioously, then look for a soft report. If something like a click-bang in sound, then NO, NO. ... felix

44man
12-27-2009, 10:26 AM
Most revolver mainsprings are not strong enough as Felix says. Light loads must be used too or pressure can shoot through the roof.
What you forget is the LR primer will drive the boolit out of the case before powder gets burning, it has too much primer pressure when all you want is heat. You can get squib loads, hang fires or a failure to fire with a boolit stuck in the bore.
You can still have a problem with high primers that is dangerous unless you smash the primer deep, thus ruining it. The LR primer is .010" longer then LP. Doesn't sound like much but how sure are you every piece of brass has a deep enough pocket?
As far as a LP primer in a rifle case, I do it all the time with low pressure cartridges like the 45-70. Most cast loads with low pressures in any caliber will work with a LP primer.
Same as the .475 revolver, the case is made from 45-70 brass and has a LR pocket but it is a no-no to use LR primers because of pressure and boolit movement issues.
Personally, I would not use LR primers in the .45. I don't even use a LP magnum primer in it.
The wrong primer can cause you grief, if you can't find the right ones, don't shoot the gun until you do.

Rocky Raab
12-27-2009, 02:13 PM
With only 50 rounds, it will probably be simplest to just shoot them rather than break them down - assuming a very strong gun and no more than a mild load.

BUT, if you have a Colt-strength revolver and this is a stout load, (OR you are simply a cautious type) just accept the grief and break them down. An hour or so of labor is cheap insurance.

philthephlier
12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Fired 10 today in a NM Blackhawk 45 Colt. No problems other than the load, which is a tack driver with the right primer was anything but with the large rifle primer.

Marlin Hunter
12-28-2009, 09:00 PM
I have used large and small rifle primers in pistol cases. I had a few that needed a second hit. This is mostly the case with semi-autos. The 454 cassul requires small rifle primers for strength.

wiljen
12-28-2009, 09:05 PM
357 Maximum was factory loaded with small rifle primers too.

Jim
12-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I've used lg. mag. rifle primers in .45 Colt loads. However, the powder I was using was slow, very slow and the load was on the mild side.

44man
12-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Fired 10 today in a NM Blackhawk 45 Colt. No problems other than the load, which is a tack driver with the right primer was anything but with the large rifle primer.
The poor accuracy was more then likely a result of boolit movement.
Marlinhunter, true about the .454 but not for strength. We found using cut down .460 brass and a LP mag primer is far more accurate and working loads without squibs was easy. Even a half gr over max with 296 was no problem, no flat primers or pressure signs.
The SR primer came about because of the duplex and triplex loads that were used during development. I don't know why it stuck.

StarMetal
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
The poor accuracy was more then likely a result of boolit movement.
Marlinhunter, true about the .454 but not for strength. We found using cut down .460 brass and a LP mag primer is far more accurate and working loads without squibs was easy. Even a half gr over max with 296 was no problem, no flat primers or pressure signs.
The SR primer came about because of the duplex and triplex loads that were used during development. I don't know why it stuck.

Jim,

I think when they developed the PPC cases they were looking for a flash hole diameter and primer size that would provide a flash cone inside the case that approximated the diameter of the bottom of the powder column. In this case it was a SR primer and off the top of my head I think the flash holes run around .060.

Joe

44man
12-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Jim,

I think when they developed the PPC cases they were looking for a flash hole diameter and primer size that would provide a flash cone inside the case that approximated the diameter of the bottom of the powder column. In this case it was a SR primer and off the top of my head I think the flash holes run around .060.

Joe
Might be Joe but we had squib loads and boolits stuck in the bore with starting loads of slow powder with every SR primer we tried. We had to load max and over before we got a consistent light off and accuracy left something to be desired. Walking back up the hill to get a brass rod and hammer to remove stuck boolits/bullets was a pain.
The .460 brass was a whole new world with accuracy. We could actually work loads
Be aware I never liked the .454 and do not own one but working with them for friends was an eye opener to be sure. Without some .460 brass we would have never found out what a great caliber it can be.
It was amazing how far up the barrel the SR primer could push a boolit without the powder lighting.