PDA

View Full Version : New 1894c range report

awaveritt
12-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Took my new Marlin 1894c to the range today (see pics). Sandbagged about 100 rounds of various ammo but mainly my cast TL358-158-SWC loaded in both 357 cases and 38 cases. Informal shooting with iron sights (all shooting was at 50 yds) produced the groups in the pics. SWC's fed fairly smoothly although some had to be coaxed into the chamber if I canted the rifle as I cycled the lever. RNFP's and Factory winchesters fled flawlessly. Have not finished cleaning barrel so will report on any leading issues asap.

The rifle comes with decent walnut (even a little fiddleback on the buttstock). Wood to metal finish was average. Very pleased with trigger - crisp and not too heavy. The front sling swivel is oriented in the wrong direction. Out of the box, the gun printed about 6 inches to the right and the buckhorn sights leave a lot to be desired, expecially for my 56 year old eyes. Will be ordering the excellent Skinner peep sight, soon.

The 357's were loaded over 5.0 grains bullseye. The 38 cases were loaded over 3.5 grains BE. I also plan to develop some heavier loads with 2400. My cast SWC's seem to be fairly accurate but this is my first experience with cast boolits in a rifle and would really appreciate any feedback from you all.

Bullshop Junior
12-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I have a marlin 94 ( old pre-safty) and it shoots very well, even with the bulged barrel.

Bass Ackward
12-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Took my new Marlin 1894c to the range today (see pics). Sandbagged about 100 rounds of various ammo but mainly my cast TL358-158-SWC loaded in both 357 cases and 38 cases. Informal shooting with iron sights (all shooting was at 50 yds) produced the groups in the pics. SWC's fed fairly smoothly although some had to be coaxed into the chamber if I canted the rifle as I cycled the lever. RNFP's and Factory winchesters fled flawlessly. Have not finished cleaning barrel so will report on any leading issues asap.

and would really appreciate any feedback from you all.

Ah hey, advise is expensive on this board and the price is pain that is often more than folks are willing to bear. But you did ask. :grin:

I'd say that you got pretty much out of a new gun what you could expect. And you don't feel comfortable with a Buckhorn, although you are going to get a fully enclosed buckhorn (peep).

All in all I'd say its an encouraging start. Judging from the detail of your explanations and descriptions, then I have to assume that you haven't had the time to slug the gun yet or you would probably have mentioned it. You're success is from just picking loads. I'd have to guess that you fouled some.

There is a sticky, or was at one time, down in the lever section that tells you how to remove the bolt so that you can get into the chamber and clean from the rear. That is going to be invaluable education if you want to continue to shoot 38 brass.

You get that bullet the "proper" size for the gun as defined by the gun and perform a ladder test with the powder of your choice (2400) and you are going to see results that you won't have to ask for comments on. In fact you will be afraid to post them for fear that somebody will call you a liar. But it will have you back here teaching others with a grin from ear to ear.

44man
12-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Nicely said Bass! :mrgreen:
He should do much better right off if he dumps the .38 cases.