PDA

View Full Version : 7 BR cast data

alohaha
04-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Can anyone direct me to some recent cast reloading data for the 7 BR 145 Sil? I bought a 700 adl about 5 years ago to rebarrel and finally got around to it( kinda of slow, ain't I) but have since discovered Alliant discontinued RL-12.which I was planning on using. Found one Accurate 5744 and a H4227 load but am hoping to find some more. Have a Lyman Cast Bullet book (1989 vintage) but it doesn't show anything for the 7 BR. Wonder if they have upgraded it? Thanks, Kent

crazy mark
04-26-2005, 12:39 AM
RCBS cast bullet book #1 has 8 loads for the 7BR with a 145 gr SIL in the XP100.

sundog
04-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Kent, I've used ALOT of 4227 over the years for cast boolits. Felix got me onto using VV N120 for my military bolt rounds in 06, and I've come up with some very impressive results. You might want to give it a try. Only problem is that is comes smallest in 2 pounders and that's 40 plus bucks, unless you can get someone to gift you a jelly jar full to try. N120 is a little slower than 4227. I use 23 grains with the 30-180-SP compared to 21.0 of 4227 for about 1650. 'Course it might not like your 7mm. Who knows. sundog

alohaha
04-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I saw some loads that came out of Handloader using H4227 but they were topped off with Grex. Don't think Winchester even makes it any more. Has anyone had any luck with the AA5744?

Kent

Buckshot
04-27-2005, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I saw some loads that came out of Handloader using H4227 but they were topped off with Grex. Don't think Winchester even makes it any more. Has anyone had any luck with the AA5744?

Kent

Winchester no longer offers Grex as a component. However, you can buy a similar ground poly filler from Midway, called Super Sam.

..........Buckshot

fourarmed
04-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Around this area a lot of the handgun silhouette shooters use a load of 18 grains of 4227 in the 7BR with 139-150 gr. jacketed bullets to get a light-recoiling load. It is very accurate in XP-100s and MOAs, but the pressure curve comes up fast. Use CCI-400 primers or you'll see an occasional primer leak.

Bass Ackward
04-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Have a Lyman Cast Bullet book (1989 vintage) but it doesn't show anything for the 7 BR. Wonder if they have upgraded it? Thanks, Kent

Guys,

I would like to recommend to anyone that shoots alot to consider a computer program called Quickload. You gain the freedom from reloading manuals ever again. It costs at $150, but you will save that in no time through use.

Virtually any caliber that you can think of is there. If you re-load a lot, this is as valuable as a scale to me. I think they even run a demo model that you can down load to play around with it. Once you get used to it, it even eliminates 99% of the need for a chronograph.

http://www.neconos.com/

Scrounger
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Guys,

I would like to recommend to anyone that shoots alot to consider a computer program called Quickload. You gain the freedom from reloading manuals ever again. It costs at $150, but you will save that in no time through use.

Virtually any caliber that you can think of is there. If you re-load a lot, this is as valuable as a scale to me. I think they even run a demo model that you can down load to play around with it. Once you get used to it, it even eliminates 99% of the need for a chronograph.

http://www.neconos.com/

If they would put it on sale for 90% off, I'd buy it. Did I say I'm cheap? Wonder if they'd give us a deal if we got a group buy, or we bought one for (our) organizational use... Do they give periodic updates as new powder and cartridges become available? Is the parent company Neco? When the moly coating thing started, they were one of the first companies to sell "kits" to molycoat. And for only 10 times what you could buy all the stuff you need yourself!! What a deal! Sorry, when I see "NECO", my mind says "ripoff".

Junior1942
04-27-2005, 01:45 PM
>If they would put it on sale for 90% off, I'd buy it.

I'm with you, Scrounger. I'd like to have the program but no way at $150. Maybe at $40. For sure at $25.

Bass Ackward
04-27-2005, 03:01 PM
If they would put it on sale for 90% off, I'd buy it. Did I say I'm cheap? Wonder if they'd give us a deal if we got a group buy, or we bought one for (our) organizational use... Do they give periodic updates as new powder and cartridges become available? Is the parent company Neco? When the moly coating thing started, they were one of the first companies to sell "kits" to molycoat. And for only 10 times what you could buy all the stuff you need yourself!! What a deal! Sorry, when I see "NECO", my mind says "ripoff".

I thought the same way and passed on it for quite awhile until I got it as a gift from my wife. So I really paid for it. But that was why I decided to mention it. I had an idea what comments it would bring.

But if you reject the program based on price alone, I think you make a mistake. I recovered my own costs with the program in less than 4 months. I can't say that about any other loading accessory or device that I know of except for a mold. But I shoot a fair amount and shoot several different things. If I only had one 30-06, I doubt that it is worth it. Tons of published data.

Would I buy it again for $150 if I had too knowing what I do now? .... Yes.

So based on that I still recommend it.

StarMetal
04-27-2005, 03:22 PM
How about everyone that wants that program pitches in to buy it, then we burn it on CD's for everyone? Phooey on copyright, how many of you run pirated software now on your pc? Don't tell old hacker Joe it can't be copied because it has embedded software in it to prevent that, HA!, I have a German program that defeated that. I use it when my son buys video games for his pc and I want to play them, but we can't share at the same time as the game needs to have the disc in the pc to run. One program to copy stuff like that is called Virtual Reality. Think about it.

Joe