PDA

View Full Version : Lee molds and sizers sizes

Jim
12-26-2009, 10:06 AM
How come why for Lee makes sizer dies as small as .224 but they only make rifle boolit molds as small as .305? I know a lot of people don't like Lee molds, but I've never had a problem with them. I can afford Lee molds but I can't see sinking almost a C in a RCBS or Lyman what with the block and the handles.:violin:

mooman76
12-26-2009, 10:50 AM
They acctually make smaller than 305 but your guess is as good as mine. I think the current smallest production size they make is 7mm. The other sizes you can get but are custom orders. Midsouth shooters supply orders some custom moulds a couple times a year like the 22 bator and the 6.5 cruise missle everyone talks about and a few more. My guess would be that they don't sell enough for the to have regular production but who knows, some day. They just in the past few years started making some smaller that 30 cal sizers and they stepped up their Double cavithy moulds. I was before that you couldn't get DC moulds in the rifle calibers, who knows why.

sqlbullet
12-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I think you would find that the effort (set-up, etc) to make a sizer die is a fraction of that for a bullet mold. Therefore, they can afford to stock sizing dies in a wider array of sizes than bullet molds. With the die, the exterior is the same, and the interior is just bored and reamed to the correct size. Bullets molds not only have to consider diameter, but bullet weight, shape, lube groove design, etc.

I use their bullet molds, and have been completely happy with them for the money. Like you, I can't see spending 3-4 times as much on an RCBS mold.

Shiloh
12-26-2009, 11:41 AM
My guess would be that they don't sell enough for them to have regular production but who knows, some day.

Good Guess. I would say this is the reason.

LEE has limited production Pacesetter Rifle Dies for the same reason. Not enough demand to keep tooled up for.

Winchester also does this with certain calibers of rifle brass. Seasonal runs of .30-40
Krag, 264 Win. mag and others.

Shiloh

azjohn
12-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Cheapest place I have found for RCBS moulds.
http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/rcbs_bullet_casting.htm