PDA

View Full Version : Paste wax and chamber pressure

Naphtali
12-26-2009, 02:56 AM
Were Johnson's Paste Wax put on the cylindrical part of factory 44 Magnum ammunition brass, will there be a large increase in chamber pressure when the cartridge is fired?

lylejb
12-26-2009, 03:58 AM
I doubt it. I don't think it would do much on the outside of the brass, either positive or negative.

The wax would be slick, no doubt. But so is oil, and few would think twice about loading a freshly oiled ( or over oiled) cylinder.

repeated use might cause some kind of build up, more gunk to clean out.

If your talking about inside the brass, I wouldn't recommend it. Again, no benifit that I can see, and you might be running the risk of contaminating the powder / primer.

Maybe if you wanted some extra shine for some display cartridges, otherwise i'm not sure what you would gain by waxing the brass.

If your having hard extraction, I would first look for high pressure signs, such as flat primers. If not due to high pressure, then look carefully for any roughness, debris, poor machining, or irregularities in the cylinder.

rhead
12-26-2009, 05:53 AM
It might give an increase in case head thrust. I do not know from experience. I have never had the need to do so.

44man
12-26-2009, 09:29 AM
It might give an increase in case head thrust. I do not know from experience. I have never had the need to do so.
Right answer! :idea:
Chambers should be dry too. The brass should grip the sides and is the reason you don't want a high polish in chambers either.

fourarmed
12-26-2009, 10:24 AM
One of my Hi Std Victors was giving extraction trouble with Wolf Extra. I carried some JPW and Q-tips to wipe out the chamber. It worked. I eventually changed to ammo with heavier brass walls, and no longer needed to do it.

largom
12-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Right answer! :idea:
Chambers should be dry too. The brass should grip the sides and is the reason you don't want a high polish in chambers either.

Agree 100%. You are courting danger by lubeing the chamber or cartridge walls.

Larry

44man
12-26-2009, 10:55 AM
One of my Hi Std Victors was giving extraction trouble with Wolf Extra. I carried some JPW and Q-tips to wipe out the chamber. It worked. I eventually changed to ammo with heavier brass walls, and no longer needed to do it.
Soft brass with no spring back will stick. If anyone has shot those copper cased .22 BB shells, they know what I mean. The extractor will slip the head and you need to pry them out.

StarMetal
12-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Soft brass with no spring back will stick. If anyone has shot those copper cased .22 BB shells, they know what I mean. The extractor will slip the head and you need to pry them out.

Boy that's the truth Jim. I remember a good while back an Italian member over on the Accurate Forums had some exotic African big game caliber rifle that took him quite some time through their strict firearm system to get cartridges for it. The brass was quite expensive too. Well he was annealing his brass. Problem was he annealed the entire case!!!! He loaded them and fired them. That's when he posted. He said he had to pound his bolt open. That's when the members informed him he ruined the brass. He was also lucky the rifle didn't blow.

Joe

buck1
12-26-2009, 11:20 AM

Thats why we dont size cases with graphite. you could put it on the boolit for a bit extra lube iguess but not the brass or in the chamber. FWIW....Buck

montana_charlie
12-26-2009, 01:59 PM
few would think twice about loading a freshly oiled ( or over oiled) cylinder.
In my experience, most would think twice.
As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone (except 303 Guy) who doesn't wipe the oil out of a gun before loading it.

CM