PDA

View Full Version : Flashlight advice

Jeffery8mm
12-25-2009, 11:46 PM
I am in the market for a good "compact" flashlight. I will use this for going to and from a deer stand and if need be, blood trailing a deer. I would like a LED, I think. Also would like it to run off of 2 CR123 batteries. I have a light that uses those and have a supply of those. My current light uses a xenon bulb and is yellowish in the woods. I like the blue/white lights.
Now for the $$ part. I have about 35-40 dollars for this purchase. Any recommendations??
I am looking strongly at this.....
http://www.amazon.com/Nu-Flare-Ultrabright-Compact-77R92L-Flashlight/dp/B001LYYO10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1261717178&sr=8-2

Thanks for any and all input
Jeff

rickster
12-26-2009, 02:00 AM
I recently bought a Coleman 115 lumen LED flashlight at Walmart for $24. That thing is amazing. It is much brighter than a 3 cell maglight, and it only pulls 390ma on the batteries (2 AA). And it is very well made. They had a similar flashlight that took the CR 123s.

If you get that 210 lumen job, you will be impressed. CREE (the LED mfr) is getting this stuff figured out. Their website has the specs on all their LEDs.

rickster
12-26-2009, 02:03 AM
Here are links to the Coleman lights. IMO, 115 lumems is plenty. I would rather have the run time than go to 210 Lumens and pay extra.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13029914

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13029913

EMC45
12-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Surefire G2 Nitrolon. It is not an LED, but it runs on 2 CR123 Batteries. It is very bright. It casts a bright white beam and will nearly blind you. It has a pressure switch on the base and a twist constant on feature as well. I paid $29.99 for mine at the BX on base. They can be had for about $35-40.

Johnch
12-26-2009, 11:28 AM
I can highly recomend a Streamlight Scorpion LED Flashlight
Runs on 2 123 cells as you wanted
Rubber over the Al. body so you can safely bite it when needed

I have used them for several years
1 in the truck and 1 in the deer hunting back pack

John

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-85010-Scorpion-LED-Flashlight/dp/B00081NHBK

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=34

buck1
12-26-2009, 11:40 AM
"Streamlight" Great stuff!! Droped from a moving truck, in the river, mistreated by my children,etc,etc,etc, and still 100% good! This is my recomendation also!! all else is a distant second...Buck

imashooter2
12-26-2009, 11:58 AM
I would think that for the difference in the price of batteries, a 3 watt AA Maglite would pay for itself pretty quickly. The dang things are obscenely bright and will project a beam a long, long way. 3 hour run time to 50% output from a pair of AAs. Output drops quickly from that point though. The 3 AA versions have a lot longer run time after 50%, still usable light at 5 hours.

EMC45
12-26-2009, 12:02 PM
I also have a mini Mag lite that I put a "Nite Eyez" LED kit in. It has proven to be a good deal. It came with the LED lamp and cone and also a pressure switch for the tail cap.

3006guns
12-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I too, am impressed with the new LED flashlights. FINALLY...something that puts out a brilliant light without having to carry 500 spare batteries! This technology is far more important to me than an I POD.

I think the Coleman is a good deal for the money, but while you're at it pick up one of those dirt cheap, small 9 LED flashlights. Easily carried in the coat pocket, glove compartment, etc. You'll probably never need another flashlight in your lifetime with that combination!

imashooter2
12-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I also have a mini Mag lite that I put a "Nite Eyez" LED kit in. It has proven to be a good deal. It came with the LED lamp and cone and also a pressure switch for the tail cap.

I have a couple of the Nite Eyez conversions as well. Brilliant light up close, but they don't have anywhere near the projection that the 3 watt genuine Maglite does. Still great for the glove box in the car. Batteries last a long time with them.

August
12-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I bought a Fenix about a year ago and carry it every day. It has multiple power levels. So, you can get light and conserve battery power at the same time. If you want BRIGHT, it does that incredibly well -- it has a Cree emitter. Very pleased with the light. The Fenix store offers a lifetime warranty, too. You can get the light in one, or two cell -- either 123 or AA!!! The one cell 123 is really compact and convenient.

I have a Surefire, too. But, it's too bright for most stuff and uses batteries quickly.

EMC45
12-26-2009, 01:59 PM
I have a couple of the Nite Eyez conversions as well. Brilliant light up close, but they don't have anywhere near the projection that the 3 watt genuine Maglite does. Still great for the glove box in the car. Batteries last a long time with them.

This is true. A lot of the LED type lights I have experience with don't throw a long beam though. Just a bright one right at the lens.

EMC45
12-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Just a quick size comparison. The MiniMag is the one with the "Nite Eyez" kit in it. It is bright right at the lens, but only throws a light blue beam. The G2 on the other hand will light up the night like daytime! http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/102_2320.jpg

MtGun44
12-26-2009, 11:50 PM
The new Minimaglight LED using AA batteries is a real bargain, very bright and durable.
About $20 in the US, all aluminum, pretty good battery.

If you want a bigger one, an LED conversion in a 3 D cell maglight is awesome! HOWEVER,
large and heavy, but runs essentially forever - I have the same batteries in mine about the
second year. It rides on the left seat rail of the passenger seat in my car.

The G2 is great, but the LED version is about $60 MORE than the std flashlight! I have
a couple of std units (~$35), good quality but impact when lit will break the filament.

Bill

Jeffery8mm
12-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for all the great info so far guys.
After reading here and reading the reviews on Amazon, I have it narrowed to either the SureFire G2 or the Streamlight Scorpian.
I will let you know
Jeff

Oldtimer
12-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I am a big fan of headlights. Got one from wally world made by energizer. Two bright white LED's, and one red LED. Uses 2 AAA bats. Use it to go to my wood shed at night when needed. Batts last almost the whole winter. Cost less than $20. I love it. Bob

Bullshop Junior
12-27-2009, 12:11 AM
I have a shurefire that I found on the side of the road. It is the best light I have ever seen. It is brighter then any LED light I have ever seen.

yondering
12-27-2009, 12:20 AM
Jeff, before you buy, check out http://e-lectronics.com/ This is a business run by a friend of mine, he stands behind his products. I have a light similar to this one: UltraFire WF-602c CREE XR-E LED flashlight (RCR123 3.7) $14.95 (http://e-lectronics.net/ultrafire-wf602c-cree-flashlight-rcr123-p-432.html?osCsid=cf6dd7d21e4a425f7c18943f8705698a)
It's about the length of my middle finger, and slightly larger diameter; output is 120-140 lumens depending on the light and driver board options. These use the rechargable lithium-ion 3.7V version of the CR123 battery; I keep one in my light and one in the charger so I always have a backup.

I can't say enough good things about these little lights. Once you start using the 3.7V lithium-ion batteries, you won't go back. Light output is so much better than similar lights that are more than twice the size.

Mark at e-lectronics can customize these lights with different emitters and driver boards, to provide hi-med-low, strobe, SOS, and other functions. The light I carry in my pocket every day is just constant on high, but I have a couple others with a low beam option; I've used them as a night light for the kids on low beam and had them run all night long without getting dim.

FWIW, I have 3 of the Streamlight Scorpions. I do like them, they are a great light, but the light at the link above is less than half the size and weight, and light output is better than the Scorpion.