PDA

View Full Version : LYMAN 457122 330gr GOULD MOLD ?

SCHUETZENBOOMER
12-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I posted a question on another thread asking for help understanding why I was getting radiused bases on the boolit cast from my 457122 mold. I was able to answer my own question after looking at the mold halves with a glass. There plain as day is the feature producing the radius at the base. I can't imagine this being anything but horrible for accuracy and a factory oops. This IS NOT a burr, it is intentional and perfect in both halves under 15X glass.

Can anyone verify if the cherry used to cut the 457122 form was also used on an identical but longer boolit with more than the three driving bands as used on the Gould design? This cherry located a few thou too deep (no more than .006" or so) is the only feasible way I see of getting the result I see on my mold. I have attached a pic of the cast boolit and the mold half showing the fillet described.

Any other 457122's out there showing this?

leftiye
12-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks like a small bevel base. Try it, you'll like it - maybe. If not, take a reamer the dia. of the mold lands to it and dissappear it - the bevel base ridge. It could be as you say, maybe a 457124 was used to cut the basic cavity for the 457122, and not set up right.

12-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I don't have a 457122 so can't compare. Do as leftiye suggests to start with- cast up some good, fully filled out bullets and load them to 1100-1200 fps and see how they act, leading? accuracy? The iron used in mold blocks is very soft so if you decide to touch up the "base hole" with a reamer you can do it by simply, carefully turning a reamer with a very gradual taper held in the hand, turned between the fingers. Inspect with a mag glass or lupe often until you get there. Even if you put a tiny reverse bevel into the base... no worries. It will go away when passed thru a sizer... just don't go too far with the flare base- it could grow fins :) :roll:

hornsurgeon
12-24-2009, 09:33 PM
if you decide to sell, let me know.

Mk42gunner
12-24-2009, 09:52 PM
I just checked my 457122 dated 09-04. Flat base, no sign of a bevel. My mold cavity measured 0.904", with my genuine made in china dial calipers.

Robert

SCHUETZENBOOMER
12-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Robert,

How do you check mold date? It was my understanding that any additional markings were random numbers to identify the mold pair. Nothing on mine indicate any date sequence? I believe mine to be very old based on the looks of the hollow point pin and handle.

JesterGrin_1
12-25-2009, 12:35 AM
It is hard to tell from the pic but since you have the mold in hand is the top of the mold square and sharp or does it look like it has a bevel?

If it is square and sharp then I would have to say either you are casting a bit too cold and does not give complete fill out or it could have something to do with the lead mix.