PDA

View Full Version : Reduced cast bullet loads for .223 Rem

wch
12-24-2009, 02:05 PM
I have read some of the replies that pertained to standard and higher velocities, but am wondering if anyone has a bullet/load for reduced (low noise) shooting.
My rifle is a Kimber Model 84, bought about 1985.
Thanks.

outdoorfan
12-24-2009, 03:53 PM
One day I ran some reduced loads using the 70 grain LBT in the .223 with Unique. Accuracy was plenty good for minute of cat at 100 yards. 5 grains netted 1,402 fps and 9 grains was good for 2,017 fps. The report and recoil with the 5 or 6 grain load was no louder than a .22 magnum (I think it may very well have been quieter).

GabbyM
12-24-2009, 04:52 PM
11.5 grains of RX7 under a 55gr bullet. 1758fps and it's the Lyman accuracy load for their 225646 bullet.

I've been playing around with H4198 in my 223 but even after Hodgdon short cut the 4198 it's still not very measure friendly. So I've bought some RX7. Which is very short stick. I've been shooting 14.5 gr 4198. From a 26" barrel it's lost a lot of pressure by the time the bullet exits.

In addition to the Unique in which 7 1/2 grains under a Lyman 225415 has been a favorite for a generation. you've also 2400 and AA#9 to look at. Lyman's book shows a 5.6 grain charge of Red Dot or 700X under the 224415 for 1795 fps. Those powders are even faster than Unique so should be quieter.

The rifle powders show much less max pressure than the shotgun powders. Pressure at the muzzle is what makes noise. I'd guess the 700x or Red Dot would have the least muzzle blast. I can almost guarantee the RX7 load to be more accurate. But you're looking for quiet and the fast powder will probably be accurate enough for Squirrels.

watkibe
12-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I made some nice "Hornet equivalent" loads for my 223 with SR 4759 and the Sierra 45gr Hornet bullet. It's quiet and accurate. I am waiting for my Bator 22 mold, so its jacketed bullets for now. (I have the charge weight and velocities out in the shop; I will post them if you are interested.) Let me know.

Larry Gibson
12-24-2009, 06:54 PM
If you want a really low noise load then I'd suggest you try a "cat's sneeze" load. Assuming your '85 Kimber has a 12 or 14" twist use a 45-60 gr cast bullet. Cast them of very soft alloy, I prefer pure lead, recovered .22lr or recovered pellet alloy. I then just tumble lube them with LLA. Cases are very well fired formed and not even neck sized. I camfer the inside of the case mouth and just slightly squeeze the mouth to hold the bullet. Mostly the just stick in the case mouth by the lube. They are thus single load only dropping them straight into the chamber.

I do not bother with a GC unless small varmint accuracy (small rats, starlings, etc.) is needed past 50 feet or so. I relly prefered the old Lyman slip on GC for this and home mede GCs work as well. They can be thumb seated and the lube holds them on. If Hornady's or other crimp ons are used I run them in the 450 sizer just far enough to crimp them on.

I load them over Bullseye. I suggest you start with 1 gr and shoot at least 5 shots making sure each goes out the barrel. A fouled barrel offers more resistance which is why you want to make sure and shoot at least 5. Work in each direction .1 gr at a time until you find accuracy at the max range you'll be using them. I've found a velocity with 45 gr 225438s of 450-500 fps or so to be very accurate out to 50 yards. It is very quiet, not much more than my RWS M54 .22 cal air rifle and much dealier with the 40 gr bullet vs a 14.3 gr pellet.
The only drawback to such loads is zeroing and having a scope that is useful at such close range. (under 25 yards) An inexpensive air rifle scope works well.

Larry Gibson

JIMinPHX
12-24-2009, 07:05 PM
.22 cal air gun pellet over a standard small pistol primer with no powder.

Makes it a real mouse gun.

You can also get the little cartridge adapters that let you fire .22 rimfire ammo in a .223. Accuracy reports with those things vary. Using the Paco Kelly rimfire accurizer gizmo supposedly helps quite a bit. If you use subsonic ammo, they are pretty quiet. If you use CCI CB rounds, they are a lot quieter than that. If you use Agula Super Colibri rounds, then they make about the same noise as an air gun.

mpmarty
12-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Or just stick a one liter pop bottle over the muzzle and go to town with any sub sonic load you like. Guarantee the next door busy bodies won't hear a thing.:bigsmyl2:

MilSurpFan
12-25-2009, 09:27 AM
IMR lists a 223 load for Trail Boss with 55 gr. FMJs that gives about 1000 fps. No reason that wouldn't work with 50-55 gr boolits. Sounds like a std. velocity 22LR. can't comment on accuracy yet, but it works.

watkibe
12-25-2009, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=JIMinPHX;756217].22 cal air gun pellet over a standard small pistol primer with no powder.
QUOTE]

I thought I was the only one who did that ! I seat skirted 22 cal air gun pellets with the skirt forward to seal the necks. I have had lots of rainy day fun shooting inside the house with these loads !

JIMinPHX
12-26-2009, 01:52 AM
I seat skirted 22 cal air gun pellets with the skirt forward to seal the necks. I have had lots of rainy day fun shooting inside the house with these loads !

I'm not real big on doing that inside the house. With primers being made out of lead styphanate (sp?) & all, I'm not so sure that I want all the byproducts of spent primers being dusted all over my livingroom.

deltaenterprizes
12-26-2009, 12:37 PM
If you machine the 223 cases to accept shotgun primers you can load the pellets nose forward through the base and they have a little zip too!

AZ-Stew
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
I wrote an article in "Handloader" #157 about reduced loads using jacketed bullets. One of the things I wanted was low noise. IMR-7625 powder will give you a quiet load. 6.0 grains over a CCI SR primer with a Hornady 50 grain SX bullet gives about 1800 fps and EXCELLENT accuracy at 50 yards. There is no reason why a 45-60 grain cast boolit can't equal that, assuming a well-cast boolit. Be sure it's filled out well, sized on center and that the check is seated properly, giving a square, well centered corner to the base. If it's a good boolit, you can make it shoot well at low velocity. Powder selection will affect the noise level. As GabbyM said, you want to have low muzzle pressure for low noise. Though it's fairly fast in the overall list of available powders, 2400 will give FAR more muzzle blast than a faster shotgun or pistol powder. Look toward the mid range of the powders in the relative burning rate chart on the Hodgdon web site that are between Bullseye and 2400. These will give you velocity and low noise. If you can get ahold of a copy, buy one of the RCBS Cast Bullet Handbooks (out of print). Lots o' good loads there. They will give you an idea of how much of the faster powders to use. Keep in mind what I said about burning rate. Between the burn rate chart and the RCBS book, I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Let us know how your loads work out for you.

Regards,

Stew

sagacious
12-26-2009, 09:52 PM
use a 45-60 gr cast bullet. Cast them of very soft alloy, I prefer pure lead, recovered .22lr or recovered pellet alloy. I then just tumble lube them with LLA. Cases are very well fired formed and not even neck sized.
I load them over Bullseye. I suggest you start with 1 gr and shoot at least 5 shots making sure each goes out the barrel. A fouled barrel offers more resistance which is why you want to make sure and shoot at least 5. Work in each direction .1 gr at a time until you find accuracy at the max range you'll be using them...

Larry Gibson
This is also the method I use, and it's very effective. I load a 60gr soft lead bullet over less than a grain of Bullseye, and it's accurate and very quiet. The report is not recognizable as a gunshot. As noted above, during low-velocity load development, one will inevitably get a bullet stuck in the bore, so be sure that each shot exits before chambering another round.

Good luck and be safe. :drinks:

leadman
12-26-2009, 10:50 PM
I have used 6 grs. of 700X with the Lyman 45gr. RN. for a very good small game load. Still has some range to it for the occassional longer shot but still fairly quiet.

kd5det
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Watkibe,

How about posting those "Hornet Eq" loads.

Thanks,

KD5DET