PDA

View Full Version : Cimarron Hi-Wall

rikkit
05-23-2006, 10:06 PM
I was recently made aware that Cimarron is selling Hi-Walls with double set triggers. I have been watching the Schuetzen matches and have had a desire to participate.
The problem has been that the rifles set up for this shooting are really expensive. I was looking for a way to build my way into one of these, but suitable Failling block actions are not easy to come by either. So I was thinking that a sub $1k rifle from Cimarron in 38-55 might be a way to begin competing with an eye on a possible 32-40 re-barrell in the future. Anyone familiar with the Cimarron line? And have any of you guys kicked around the idea of participating with the Schuetzen groups? Any comments would be greatly appreciated

DEVERS454
05-24-2006, 01:19 AM
I just took ownership of a highwall in 45-90.

They are available with double set triggers, but, those have to be special ordered.

Let me say this, the trigger on those are so nice in the first place, I don't think you will need to worry about double set triggers right away.

$150 better spent on a good soule sight or such.

38-55 is a fabulous cartridge, but, 45-70 or 45-90 is what takes down the rams easier. :)

They are not 100% truely historically correct, since the action only positions the hammer back to 1/2 cock, as opposed to full cock on the originals.

Some would see this as a problem, but, from talking to some owners of original 1885, consider this change to be a FEATURE!!! (IMHO)

Bullshop
05-24-2006, 01:40 AM
I have a Stevens 44 1/2 shuetzen in 32/40 for sale. Its in excellent condition and ready to go. I shoot a Saeco 180gn tappered boolit breach seated and it shoots better than me. Its a gorgeous rifle with a highly figured peace of pearch belly butt stock and set up for off hand with upper and lower prongs. It has a tang rear sight and a globe front, also has scope blocks. I will ship it out for $1,500.00. By the time you got the simeron set up you would have that much in it and it wouldnt be as nice a gun as this old Stevens. Wanna see it?
BIC/BS

KCSO
05-24-2006, 09:33 AM
The Cimarron's are not a bad gun for the money. With black powder loads they will go under 2" out of the box. The set triggers are special order and will take a couple of months to get. In addition I have yet to see a 38-55 in stock and you wwill probably have to wait for one. If you are talking real Schutzen matches you might be better to go with Bullshops offer as the Hi Wall is not really stocked for offhand Schutzen. So by the time you get sights, stock and triggers and wait for delivery you will be looking at that same 1500 and you won't start shootin' till Aug or Sept.

LAH
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey Bullshop..........I want to see it............Creeker

rikkit
05-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Bullshop, a PM and Email sent concerning the Stevens

Bullshop
05-26-2006, 01:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/4fe457f1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/f28edbb1.jpg
Here is the old Stevens. Dont know if the pic shows the figure in the wood or the case colors in the reciever.
BIC/BS

Bob S
05-26-2006, 02:16 PM
Dan

You've got *more* mail and PM on the Stevens. :-)

Resp'y,
Bob S.

LAH
05-26-2006, 06:04 PM
Nice rifle fer sore.

Marlin Junky
05-26-2006, 06:18 PM
Oh crap, now I'm in big trouble. I didn't even know these rifles existed. They've even got a Low Wall in 30-30! I've got to know all about these Cimarron Repro's. Assuming they are quality guns I've got to have Low Walls in at least half the available chamberings and High Walls in darn near all.

MJ

Marlin Junky
05-30-2006, 05:57 PM
I emailed Cimarron "tech" this morning and the only information I could get from them is the 1885's are made by Uberti and they only recommend factory ammo. They said about Buffalo Bore ammo, "No Buffalo Bore is not considered that (factory ammo) by us. I believe they make hot charged ammo".

Great tech staff, eh?

I'd like to try a Uberti Low Wall in 30-30 or 38-55 but if they are not at least as strong as a Marlin 336, I think I may order a High Wall in either 30-40, 38-55 or .348. I'm pretty sure the .30-40 was an original chambering although it wasn't produced until circa 1900.

Does anyone know if the Uberti Low/High Walls are proof tested and if so to what levels are they rated. The people at Cimarron appear to be simply sales people with no interest in details.

MJ

13Echo
05-30-2006, 09:11 PM
The Uberti Cimmarrons can handle any reasonable load and are probably stronger than an original Highwall. The actions are getting good reviews by Single shot shooters, but the barrels are sometimes less than stellar. The rifle type crescent buttplate can also get your attention with a stout load. Try calling up the Uberti site and see what they have to say. Personnally, if I can find one for a good price, I'll consider buying it just for the action.

Jerry Liles

Marlin Junky
05-31-2006, 01:50 AM
Thanks 13Echo,

What about the Low Walls? Will a Uberti Low Wall in 38-55 handle a steady diet of Buffalo Bore-like ammo? That is to say a 250 grain bullet at 2000 fps? Since Uberti chambers its Low Walls for the 30-30, these rifles should be able to handle a steady diet of 38K CUP but I have no idea about Uberti's reputation as a gun manufacturer.

MJ

13Echo
05-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Uberti makes a quality firearm that has to pass rather stringent Italian proof testing. I would prefer a high wall for hot loads but Browning chambered their version of the Low wall in .260 Remington, a very high pressure round. I believe the Uberti Low wall, made with modern steels, should handle the .38-55 just fine.

Jerry Liles

Marlin Junky
05-31-2006, 07:09 PM
13Echo,

The proof testing information is what I was trying to get from Cimarron but they blew me off. A .260 Browning Low Wall, hmmm... that sounds encouraging. I may get a 30-30 Low Wall first and see how it performs with my heavy boolits and capacity charges of H414 and such. What do you suppose the weight savings would be on a 38-55 Low Wall opposed to a 38-55 High Wall?

I appreciate your input
MJ

Wayne Smith
06-01-2006, 08:12 AM
Look at Pedersoli, too. They are in the process of putting together a High Wall and are polling the BPCR crowd to see what they like. It should be in the pipeline this summer. www.BPCR.net is the place to look.

Dandy2fingers
03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, and I may be, Italian rifles must be 'proofed' before they are shipped.... I remember seeing proof results posted somewhere.... I may be wrong but I kinda of remember this...

Anyone know?

calaloo
03-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I own a Cimarron Uberti Highwall in .38-55 with double set triggers. The action is great and the triggers are really nice. The crescent butt plate starts to hurt the shoulder after a while. The big thing is the barrel. Plainly put, it sucks. the bore is way to big for any factory mould. I've shot paper patched bullets of the proper size with lousy results. Over six months ago I ordered a Green mountain barrel for it but it is still backordered. I'm thinking about having John Taylor install a T.J.'s liner.

Do a search for Buckshot's problems with his Uberti .38-55 on this site.

If you buy one be aware that you are probably buying just the action.