PDA

View Full Version : Martini project questions

autofix4u
12-24-2009, 12:26 AM
I have for several years wanted to build a rifle on a martini style action. Price of the action or building one has been the limiting factor, untill I picked up a copy of Shotgun news yesterday. I see that IMA USA has some Nepalese gahanda (spelling) Martini actions for $79. anyone have any experience with these? I have a 30 cal take off barrel & am thinking of a 38special case necked down to 30 cal. I could load with 7.62 tok dies and 30 mauser data, and still be a rimmed case to work with the action. So with this info what say you all, sound like fun? Thanks, Josh DeLozier

Willbird
12-24-2009, 12:43 AM
I think if you have a look at the dimensions you will be able to use a 300 whisper chambering reamer(you will need to single point cut a recess for the rim however), and perhaps 300 whisper dies........

Bill

looseprojectile
12-25-2009, 01:59 PM
The necked down 38 special or .357 case would be perfect in a Martini cadet action. Excellent idea. On the larger action I would consider the the 30 30 with cast boolits. I have a Martini cadet with a really good bore in original .310 chamber
and .323 boolits would work good in a necked .357 case. That is the way it should have been made originally in my opinion. Single shot rifles are a sickness all their own.
I fear that the expense and/or work involved would have to be a labor of love and would be a large project by the time you made reamers and dies and wood.
There is a lot of satisfaction in, "I made it myself". Personally I have little time for the smaller projects already in my shop.
Just my two cents.

Life is good

Mugs
12-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Josh
The 30 Reese. Made from 38 special or brass and dies available. Made by Hornady. Load data at Handloads.com.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

Japlmg
12-25-2009, 05:20 PM
Spend the extra money and get one of the English made Martini Henrys from IMA.
Gregg

jrgift
01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Got a couple Martini actions back in the 70's ,the large ones.Made one into a 45-70 that works really well .Action does not work well wilh bottleneck cases since the action does have some spring to it and cases do not last for more than 3 reloads . I also made a 22-30-30 Imp. with the Ackley 40 degree shoulder.I like them. because a 26 inch barrel can be installed and still have a shorter rifle.It will be a labor of love,good luck.

stubshaft
01-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Back in the 70's I built a .357 mag on a Cadet action, got bored with it and remade it into .218 Ackley Bee which I still own. I also made one of the large actions into a (then relatively new) 444 Marlin. Due to the lack of suitable boolits (only 265 J-words were available) I sold it. They were/are fun actions to shoot and play around with and like Mugs said the 30 reese should be a blast to make out of a Cadet action.