PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Dies

BSkerj
12-24-2009, 12:24 AM
About a year ago I purchased two dies from Hornady. They were /are having a special ,if you buy a die recieve 100 free bullets of your choice. I ordered some 38's and 45 HP's. They were both backordered due to the current shortage on everything. I recieved the 45's about 6 months ago and completely forgot about the 38's. I recieved a email today stating my bullets were on the way! It was a pleasant surprise and Kudo's to Hornady for not forgetting its customers. Just wanted to give them a attaboy.

sagacious
12-24-2009, 01:03 AM
That was a good deal. Hornady has given me very good service in the past.

hornsurgeon
12-24-2009, 01:16 AM
i have had a couple of problems with their dies, one being my own fault.

they have had excellent service, and never tried to blame me for the issues like other companies, even when it was clearly my fault.

Deliverator
12-24-2009, 01:20 AM
What did you do hit it with a hammer?

44man
12-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Hornady dies are the reason for my revolver accuracy. No other single thing I do is as important.

Bill*
12-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Hornady Dies? Didn't even hear he was ill. sorry

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Hornady dies are the reason for my revolver accuracy. No other single thing I do is as important.

Jim, Jim...that's a pretty large chunk of horse hockey.

:roll:

Joe

44man
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Jim, Jim...that's a pretty large chunk of horse hockey.

:roll:

Joe
No Joe, The dimensions are as perfect as they can get for even neck tension. I can only equal them with my .44 BR collar dies and home made expanders.
I have played with dies and the problem for years and years along with polishing and making expanders but off the shelf, Hornady dies will do the job.
Remember I have preached to "think brass" when looking for accuracy, what you do to it is important. You can make RCBS or any dies to work but you need to work on them.
My boolits are the same all of you shoot and so is my powder. I do nothing special when loading---the dies are the things that put it all together. The wrong dies can make a $3000 gun shoot for ****.

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 02:21 PM
No Joe, The dimensions are as perfect as they can get for even neck tension. I can only equal them with my .44 BR collar dies and home made expanders.
I have played with dies and the problem for years and years along with polishing and making expanders but off the shelf, Hornady dies will do the job.
Remember I have preached to "think brass" when looking for accuracy, what you do to it is important. You can make RCBS or any dies to work but you need to work on them.
My boolits are the same all of you shoot and so is my powder. I do nothing special when loading---the dies are the things that put it all together. The wrong dies can make a $3000 gun shoot for ****.

Well Jim, apparently I must have good dies and putting my ammo together good as it's working fantastic for me.

Joe

44man
12-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Well Jim, apparently I must have good dies and putting my ammo together good as it's working fantastic for me.

Joe
That is all that counts Joe. You get no argument from me.
If it works, don't change but if accuracy evades you, look at the dies first.
I don't blame die makers because everyone shoots something different so they need to reach a happy medium. Some shoot nothing but "J" word stuff, others shoot soft boolits and others shoot hard lead.
For instance, I bought the Lyman neck die for my 45-70 BFR so I did not have to full length every time. But it does not size the necks enough and the expander does nothing at all. Boolits are way too loose. The die was made for rifles and soft boolits.

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 05:20 PM
That is all that counts Joe. You get no argument from me.
If it works, don't change but if accuracy evades you, look at the dies first.
I don't blame die makers because everyone shoots something different so they need to reach a happy medium. Some shoot nothing but "J" word stuff, others shoot soft boolits and others shoot hard lead.
For instance, I bought the Lyman neck die for my 45-70 BFR so I did not have to full length every time. But it does not size the necks enough and the expander does nothing at all. Boolits are way too loose. The die was made for rifles and soft boolits.

I have a set of Hornady dies like that. They are for the 45 Colt, 45acp, and the 45 Auto Rim. Now you know Jim that's not right. They end up not sizing 45 acp brass not only not tight enough to grip the bullets but in some instances won't even fit the chambers of various 45acp's.

Joe

44man
12-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I have a set of Hornady dies like that. They are for the 45 Colt, 45acp, and the 45 Auto Rim. Now you know Jim that's not right. They end up not sizing 45 acp brass not only not tight enough to grip the bullets but in some instances won't even fit the chambers of various 45acp's.

Joe
You are wrong Joe. The New Dimension dies are listed as 005-546582, .45 Colt. Then the .45 ACP/.45 Win Mag is 005-546554.
Two different die sets. There is no way in the world to use .45 Colt dies to load ACP rounds.

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 05:48 PM
You are wrong Joe. The New Dimension dies are listed as 005-546582, .45 Colt. Then the .45 ACP/.45 Win Mag is 005-546554.
Two different die sets. There is no way in the world to use .45 Colt dies to load ACP rounds.

Jim,

No, you are wrong sir. I hate to burst your bubble, but you don't know everything there is to know about reloading. View the picture and weep my friend:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/45Dies.jpg

Those are for the 45acp, 45AR, 45 WinMag, and 45 Colt. And they are new dimension dies.

Joe

leftiye
12-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, boo hoo, I guess. (I'm so impressed)

Maximilian225
12-24-2009, 06:14 PM
:coffee:

watkibe
12-24-2009, 06:29 PM
"And that, Grasshopper, is what it is like when two Boolit Masters clash !"

Talk about hijacking a thread, lol !

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Aw shucks....I reckon I was little unseasonably harsh. :oops: I'm sorry Jim. I don't know everything either, just sometimes.

I believe Hornady dropped my dies. The replacement is 546554. Mine are 544554. The replacement dies leave off the 45 Colt. I also hope that Hornady tightened up the sizing specs too.

Joe

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, boo hoo, I guess. (I'm so impressed)

You should be rightiye. :bigsmyl2:

Joe

DLCTEX
12-24-2009, 09:54 PM
A friend had ordered Hornady dies in 7mm mag. more than 10 months ago from Midway and had given up and bought from another source. Of course Midway shipped them a few weeks ago so I swapped my spare set of RCBS 243 dies for them. I'm tickled pink with the deal and he's happy as he is able to load for a new gun without waiting for dies.

44man
12-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Aw shucks....I reckon I was little unseasonably harsh. :oops: I'm sorry Jim. I don't know everything either, just sometimes.

I believe Hornady dropped my dies. The replacement is 546554. Mine are 544554. The replacement dies leave off the 45 Colt. I also hope that Hornady tightened up the sizing specs too.

Joe
By golly, you made me look at my box and you are right. Mine says the same thing and from the position of the expander you would think they would work for the ACP.
I don't know what to say either but there must have been problems and they changed.
Mine is the old green box and does not say LC, it says .45 Colt.

StarMetal
12-24-2009, 11:06 PM
By golly, you made me look at my box and you are right. Mine says the same thing and from the position of the expander you would think they would work for the ACP.
I don't know what to say either but there must have been problems and they changed.
Mine is the old green box and does not say LC, it says .45 Colt.

Wow a green box. As you saw mine is red. They must have dropped that line Jim. Maybe enough folks called in with complaints like mine, except I didn't call them. The new ones only list up to the Win Mag.

Sorry for getting on ya so hard. Reckon I should have put some chain yanks and teethy smiles in there.

I'm thinking about selling mine. I have dedicated Redding 45 Colt dies and RCBS 45 acp dies and I don't load for the other two.

Joe

jandbn
12-24-2009, 11:21 PM
I have Red box labeled:
Custom-Grade "New Dimension" Dies
45 COLT
Series II 3 Die Set TITANIUM NITRIDE
Item# 546582
http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Colt-.452-3-Die-Set/

I ordeded them the last week of August from Cabela's and they arrive the middle of October (back ordered). My assumption is that this is Hornady's newest "number". I still haven't had a chance to use 'em yet :cry:

rickster
12-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Green box? Got any pics?

Windy City Kid
12-25-2009, 12:17 AM
How do you guys like the Hornady Custom-Grade "New Dimension" Seater Dies with cast boolits?

Is the floating bullet guide in the Hornady CGND seater dies made for "J" bullets and a little tight for cast boolits?

Will they work with cast boolits .001" or .002 over a jacketed diameter?

I am thinking of getting a set of Hornady CGND dies for 9mm.

Thanks,

WCK

44man
12-25-2009, 10:17 AM
OH, OH, I made a BOO BOO! :(. I was on the upstairs computer when I said green box. It is RED and mixed in with all the empty Redding and RCBS boxes. I dug it out this morning again and kind of turned red myself. I must have been color blind last night. [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:
Sorry Joe, my mistake.
I also found I have 7.62X39 Hornady (never used), 7mm-08 (Hornady) .357 super mag and .375 super mag dies (Redding) in the drawer. Anyone need them, make an offer and pay postage.

StarMetal
12-25-2009, 11:27 AM
OH, OH, I made a BOO BOO! :(. I was on the upstairs computer when I said green box. It is RED and mixed in with all the empty Redding and RCBS boxes. I dug it out this morning again and kind of turned red myself. I must have been color blind last night. [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:
Sorry Joe, my mistake.
I also found I have 7.62X39 Hornady (never used), 7mm-08 (Hornady) .357 super mag and .375 super mag dies (Redding) in the drawer. Anyone need them, make an offer and pay postage.

That's Ok Jim, I'm a bit color blind in darkness myself for real.

Joe

TAWILDCATT
12-26-2009, 06:05 PM
just asking how do you crimp 45 acp with a 45 colt die??
45 acp=.476
45 colt=.480
colt dies wont size the 45 acp right.:coffee:

StarMetal
12-26-2009, 06:13 PM
just asking how do you crimp 45 acp with a 45 colt die??
45 acp=.476
45 colt=.480
colt dies wont size the 45 acp right.:coffee:

Hornady engineered their bullet seater and crimp die to crimp the 45acp, 45AR, 45WinMag, and 45 Colt. Don't forgot on the Colt cartridge most bullets have a crimp groove. Quite deep on a cast or swaged bullet. The 45acp doesn't have a crimp groove, but you can use bullets with grooves in both the 45AR and 45WinMag. With that said on the 45acp you don't have to turn the case mouth in as much because the bullet doesn't have a crimp groove and you also don't want too much of a crimp on the ACP for headspacing purposed. So Hornady found an inbetween.

Joe

Rex
12-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Living in Nebraska, I've toured the Hornady plant a couple of times. They are really nice people and their bullet making facility is fun to see.
Rex