PDA

View Full Version : New boolit, new sight

ghh3rd
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I just got the TLC432-265-RF .44 mold and took some of these new boolits to the range this weekend. Also installed my new Ultradot to my Ruger SBH. New boolits with a new sight :-)

These were WW +3% tin, air cooled, unsized, dropping at .431+/432, Felix lube hand applied. Load was 22gr 110.

Fired at 50 yds sandbagged, with Ultradot sight. Groups were 3.53", 2.08", 2.46", 1.74", 2.29", 2.34". Does this sound about average? (maybe someday this could be at 100 yds?)

Next outing I will try some water dropped, 21.8gr, 22.0gr, 22.2gr, and a like batch of air cooled.

Randy

243winxb
12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Your groups sound about right to me. If you can hold the 10 ring on the 50 yd bullseye target, your doing good. Depending on how big(moa) you red dot is, a small dot might get you smaller groups or even a scope with cross hairs. Nice going so far. Many would be very happy with the accuracy your getting. I like your air cooled alloy (3% tin)

HammerMTB
12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm using that same boo
I like it and it works well from plinking (900 FPS) up to magnum/hunting vels.
you don't need to GC it for plinkers. I am looking forward to getting my group buy mold of this boo in a conventional lube design. I got a 4-banger, 3 PB and a GC in it. I avoid GCs unless I really need 'em.
As 243winxb said, your accuracy will be limited by the red dot. I have adapted to some of my red dots by putting my POA above the dot instead of the conventional paint the target with the dot sight picture. This gives me a bit more precision. On my .44, tho, I have a scope so crosshairs are easier to sight dead on.
Your groups are fine, and you will continue to improve with time and technique. It's about time to start looking for the fine details of accuracy.