PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on how to get the lube out the sizer

phishroy
12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question.

Im wondering if there is a simple easy (not so messy and sticky) way to empty the lube reservoir on a star sizer other than cranking it out the lube holes.

Kskybroom
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Heat, Hair dryer, Heat gun, Dismantle boil in water, propane torch,(its messy) Be careful not to get it hot,(paint rubber).....

FAsmus
12-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Phishroy;

The deal here is not get in a hurry.

I have a plumber's blow-torch ~ A propane item would work too but heat up the lubrisizer gently so as not to overheat anything and stop heating as soon as the old lube begins to drip out. All meaningful lube will melt out and there is no way you can catch it all; its best done outside or over a dirt floor of some kind.

My SAECO sizer's pressure screw, spring and leather seal has to be disasembled and washed in gasoline to remove every last trace of old lube .. I don't know how Lyman/RCBS/Starr tools are designed.

Good evenng,
Forrest

redgum
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Get yourself an "OLD"2 gallon boiler or something similar (not the wife's good one) and gently boil the lubesizer in that until the lube is outed. when the water cools you can salvage the lube which will set & float on the suface. Beware that if you remove lubesizer first it will acquire an external coating of lube

azjohn
12-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Agree with red. Immersing it in hot water works the best for cast iron. You get a good even heat. The lube will float to the top and you can skim it off.

Horace
12-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Heat sizer over a flat bottom shallow pan using a heat gun.When lube is cool scrape out with a putty knife and you will have some lube cookie material. Horace

fredj338
12-22-2009, 01:18 AM
Just curious, why? I have never removed lube form my Star. I just keep filling it up & using it. Am I missing something?

Mk42gunner
12-22-2009, 03:08 AM
Fred,

The only time I totally clean out my lubamatic is to change the type of lube I am using.

Robert

joeb33050
12-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Disassemble everything that will come off. Take out the die. Put the sizer in a pan, sort of upright so the lube will flow out. Put it in the oven at low heat, along with the die/s. Want it warm enough for the lube to turn liquid, just barely. Clean what you took off. Take it out of the oven, out of the pan, on some newspaper, and clean wherever you can. Works for me, and is simple. Simpler the second time. Dead easy the fifth time.
joe b.

Bucks Owin
12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
You guys will love this. Bought a used Lyman 450 that oozed lube and was generally kinda "yukky" from years of use. I sent to Lyman for new O-rings and a GC seater, then stripped the thing bare and put it in the WOODSTOVE! Burned all the paint and old lube off it and had a like new casting. Some fresh paint and a new heater under it and voila! Looks and works like new...:bigsmyl2: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Lyman004.jpg

canuck4570
12-22-2009, 09:01 PM
put the lube seizer in the oven at about 200
standing upright in a pail
before take all O rings off the seizer and also the seizing die and you are in business....

leadman
12-22-2009, 11:08 PM
The idea of boiling the luber-sizer got me to doing a dangerous thing: thinking!
Would the hardened lube be like the CFVentures wax gas checks?

Might have to try this and see how it works with some Carnuba Red.

Sky King
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
I emptied the lube out of my Lyman 450 earlier this year, and just boiled water and the poured the water into the reservoir. This way I didn't have to worry about melting o-rings or paint.

fredj338
12-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Fred,

The only time I totally clean out my lubamatic is to change the type of lube I am using.

Robert
I have changed lubes several times & just add to the chamber. The residual lube left over seems to migrate out ion just a few pulls of the handle in the Star. As always, JMO, but it seems uneccessary hassle.:drinks:

mpmarty
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
"clean?" vas iss das "clean"? I'll have y'all know my Lyman 45 is protected from the harsh elements in my shop by a medium layer of assorted lube, a virtual rainbow of colors.

mpmarty
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM
While on this subject, my Star has some threaded plugs on the left lower side of the casting. Are these "drain" holes?