PDA

View Full Version : 10-22

MT Gianni
12-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Local Cenex is running a sale $196.29 for a wood stocked, blued 10-22. I never thought I needed another but picked one up. What are they going for in your areas? Gunbroker ran up to $325 new.

docone31
12-21-2009, 08:09 PM
Mt, they all need headspacing.
Remove the bolt, and extractor. The extractor is ok, but an aftermarket one will last forever and you can use any ammo.
I sanded my head space to .043. Made quite a difference.
I floated my barrel, and pinned the reciever. For the barrel band, I cut the top off. This I then drilled two screw holes ea on each side. In other words, my barrel band does not go over the barrel. When floating, I got clearance but the barrel band makes it worthless.
I use the barrel band, without the top for the Harris Bipod. I did not play with the extractor. I did a trigger job, and speed clip lever.
There are a lot of goodies out for the 10/22. Mine now sports a 24" .98 barrel, Bentz chambered.
A sweet accurate little rifle.
Oh yeah, I added the 1" recoil pad. I am a big boy, and the extra length makes a difference.
My wife loves it.

jh45gun
12-22-2009, 02:29 AM
10/22 is a tinkerers rifle plain and simple there are others out there that shoot better hands down right out of the box. Yea I have owned some like 4 stock ones and one factory target one.

NickSS
12-22-2009, 04:19 AM
I have two of them a stock carbine and a factory target rifle. The only mode I have done to them is grind a little on the triggers to lighten the pull and get rid of some creep and I did the mod to the bolt hold open so it releases by just pulling the bolt handle back. The factory target rifle has a nice stock and feels good but does not shoot as well as my CZ 453 varminter. The factory trigger is the standard trigger only factory ground on to lighten the pull. The factory needs to work on this some more as it still stinks to high heaven. I have been debating about selling it or fixing it as is it is not a target rifle in spite of its name.

NuJudge
12-22-2009, 06:43 AM
You paid about the going rate for the plain version. They make fancy versions too. Ruger has done a lot of economizing on them in recent years, with plastic front bands and now a plastic trigger group housing, and they leave the receiver surface very rough and just paint it.

Modifications you can make go from mild to wild. Adjusting headspace will do a lot. Having the barrel breach faced off and the barrel rechambered more tightly will also. Having a pin put through the top front of the bolt will help accuracy some. There are various bedding systems available, some concentrate on the receiver, others on the barrel. There is another website that concentrates on these:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

jh45gun
12-22-2009, 06:55 AM
You paid about the going rate for the plain version. They make fancy versions too. Ruger has done a lot of economizing on them in recent years, with plastic front bands and now a plastic trigger group housing, and they leave the receiver surface very rough and just paint it.

Kinda funny when Henry came out with the plastic front bands they were bashed all over the place along with the alloy receiver but no one never said a peep about Ruger doing the same yet I brought that up countless times on the forums.

Not sure if Henry switched over on their new guns to metal bands or not but I have metal bands on my 22 Mag I asked for an upgrade to metal bands and I got them.

kingstrider
12-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Local Cenex is running a sale $196.29 for a wood stocked, blued 10-22. I never thought I needed another but picked one up. What are they going for in your areas? Gunbroker ran up to $325 new.

Sounds about normal for a baseline model. I had a stainless version a couple years ago but traded it for a basket case '65 Gretsch Country Gentleman. I wound up selling that for a grand and put the funds towards a real .22 ;)

bubba.50
12-22-2009, 11:45 AM
$207.00 and change at the local wally-world which is beginnin' to be about the only place locally to even buy a gun. unless you want to pay the double prices the pawn shops want. have owned probably 25-30 10-22s some good some not so much. but, all have been pretty reliable and were well made. i've heard that it's changing a lot over there since ol' bill passed on. bet he's spinnin' in his grave. for what it's worth, bubba. merry christmas to one and all.

MT Gianni
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't had one for around 5 years now, the CZ452 having taken the brunt of the work. This one will get shot and tuned then stuck somewhere. Thanks guys.

jh45gun
12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Henry Rifles. They are excellent. I have not seen one that was not perfect and all fired flawlessly from .22 to .44 mag. And they are American Made.

I have a 22 mag with a compact Leupold 4x on it and I love it. I would never get rid of it. Only 22 rifle I have I traded off my Marlin 60 because when I shoot 22 my Smith&Wesson 22A gets all my attention.

snowwolfe
12-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Local chain store has em for $189 and we don't have sales tax. Earlier this year another store ran a special for $179.
Bought the digital camo version for $199 recently. They are fun rifles for plinking if you realize that stock they are not very accurate.

kycrawler
01-03-2010, 09:00 PM
214 here locally for the plain birch stocked carbine

docone31
01-04-2010, 12:44 PM
They are fun to play with though.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183031
A little imagination goes a long way.

9.3X62AL
01-04-2010, 04:36 PM
The current 10/22 in residence (Version 6.0, I think) is a ragged-looking beater I bought at The Stockade in Westminster from their "whatzis" rack for $65 about 3 years ago. It cleaned up OK, and REALLY shoots well as-found. I bought it to build a kit rifle out of, but it shoots so well that I can't justify turning wrenches on things not broken. Its best ammo--CCI Mini-Mag HP--will do 1.25" at 50 yards, often better. That's 10-shot groups, BTW.

The prior five 10/22s are residing at the homes of kids and nephews.

Uncle R.
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I had a stainless version a couple years ago but traded it for a basket case '65 Gretsch Country Gentleman.
<
Now there's a blast from the past! I lusted for one of those guitars when I was a youngster.
<
Back to topic - before you start modifying everything on that new 10-22 try the dang thing. Mine shoots very near MOA with mini-mags and the rifle is absolutely stock. I ain't saying it wouldn't benefit from a little trigger work - but the barrel and the band and the stock and the bedding are gonna be left alone.
<
Uncle R.

docone31
01-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I agree, try it first.
Then, if needed, trigger job, then headspace, then a rear buttpad. The 1" one makes a large difference on the rifle. Then if you really want to get critical, pin the reciever and bed with CA. The extractor is a simple swap out.
I have tried many stocks. The best one for me is the stock one. I did take my barrel band and cut it into pieces. I put a 1" barrel on, and relieved the band to fit. I ended up countersinking two screws to hold the band to the stock, then useing the lower screw to mount the sling.
Mag release, eh... not a biggee, you don't need a speed bolt closer either. If you get a scope, get an one piece mount.
They are sweet little rifles.
I never got the bigger clips to work either. I just use the stock ones.

MT Gianni
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
This one seems to work OK. It came with a weaver one piece base and wears a Weaver 3x now. With mixed ammo it ran 3/4" best group 10 shots @ 50 yards. Sometimes you just get lucky. My last one went with my son.

crabo
01-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Here's my 10/22 from when I used to shoot the Sportsman Team Challenge. The target is 10 shots at 50 yards. The one flier is from before I pinned the firing pin. Once I pinned the firing pin, it eliminated that first shot flyer from the magazine.

The other rifles are some paint jobs that I did. I used to sell McMillian stocks back in the day. I like mounting my scope mount on the barrel instead of on the reciever.

johnlaw484
01-06-2010, 03:23 AM
I paid $65 for mine new.

Jack Stanley
01-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I dunno what current price is , my last 10/22 was a sporter model I bought in the seventies . It shot just OK up untill the time my gunsmith put a better hammer into it and that one modification cut group size by two thirds . It's point of impact hasn't changed in about the last fifteen years it's been hanging in the barn . It's safe to say that I can't bash this particular Ruger . ;)

Jack

oldhickory
01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I paid $85.00 for mine, it wears an OLD Weaver 2.5X with a heavy post for quick shooting of feral cats and other pests around the place. At one time I did mount a Weaver V-3X9 on it, just to see how well it shot...It did very well, almost as good as my Winchester M69, but the scope weighed as much as the rifle so the 2.5X took it's place.

It goes, "BANG" when I want it to and hits what I want it to. For me, it's an ideal kitchen door utility gun. Not quite as handy as an M1 Carbine, but it's a darn fair substitute in .22LR! It's quick to shoulder, and fast on target.

I wouldn't be without it, same as my 6" Ruger std. model .22 pistol.