PDA

View Full Version : .357 Timber Wolf

blackthorn
12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
This handy little pump action rifle was produced in both .357Mag and .44Mag chambering. Apparently, only about 800 rifles were produced. Its value (from perusing auction sites) as somewhat of a collector’s item is therefore quite high when compared to its original new purchase price of around $350.00 to $400.00. The .357Mag version will also accept .38 special ammunition. “Discussion” on the “net” indicates, first that people who have them love them and second, that in .357Mag, it can be expected to produce close to .30-30 performance levels out to about 150 yards. The rear sight is adjustable in 55 yard (50 meter) increments out to 275 yards (250 meters), while the front sight is fixed.

I acquired mine at a gun show in Burnaby BC for $250.00. It looked like new and the seller assured me it had only been fired “a few times”. Included in the purchase price was a full box of cartridges. I took that cute little rifle home and several months later I took it up to my lakeside cabin to try it out. Having found a convenient gravel pit, I loaded it up, aimed it at a tin can, pulled the trigger and---“click”---but no “bang”. Whaaaat??, tried again---and then again---NOTHING!! Picked up the misfired cartridges and examined them. All three had a very light firing pin mark on them! Checked the bases of the cartridges in the box I got with the rifle and---yep---every one of them had a very light firing pin mark on it. On further investigation I noticed a light, oily/greasy, brown ring around the firing pin orifice on the bolt face. I found the original owner had neglected to clean the factory shipped Cosmoline out of the interior of the bolt so the firing pin was retarded and could not strike hard enough to fire the rifle! Cleaned it out and all was well. So I got a used (but never fired) rifle for a very good price!

Now the question(s)---Do any of you have experience with cast in these rifles? Should I use handgun level loads or can/should they be loaded up? Is it reasonable to expect levels of performance equal to those of a 30-30 out to 150 yards for game? paper? Any comments?

Have a great day!!!

threett1
12-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Guess what? My story is almost the same as yours. I did buy mine from a private individual, who had put it in his gun safe 18 years ago and left it there. Just recently he had talked to a mutual friend about it and he told me. The ownwer claimed it did not feed properly, and would sell it for how HE GAVE FOR IT!! I kind of took that as a challenge and bought it from him CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP! When I got it home I promptly fed some rounds thru it and it functioned properly. I mounted a red dot on it and went to the range. First shot-click. Second, click, and so on. A few did go off, but had very light primer strikes. Soon I noticed some brown goo oozing out the firing pin hole. Took it home and stripped it down. Cleaned it out good. Have great pin strikes now. Just need to get to the range and check it out now. The guy said he had only put 22 rounds thru it. Basically I aquired a 20 year old NEW gun.

dubber123
12-21-2009, 03:58 PM
All right, anyone else have one with a gummed up firing pin for sale for origional price.... I remember when they came out. I should have bought one then. I have read several reports on the .357 versions shooting VERY well.

Mk42gunner
12-22-2009, 02:57 AM
I saw quite a few of these in Southern California when they came out, I find it hard to believe they only made 800 of them. I liked the lookd of them, but didn't really have any place to keep one, (living on board ship), I was more into pistols and revolvers at the time.

I kind of wish that I had bought one now, I like oddball guns.

Robert

Farmall 1066
12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
A Deputy we used to rent a farmhouse to had one as a backup to his S&W 686. I really liked shooting it, and have wanted one for a long time.

Wonder why nobody has resurrected the design? I really wanted a Thunderbolt in 357, until I realized you couldn't get them in carbine length. I settled for a 16" Puma 92 clone.

Andy

jeffwhetstone
12-23-2009, 12:07 AM
hi blackthorn.
I had the same exact experience when i recently picked up a Timber Wolf in nearly unfired condition. A good cleaning and it's been flawless for a few hundred rounds.
As for loads, I'm just getting started. Best plinker I've found so far is 4.0 gr Bullseye behind the Lee 358-158-RF in mag brass. Not a 1-holer, but consistenly under 2" @ 50yds and absolutely no leading when cast from 50%WW and 50% range scrap. Also shot a pile of 2.7gr bullseye w/ Lee 358-148-WC. They're fairly accurate at shorter distances, but don't cycle real smoothly in mine. Just picked up some 2400 to try some more stout loads.

I'd be interested in what kind of groups others have shot with cast in this piece...