PDA

View Full Version : A Clean Barrel Article by Barsness

1Shirt
12-21-2009, 11:33 AM
The Nov American Rifleman has an article by Barsness on various issues regarding clean bbls and cleaning bbls etc. He is advocating "Ultra Bore Cote", and says that "it supposedly prevents or vastly reduces metal fouling for both copper or lead. This stuff is pretty expensive, but per advertizing, a little goes a long way. The web page for it says that once used, you should never again use a brass brush, and when cleaning should only use solvent patches.

My question is this, has anyone on this web tried this product, and if so, what are your thoughts and opinions? Unless I start getting leading, for whatever reason, I only run one dry patch down the bbl after shooting cast, wipe down the gun, and am ready for the next time I hit the range. However, I shoot some of my rifles with both cast and jacketed and clean after shooting jacketed if there is any trace of copper fouling. Much has been said lately by various individuals regarding cleaning, cleaning to much, not cleaning, bbl ware from cleaning, etc.etc.etc. So just wondering about how much testing with this product has been done primarily with cast. It may be the next best thing since sliced white bread and dry toilet paper, but being cheap, always look for words of wisdom befor I sink a buck into something.

I thank in advance all who respond to this thread, and I wish a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on Castboolits!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

S.R.Custom
12-21-2009, 12:08 PM
What's in it?

(Discussion about this particular brand of snake oil comes up every now and again...
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26772 )

Rocky Raab
12-21-2009, 12:34 PM
I haven't used the stuff, but I know JB. If he believes it works, then it probably does. (He might be wrong, but he'd never be dishonest about what he believes to be true.)

mike in co
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
most of my rifles that i shoot jacketed in, are moly coated and i do not use any wire brushes in any of them. patches only.

in my cast boolit guns i seldom use a wire brush, most clean up with just a wet patch of ed's red.

mike in co

1Shirt
12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Mag, "What's in it?", don't know, but presume it is propriatory mix. I was interested in the fact that he said something about it firming its CERAMIC components into the tiny imperfections in the bore. Being a potter (most common word for a crramist)that is what aroused my interest. But like I said, don't know.

Rocky, Don't know the man, and have not had the chance to press flesh with him, but do usually enjoy his articles.

It would seem to me that there ought to be more than just those who have replied who would have words of wisdom on this stuff---------but, maybe not!

STP22
12-21-2009, 08:30 PM
I also use moly (Tungsten Disulfide) in five rifles. The principal is the same with the Ultra Bore Coat as I understand it. While I have yet to drive a dedicated CB rifle with a moly coated bore, I do plan to try one that has been treated with moly and j-word bullets with cast to see how it does. The one I plan to try is a Remington 700VS in 308 Winchester. It has a history of 1K F-Class matches with naked bullets prior to the switch to moly coated loads. (SMK 175gr with 45gr Varget) Naturally, it will be de-coppered with bore foam prior to doing this. It`s current round count is north of 1200 rounds...

I`d imagine with all the 1903`s and such here with countless rounds of factory ammo thru them that this has been tried before. But, there are many "suspect" bores that handle cast with good accuracy without the need of such bore treatments.

As far as moly goes, once it`s in there...it`s always in there.:shock:

Scott

felix
12-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Moly or molly is equal to Molybdenum disulphide. Tungsten is nowhere around. ... felix

Heavy lead
12-21-2009, 10:54 PM
I checked into this stuff, I believe it is a ceremic coating.

btroj
12-21-2009, 11:06 PM
It's too much work and out of your price range.
I know you and your wallet.

Your son in law- Brad

S.R.Custom
12-22-2009, 01:24 AM
He he. That's funny.

Mk42gunner
12-22-2009, 02:37 AM
... It may be the next best thing since sliced white bread and dry toilet paper, but being cheap, always look for words of wisdom befor I sink a buck into something.

I thank in advance all who respond to this thread, and I wish a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all on Castboolits!

Personally, I think dry toilet paper is way more important than sliced bread.

On your question about the bore coating, this is my opimiom, (and it might even be worth what you paid for it). I think it would be awfully hard to make it pay for itself. In my mind, it is kind of a catch 22 situation, if you have a good barrel, you don't need it, and if your barrel is rough enough to need a coating it makes more sense to rebarrel than to throw more money at it. To me if it is a coating, it would have to change the interior dimensions of the barrel.

Robert

1Shirt
12-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Goes to show that once in awhile a son in law can be right!
1Shirt!:coffee: