PDA

View Full Version : Replacement motor for Dillon Brass Polisher

Just Duke
12-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Anyone ever replaced one? Dillon wants $99.00 for the motor and the polisher runs $180.00-ish
The one I have that burnt the bearings out and now leaves black dust all over the floor is the model CV 2001.

Shiloh
12-21-2009, 11:08 AM
That is STEEP for a motor.

Is there any markings on the motor? I would guarantee Dillon doesn't make them but purchases or contracts from someone else. I doubt they assemble them either.

I'm a big Dillon fan and have nothing but praise for them and the customer service, but $99 for a new motor??

RCBS replaced mine twice in 15 years for the cost of me shipping it to them. New motor, no return shipping charges, a packet of RCBS literature, AND they refused to let me pay for the return shipping.

Shiloh

deltaenterprizes
12-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Try WW Grainger,the motor MUST have BALL bearings. 300 rpm 1/40 HP Item# 4M080 about $50

Just Duke
12-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Try WW Grainger,the motor MUST have BALL bearings. 300 rpm 1/40 HP Item# 4M080 about $50

You replaced yours Delta?

Pitmaster
12-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Plug any numbers and manufacturer listed on the motor in to Google to see what comes up. You should be able to find another one.

If not, and you burnt out one of their motors either by another motor or buy a cement mixer cause you are using it too much.

Boz330
12-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Several years back I sent mine back to Dillon for a new motor and about a week later a brand new one showed up. Absolutely no charge for the tumbler or shipping.
If you are going to buy the motor, the search thing might work the best since Grainger isn't the cheapest place to get things.

Bob

Edubya
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't remember exactly what all I did but when mine stopped, I cleaned the motor and plugged it back in. I was pleasantly surprised. Try it, they are exposed to a lot of dust.
EW

runfiverun
12-21-2009, 03:23 PM
i just went to harbor freight and replaced my lyman.
the one i got to replace it, i like better it has an enclosed lid and good seals [no dust]
they have a super large one there that looks like it would do 1,000 357's easily enough.

cbrick
12-21-2009, 03:40 PM
Yep, replaced mine almost a year ago and like you I was a bit shocked at the cost of a new motor but I went ahead and ordered it. After it arrived I was gald I did.

It is not the same motor that came in the tumbler (the 500), it is a far, far better motor, bigger, enclosed, ball bearings, heavier and dead silent. I also bought a second tumbler (the 750) that does come with the same new motor and with both tumblers running side by side empty I have to touch them to convince myself that they are running. Unbelievably quiet. The 500 and the 750 are exactly the same tumblers except for the numbers and the new 750 comes with the new motor.

Dillon stopped the lifetime warranty on the tumblers I think about 10 years ago and possibly this is why they changed the number of the tumbler from 500 to 750. I was told by Dillon that if you ship them the tumbler instead of just ordering the motor they replace the springs and go over the whole thing instead of simply replacing the motor all for the cost of the motor.

It is pricey but this new motor is a very high quality item.

Rick

Rick459
12-21-2009, 04:48 PM
if you have purchased any Dillon Electrical products before 1999, then those electrical products are are covered by the No-BS warranty. case in fact. about two years ago the motor in my 650 case feeder went bad. my 650 and all the extras were bought back in 1995. Dillon sent me a new motor free of charge. this mourning my Low Powder Sensor wouldn't work, when i called Dillon being that it was bought back in 1996, it was covered with the no-BS warranty. they were going to send out another one to replace it, but after giving it a good cleaning(the culprit was corroision on the contacts) i got it to work again. called Dillon and told them to cancel the shipment. nice to know that when this does finally go bad it will be replaced free of charge. HTH
Rick

Mike W1
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
I'd be inclined to take it to our local electric motor rewind shop and ask them for a quote on repairing it.

deltaenterprizes
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
You replaced your Delta?

I built my first 2 tumblers one rotary and one vibratory. The rotary was made from plexiglass scrap and was like a Thumbler's tumbler. The second one I purchased a Lyman 3200 bowl and made the rest.

alamogunr
12-22-2009, 10:53 AM
I've always used a Midway vibrator type that I bought several years ago. Not the biggest or the best quality but it always works. Following some advice here or on another board, I removed the bottom plate and used a chassis punch to put four 1" diameter holes in it for ventilation. I guess time will tell if it extends it's life. When it gives up the ghost, I'll buy another one.

John
W.TN

crabo
12-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I drilled a series of 1 1/2" holes in the base of mine. I have a small fan that I plug in the timer along with the vibrator. It runs much cooler. I paid $55 for a new motor from an electric supply.

helg
12-22-2009, 11:43 AM
For the $90, which Dillon asks for their replacement motor, you can buy 3 (three) new tumblers at midsouth s.s.

DLCTEX
12-22-2009, 12:02 PM
For the $90, which Dillon asks for their replacement motor, you can buy 3 (three) new tumblers at midsouth s.s.

Or two Frankford Arsenal from Midway, mine has been faithfully working for more than 15 years and sometimes ran for 24 hours when I for it.

Hang Fire
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Many electric motors have a NEMA frame number which covers it's specs. If you can find the frame number, Google it and see what you come up with.

Roundball
12-25-2009, 12:46 AM
Ditto: The motor went out on my CV2001. The unit less the bowl was sent back. The older tumbler base with the old motor had to be modified. The new motor assembly was significantly better than the old. Not cheap but it runs much better. Years ago I had to replace a Lyman tumbler motor and it was half retail price of the entire unit

enoch59
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, I was running some 9mm cases and the noise coming from my Dillon CV-2001 was deafening. I've spent hours thinking it was worn out gaskets and using rubber washers to try and quiet this thing down to a low ROAR. Anyway, I switched out a load and was thinking of loading another batch but first I tried turning it on and nothing but a humm. I realized that this unit has been going out ever since I got it about two years ago. It came to me via a neighbor who had past on and his wife gave it to me for helping her out. I guess I got my moneys worth out of it. The thought of having this thing run quietly is really tempting me but alas I'm unemployed and cannot afford to buy a new motor. Has anybody figured out a quick fix other than a 12 ga. slug ? The thought of running cases by the hundred instead of the thousand is bumming me out. Thanks for any input, Enoch.

enoch59
01-18-2014, 01:47 AM
I've run the gambit from motor repair shops to cheap alternatives and nothing but brick walls. I decided that nothing ventured is nothing gained so I blew out the motor with my compressor and then soaked it down with several blasts of WD40. After letting it sit for a few hours I laid hands on it and prayed ( I have not because I ask not ) and then screwed the little beast down on my workbench and turned on the switch and hummmmm it did. That little spindle just whirled at 3000 rpm's and was as quiet as it could be. Yes ! So I reattached the weight onto the spindle and put the whole thing back together and then the great moment was at hand. What a disaster ! I guess that weight on the spindle is the killer cause there was no way I could have turned it off fast enough. Bummer. I had a great idea though. I've always wanted one of those case prep stations and now I have a motor perfect for running one. Oh, by the way. Do you know what your shaker is like without the weight on the spindle ? It does nothing. Just sits there and humms.

Hardcast416taylor
01-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Back in the last century I bought the HUGE Dillon case tumbler. I was shooting lots of .38 spcl. target loads back then. Well the motor quit on the tumbler, so I called Dillon about it. I sent the whole thing back to them. About 3 weeks later here comes my tumbler plastic base back but with everything else on it brand new, at no charge! Now my question is how would I prove that my tumbler is of their no BS covered policy should it fail again, and would they replace it again at no charge?Robert?

David2011
01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
For those who are unfamiliar with the CV-2001 polisher, it's a monster. They advertise the capacity at 1,300 .38/.357 or 550 .30-06 cases per hour. Comparing it to the Harbor Freight or other small polishers is like comparing a dump bed pickup to a full sized dump truck.

The replacement motor is a beast. It's almost big enough to be on a washing machine. Several years ago the motor on my 500 went out. I bought the replacement which was in the $40-60 range. It died in a month or so. I called Dillon. They had no more of the small motors and converted it to the new 750/2001 motor. The new 750s sport the same motor as the massive 2001. It is a different machine with the new motor. It's extremely quiet. Talk to Dillon. It's probably worth it to send the whole unit back to Dillon less the tub and motor. No need to pay to ship a bad motor. I have the upgraded 500 and an old 2001. The old 2001 motor is noisy but I'll keep using it until the motor dies and then replace the motor. I finally broke down and ordered the big media separator a couple of weeks ago so will have to keep the big tumbler going.

David

44man
01-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Motors without ball bearings need lubed now and then. But I found bearings made in China with no lube and grit in them. I peel out the seals, wash out the bearings and lube with good grease then put the seals back.
The cheap window fans do the same so I wash them out with soap, all through the motor too. Let them dry, take the motor apart and oil the felt and bushings.
Those tumbler motors almost never burn up. they just can't turn because of dry bushings.

Iron Mike Golf
01-19-2014, 11:44 AM
If the bearings are shot, why not replace those? I did that on my Frankford. $6 for a pair of bearings. Got them from VXB.com.

Just Duke
01-19-2014, 06:17 PM
I guess after five year no one saw this other than myself so I'll explain it.
Here's the problem.
The motor amateur is counter weighted so to cause a wobble which puts "bearing destroying" stress on the motor. This stress causes heat which cooks the lubricant out of the bearings.
The application for this motor was never intended to be counter balanced and ran like it is used in a vibratory brass polisher.
Someones less than bright idea and others just copied it. Borrowed from the parts polishing industry but they can afford to replace motors and or rebuild them.
Basically when you hear your washing machine bouncing around in the laundry room and you run in to fix your out of balanced load.
I have in the last 5 years reluctantly resorted to a polisher that was once show cased in the SEARS, Wards, and Penny's Christmas catalog circa 1960 in the children's toy section for polishing rocks.
I will soon give up my teddy bear, Operation game, Erector set and my Thumblers Tumbler Rock Polisher and opt for a Cement Mixer with a plastic drum (as Jack Stanley uses) pending more floor space.
For media I will be using the Stainless Steel media the fella here sells which I might add are the CORRECT!!! size and don't get stuck in the primer pocket flash holes. I wonder what that would do to a gun barrel......
Although I could order a dump truck load of 1" river rock for polishing and sell 25 cent stones to the tourists. <yawn>