PDA

View Full Version : Should I water quench?

12-20-2009, 03:42 PM
I have cast alot of the RCBS-44-250-K for use in my 44 mags and Specials with wheelweights and 2% tin added, and lubed with 50/50. They have performed great (minimal leading,accurate) at velocities up to 1100 fps in both calibers.

I would like to now push the bullets to maximum velocities in my Magnums. While I know that only experimentation will be the true test- I was wondering if the bullets should be water quenched in order to keep leading minimal. Hopefully others experiences can save me some time and precious lead!

RayinNH
12-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Personally, I don't think it is necessary as long as your boolit is 1-2 thousandths oversize. Try them both for leading and accuracy...Ray

Shiloh
12-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Size is king!!

I quench to add a bit of hardness. Mine fit the bore. 50/50 no leading at 1900 fps.

My pistol boolits are softer lead. I water drop everything. I saw a post on a casting forum that said if it isn't wet, it's hot. Now I know for sure.

Shiloh

Shiloh
12-20-2009, 04:00 PM
Size is king!!

I quench to add a bit of hardness. Mine fit the bore. 50/50 no leading at 1900 fps.

My pistol boolits are softer lead. I water drop everything. I saw a post on a casting forum that said if it isn't wet, it's hot. Now I know for sure.

Shiloh

runfiverun
12-20-2009, 04:07 PM
i use near the same alloy, and have pushed both my 44 and 45 over 1600 with 240 and 250 gr boolits.
just work up start with either 2400 or 296 if you have some aa-1680 thats definately worth looking at.
i once took my b.i.l. through a whole powder range work-up. started at clays powder went through unique, herco, 800-x.2400 and 110 to 1680.
just so he could learn something,about how powder rates and alloys react with each other.

jdgabbard
12-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I think quenching for the most part is overrated... I never quench, I always size accordingly, and I get little if any leading. And I only use straight WW alloy.

Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe its just a combo of my alloy, size, lube, and gun. But either way, I haven't found it to be any more beneficial then just dropping them on a towel...

Winger Ed.
12-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I was wondering if the bullets should be water quenched in order to keep leading minimal.

The smoothness of the barrel , alloy, lube, sizing dia. probably has more to due with accuracy and eliminating leading than if the bullets were quenced or not.

I quench because a 3/4 full 5 gallon bucket of water is a handy and convient place to drop them out of the mold. By filling the mold, cutting the sprue as I rotate 90 degrees or so, opening the handles, letting the bullet fall out, then closeing it as I rotate back to pour another is just a way for me to make more castings faster.

geargnasher
12-21-2009, 02:12 AM
Elmer did it with 11 bhn alloy. No leading at blistering velocities and marginal lube. Good accuracy too. His beloved 16:1 binary wouldn't have cared how it was cooled, anyway.

Gear

Recluse
12-21-2009, 02:41 AM
The boolits I cast that are destined for hot/fast-mover loads always get quenched. Always. And I do one more thing: As soon as they've dried, I size and lube them. As they get to their semi-final hardness, there is no more "working" them via the sizer or lubesizer. And finally, I make sure to use a proven lube.

Might be all in my head, but I rarely get leading.

:coffee: