PDA

View Full Version : Mobil 1

22Scadoo
12-20-2009, 01:32 AM
The use of Mobil 1 as a gun lubricant was brought up in a different thread, and instead of continuing the hyjack of the other thread I decided it best to post a new thread. What weight is most used and how well would it work as an oil for the barrels of rifles?

felix
12-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Chemically it would be fine for storage. I don't know about its water displacement capabilities, so I would douse the insides with WD40 before the Mobil One. ... felix

Recluse
12-20-2009, 01:39 AM
I use 15W50 (Mobil 1) as a lubricant, but ONLY for the moving/metal against metal parts in my guns. I DO NOT use it as a barrel lubricant.

:coffee:

Pat I.
12-20-2009, 01:56 AM
I use it on my AR15 bolt carrier group and charging handle and it works pretty good. Think I'd stick with regular gun oil and grease for anything else though.

XWrench3
12-20-2009, 09:10 AM
i use 0w40. i figure that when it is C O L D, i want it to flow well, so something like a fireing pin will still slide smoothly, and when it is HOT, if 40 weight won't protect it, i need to be using grease there anyway.

dubber123
12-20-2009, 09:58 AM
I have been using 0-w20, (the thin stuff), for several years now. I absolutely love it. It doesn't seem to evaporate over long term storage like common gun oils, and if you figure out the price of a 1 or 2 ounce bottle of gun oil Vs. a quart of Mobil 1, it's a bargain too.

I am in Vermont, and during one of our out door pistol shoots in some really lovely February weather, the only 2 pistols that would function were mine, and my brothers. They were the only 2 lubed with Mobil 1.

lwknight
12-20-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm not sure that the weight of M1 is important.
Its' best feature is that it stays where you put it.
Motor oils migrate toward heat.
Short of a machine gun, I can't imagine a gun getting hot evougfh to migrate the slide oil.
Glock owners swear it makes the slide feel like roller bearings.

Changeling
12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Why in the world don't you use a "Gun Oil", they are made for guns. Go to Walmart and get a can of CLP, one of the worlds greatest oils made for guns.

Char-Gar
12-20-2009, 02:18 PM
That may have been a thread I was involved with. I use Mobil Velocite No. 10 Spindle oil for general firearms lubricant and Mobil Vactra No. 2 Way oil for auto pistol raceways.

I buy both of these lube for about $15.00 a gallon from an industrial supply house and keep them on my lathe bench.

I have also found the Vactra No 2 Way Oil to be a good case lube.

In addition to lubrication on machine tools, these oils are also used to prevent rust from forming on these precision machines.

I have not tried to use this is barrels for rust prevention, but I would think the Way Oil would work well. It is designed to stick to curved and angled surfaces. That is why it works so well on autopistol moving surfaces. I keep the bolt of my Clark/Ruger MKII lightly lubed with it and it just runs, and runs, and runs, with zero problems from lack of lubrication. The lube is still there after weeks of use and thousands of rounds of ammo. Most often I clean and re-lube after each match, but if I don't no harm seems to follow.

For years I have used Ed's Red as a bore cleaner and a damp patch with Break Free to protect after it is clean. Ed's Red alone does a fare job of rust prevention.

I don't know if they are any better than other oils, but I have them and would have them even if they were not useful on firearms. It just happens they are. For me this is a tofer.

fecmech
12-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I shoot a Beretta 390 auto in sporting clays and am very lazy as far as cleaning my guns. The beretta will reliably go 2000 rds between cleanings and it lives in the trunk of my car in Buffalo NY.
I lube the bolt race ways and operating guide rods with Mobil 1 5 W-20 from what is left in the quarts after I change my oil. This time of year the gun is pretty well cold soaked when I shoot, and if the shell goes bang the gun feeds and ejects just like summertime. Whats not to like?

dubber123
12-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Why in the world don't you use a "Gun Oil", they are made for guns. Go to Walmart and get a can of CLP, one of the worlds greatest oils made for guns.

Because most gun oils are just low viscosity dinosaur oil. CLP may be good stuff, but I cannot imagine it's any better than Mobil 1. I'm pretty sure you won't get a full QUART of CLP for $6 either. I've pulled guns out of the safe that I haven't seen in over a year, and they still have the light film of Mobil 1 that they got stored with.

Winger Ed.
12-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Any oil will work if you use it.

After using bore cleaner on the inside of the barrel and flushing out the trigger group with WD-40,
I wipe them down and pull a oiled patch through the barrel with the same oil I use in the car & truck.
I've done that since the 1960's, and they seem to store & work well that way.

Before being fired again, the bore does need to be cleaned out with bore cleaner,
and the outside wiped with a clean WD-40ed rag.

I figure:
If a quality motor oil will work well in a car engine for a few- or even several thousand miles,
I'd think it could handle whatever a firearm asks of it for a few shots or storage in a safe.

mastercast.com
12-21-2009, 02:42 AM
There is a new lube for firearms out there...it is called "NANOLUBE" and has "Nano" particles of diamond in it.

I am using it here..incredibably slick when used on the rails and slide of a semi-auto pistol, and other moving parts of a firearm.

The diamond particles embed in any small imperfection in the metal of the gun, and after adequate treatment, no further lube with that stuff is required...normal oil works just fine.

Expensive? YOU BETCHA. I will let you find out how expensive it is.

mastercast.com
12-21-2009, 02:52 AM
Mobil 1?

Yes, I use it here for firearms. Great stuff!

About two years ago, I carried a Kel-Tec .32 as a B.U.G. in the right front trouser pocket. It was summer time, and I sweat like a "Big Hog" in heat!

The part of the slide that came in contact with my leg started to rust...after an application of Mobile 1, the rust was absolutely stopped, and you have to have magnification to see that it was there.

jameslovesjammie
12-21-2009, 03:24 AM
i use 0w40. i figure that when it is C O L D, i want it to flow well, so something like a fireing pin will still slide smoothly, and when it is HOT, if 40 weight won't protect it, i need to be using grease there anyway.

Same one I'm using. I think the 0W-40 is designed for some European cars, IIRC. Sure does make the action nice when coyote hunting!

StarMetal
12-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure that the weight of M1 is important.
Its' best feature is that it stays where you put it.
Motor oils migrate toward heat.
Short of a machine gun, I can't imagine a gun getting hot evougfh to migrate the slide oil.
Glock owners swear it makes the slide feel like roller bearings.

Unless they've really engineered motor oil, most oils flow away from heat. To name one oil that flows towards heat...that would be Castor oil.

Joe

Shooter6br
12-21-2009, 12:08 PM
May be a good lube but it is not a good rust preventative in my experience

rummy64
12-21-2009, 12:33 PM
This is good to know! Being a synthetic oil that is kinda "stickey", I would guess that it would be good for long term storage. Some of my guns are keepsakes, meaning they have some meaning, or memory to me, but never get shot anymore. This might be a good choice for long storage time. Everyone in my house complains about the smell of the stuff I've been using to clean my guns with (can't remember the name of it). Using the mobil 1 might prevent some wrinkled noses and dirty looks! It could also be used during deer season, without worrying
about the deer smelling it.

Mk42gunner
12-22-2009, 03:54 AM

Changeling,
I'll have to disagree on this. In my experience CLP is only fair, we used to get gallons of it through the supply system.

As a cleaner it will work, if you want to clean the gun two days in a row, to let it float out the carbon. I found this out checking .45's the day after range quals, during a PMS Spot-check, luckily the Chief that was checking me had common sense.

As a lubricant, LSA always worked better for me on moving parts, especially 1911 slides and Browning machine guns.

As a Preservative, it would dry out and gum up within a month, leaving a varnish like coating on the metal.

It will work well as a bore cleaner if you punch the bore with a wet patch and let it set overnight, then clean the next morning. I just cleaned way to many guns in the Navy to want to have to wait to get one clean. I use Ed's Red on my own guns now, it works well and is inexpensive.

Robert

sundog
12-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I first saw CLP in the Army in the mid to late 70s. As an issue item, it did okay, but what Mk42gunner said is right. Weapons needed to be recleaned. As a lubricant, there is other stuff that is better.

If you have to buy the stuff, there are plenty of other products better. For storage, there are other products that are better.