PDA

View Full Version : Advise me on lubes......

Carteach0
05-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Ok, I know this has probably been done to death 100 times over, but I'm a newbie with a lubersizer.

Just got a used Lyman 450 and downloaded the instructions. I have one
.429 die and one top punch that ALMOST fits the 240 grain Lee Keith style .429 bullet I use in my various .44's.

Now I need to learn about lubes that will work in this thing.....

I will start with the .429 because thats what I have. What I really wanted
this rig for was rifle bullets, and have cast up a few hundred .312 for
my Enfield while waiting for it. So..... also need advice on moderate velocity rifle lube.

I'd rather stay with bought sticks right now, for convenience. I see several
sellers on E-bay.... comments on their stuff?

Also.... I don't have a heater right now but will probably rig a heat lamp
for short term. Thoughts?

Please... no making fun of the new guy..... unless It's a really good.

Will
05-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I've got an old Lyman45 that I've used for many years and never had a heater. On cold days I just shine my work bench flood light an the base of it for a few minutes and go to work. Be careful of the stuff on e-bay some advertise as a brand name but it will be some home made stuff.
I perfer the NRA alox blend but everyone has their own ideas. The alox blend is soft and gets all over everything but I never get any leading.

Bucks Owin
05-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Ok, I know this has probably been done to death 100 times over, but I'm a newbie with a lubersizer.

Just got a used Lyman 450 and downloaded the instructions. I have one
.429 die and one top punch that ALMOST fits the 240 grain Lee Keith style .429 bullet I use in my various .44's.

If your punch fits so badly that it is actually damaging the bullet you can possibly make your top punch fit better with some JB Weld. Put a dab in the punch and run it down on the boolit nose and let set. Be careful that the only CLEAN metal is the inside of the top punch, all the lube everywhere else will keep the JB from gluing the whole works together.....(Hopefully! :-D ....be careful)

Another alternative if the bullet has a big flat meplat is to just gring down around the head of a 1/4" bolt and cut it off to use as a top punch....

It'll keep ya going until you get the right punch....

FWIW,

Dennis

44man
05-22-2006, 05:28 PM
You did not mention what gun those boolits will be shot from! .429 sounds too small and I would not even size them, load as cast. I use a .431 sizer for mine to lube so I do not size the boolit. You might want to lap the die out.
Slug the bores and throats to see what size boolits you need for each gun. The boolits should be a push fit in the throats. As long as a case with an unsized boolit will chamber it is good to go.
As far as lube goes, there is none better then Felix. It is easy and cheap to make. The only suggestion I have is to shoot test groups with all the lubes you have to see what groups best and does not lead. That can get expensive so your best bet is to just start making Felix. You can play with it to make soft or harder lubes but I like the soft for most everything.
There are a few here that sell lube that is 100% better then factory stuff too.
You can learn a tremendous amount from just going back through all the postings. Sit and read for a few hours.

lovedogs
05-22-2006, 05:53 PM
You might want to take a look at www.lsstuff.com/lube I'm very satisfied with Glenn's lubes. He's great to do business with and I doubt you can make your own any better or cheaper. Otherwise, there are lots of lube formulas on this forum you can try. Good luck.

David R
05-22-2006, 06:09 PM
You might want to take a look at www.lsstuff.com/lube I'm very satisfied with Glenn's lubes. He's great to do business with and I doubt you can make your own any better or cheaper. Otherwise, there are lots of lube formulas on this forum you can try. Good luck.

Ditto. All I use is his lube.

DEVERS454
05-22-2006, 11:15 PM
The guy who goes by Jake's recommends his Moly for handgun boolits and purple for rifle.

Its good stuff and not too sticky, plus, the price is about 1/2 what other lubes will run you.

I have 2 pounds of Felix lube. 1 pound is colored deep blue, the other a dark brown. When that stuff runs out, I might whip up another batch. Probably green this time... ;)

Bucks Owin
05-24-2006, 05:22 PM

AMEN to that brother!
See my thread entitled "Carnuba Red...WOW!)

FWIW,

Dennis