PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for buyin a new chronograph?

kingstrider
12-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I've been thinking a chronograph might be useful when working up my handloads. I have never had nor used one but do realize the benefits of having one and would prefer to have one where the "brains" of the unit come out and sit on the bench so they won't get shot. I would also prefer something that is compatible with a laptop (preferably a Mac but I also have a PC so this is not critical). Suggestions?

Mk42gunner
12-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I have one of the early Chrony's, it had the pressed paper for the sighting lines; at least until my buddy shot a .257 Wby through it and the gas blew the paper away. I bought mine used, or I wouldn't have the brains in front of the firing line.

They are a great help in working up loads, if only to ensure that you are at least in the same ballpark as you should be.

I really don't know what is available right now, but like anything electronic; the prices come down after the new wears off. I really wish I only had skyscreens out front.

Robert

376Steyr
12-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Try Pact.com. I have the cheap Model 1, and have been happy with it. And I've shot through a set of screens without being bankrupted.

legend
12-20-2009, 05:04 AM
plexaglas helps if you get one with display on unit...trust me on this.

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Im using a pact now. I went through two chronys and niether gave reliable readings. The pact seems good so far but its a battery eating sob. I think its the printer that sucks up the batterys.

rob45
12-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Can't go wrong with one of these:
http://www.cedhk.com/shop/products/CED-M2-Chronograph-Set.html

An absolute bargain considering the capabilities.

dragonrider
12-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Another Pact user here, first model bought it new and it has been reliable ever since. I shot several sets of screen but as mentioned above you won't go broke getting another set.
My buddy shot out the first set, his first shot over a chrono, dead center on the little black box that houses the sensors. You should have seen his face it was so funny, he was so upset.

bigboredad
12-20-2009, 04:55 PM
I have used a chrony beta master for the last 8 years and have been happy with it

jameslovesjammie
12-20-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm getting a Chronograph after Christmas time. (I asked for gift cards just for this purpose). I have been looking for a few years at different models. The CED Millenium 2 is hands down the best chronograph on the market.

For $200, you get a chronograph that will sync with a PC (or Mac), record velocities from 50 to 7,000 fps, calculate powerfactor, record in fps or mps, record shotgun and bow velocities, and has a huge display with a 20 foot cord.

For another $100, you get the infrared skyscreens that take away any variables due to lighting/clouds.

Tazman1602
12-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Shooting Chrony or Pact one of the two. I've had a gamma master for about ten years, didn't work right out of the box, sat on the shelf for four years and I got upset, called Chrony and they said send it back. Two weeks later a BRAND NEW unit showed up at the house with a note apologizing for my troubles. Has worked consistently ever since with no issues....

Art

Firebricker
12-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I like my pact. FB

1hole
12-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I've had a PACT Pro for well over 15 years with no problems.

The built-in thermal printer does burn batteries but that's to be expected. Don't do a lot of printing and the batteries last a long time. I just take an extra 9v with me to the range, no big problem. I do love having the printer so I can provide hard copy data at the range. If a buddy wants his velocity and trajectory print out I can give it to him there, not at home after transfering a dump to my computer.

The internal computer's push button inputs are fairly intuitive to use after a little bit of practice but it computes far too many things to be really simple to program some of the stuff it can do (keep the instruction manual!). I also love the computer's ability to let me load specifics of speed, BC, cross wind, temp, altitude, humidity, scope height and print a ballistic drop and deflection chart for as far as I want it, in any incremential steps I want.

If I ever shoot the screens (not yet), they are among the least costly to replace.

Don't know how the well respected CED M2 compares but I have no reason to wish for anything different. And, in real terms, the current PACT prices are significatly less than when I got mine!

rickster
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
The new (green) Chronies are better than the old (red) ones. Very reliable in almost any light. But they still dont know how to duck.

jbunny
12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
mine ducks all the time. hehehe
jb

Shiloh
12-21-2009, 11:25 AM
I have one of the blue Chrony's. The Beta I beleive. Works great. Traded a shot red one for the 10% directly from Chrony.

Shiloh

kingstrider
12-21-2009, 08:24 PM
I'm getting a Chronograph after Christmas time. (I asked for gift cards just for this purpose). I have been looking for a few years at different models. The CED Millenium 2 is hands down the best chronograph on the market.

For $200, you get a chronograph that will sync with a PC (or Mac), record velocities from 50 to 7,000 fps, calculate powerfactor, record in fps or mps, record shotgun and bow velocities, and has a huge display with a 20 foot cord.

For another $100, you get the infrared skyscreens that take away any variables due to lighting/clouds.

Interesting, do you have a link to this? I'm definitely interested if it will work with my Macbook

Edubya
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I've got a green "Chrony". I use mine when developing loads and once in a while, jus' cuz'. I like having a simple one and the display on the extension cord (telephone cord) allows me to see immediate results. I can write this down or just muse the thought. I do record when I'm developing. There are better ones but for my use, this one is fine. I think that it cost $89.00.
EW

Westwindmike
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I just ordered the green Chrony from Midway. It's just left Memphis enroute to Murfreesboro. Hope it works well.

Does anyone have any pictures of how you "bullet proofed" your Chrony?

rickster
12-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Putting a piece of plexiglass in front of the readout will keep unburnt powder from pinging the readout. But when it comes down to it, they are so cheap that no more often than you shoot one, it really doesn't matter (once you get over being mad at yourself). I have shot over them for about 20years. The first one wore out after thousands of rounds and about 15 yrs. I shot the second one within a few months (grrr). The third is still going strong.

Gunfixer
12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Interesting, do you have a link to this? I'm definitely interested if it will work with my Macbook

www.cedhk.com

I have had one for 10 years and its only on its third 9v battery. Very simple and I agree the most "bang for your buck
You can get units and parts from Grafs

jameslovesjammie
12-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Gunfixer sent a link to the website, just click on "Shooting Electronics" and then "CED Chronographs and Accessories."

If you want to look at the manual before you decide on one, you can download it here: http://www.cedhk.com/shop/product_attachments/CEDM2ManLayout.pdf

AZ-Stew
12-22-2009, 10:55 PM
The CHRONY Gamma Master comes with a printer and the "brains" (display and computer) can be placed on the bench with a cable going to the sky screens. You can order a cable that will connect to your computer and they sell a ballistics software program that will accept the data and plot trajectory curves.

The best "bullet proofing" for any chronograph is to ALWAYS shoot from a front and rear rest and be sure to look downrange along the SIDE of the barrel before shooting to be sure the barrel is aligned above the screens. Once I learned that lesson I haven't shot any part of my chrono in over 10 years. No Lexan required.

Regards,

Stew

softpoint
12-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I am getting a CED for Christmas, with infrared screens, to replace a much used Oehler. BTW, the Oehler with the printer is a battery hog, too. Good chrono, but no longer available, anyway not the model I have.:neutral:

Xcaliber
12-23-2009, 03:15 AM
I have an Oehler model 35-p that has been used since 1997. Last year I checked it and the printer still worked on it. I kept it in a special made gun case cut out to fit it in. I called Oehler to find out how long this models printer would keep on working, They said they no longer make these models including the 43 because they suspended the production of them. He said and they have their site,...that they still service the older models , just not make them anymore. He went on to say that a printer might produce 10 + yrs or more if not exposed to varing degrees of temperature. I haven't had the need to use it this year so for now...I don't know if my printer works till i check it again this new year coming.

Westwindmike
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, my Chrony F1 came last night on UPS. Couldn't wait till morning so set it up in the garage and shot my Gamo Big Cat pellet rifle through it. Works great! Those pellets were averaging 925 fps. Now just have to make me a remote switch for it. Chrony gets $16 for one and I can make it for about $2.

Wayne Smith
12-23-2009, 02:14 PM
I've had the CED Millenium for over 5 years. Got the infared screens, too. Put a shot through the wiring on those, re-wired it, then destroyed one of the uprights, wiring and all. Haven't needed that ability after all, there is enough light under the roof of the range for it to work anyway. The range is roofed maybe 20 feet past the firing line.