PDA

View Full Version : Importing ammunition

Deliverator
12-19-2009, 03:10 PM
So I have a question. What do you guys know about the importation of ammunition? I have a B-line on a large quantity of 7.62x39 that I could conceivably import for far below standard retail price... but I don't know what laws and/or paperwork I would have to file to do so.

MT Gianni
12-19-2009, 05:18 PM
I would ask BATF from a pay phone if you can still find one and give no name but ask questions on how to apply for proper permits.

C1PNR
12-19-2009, 05:19 PM
That's a good question. I don't know if we have any FFL holders that are also importers as part of our community.

I've participated in several international buys of C&R firearms and they always went through an FFL holder who knew the ins and outs of the paperwork and he also worked with an overseas exporter. There is a LOT of paperwork. It's not something that is accomplished overnight.

One of our buys was large enough that Customs rerouted everything through a regional (Chicago, I think) hub to ensure it wasn't an illegal transaction. Held things up for quite a while and cost extra for legal help in Chicago.

runfiverun
12-19-2009, 08:07 PM
the cheaper x39 stuff isn't so cheap any more since the ban on importing it.
brady bill iirc.

jdgabbard
12-20-2009, 05:32 AM
brady bill iirc.

I've never heard of a ban on x39. We still see cases of Wolf being offered at every gun show and in every shotgun news. To my knowledge it, nor any other conventional ammunition has been banned. You're probably thinking of the barrel ban, which kept the AK parts kits from being imported. 7.62x39 ammo is readily available. It only costs more now because they figured out the idiots would pay $300+ for a case of it, when they used to give it away for $29 a case...

:killingpc

Johnch
12-20-2009, 11:22 AM
brady bill iirc.

Just the stuff from China has the import ban

John

runfiverun
12-20-2009, 03:59 PM
we can borrow their money but thier cheap ammo we can't have.
says something right there.
used to buy x39 for what 50 sumthin for 600 rd packs.

Hip's Ax
12-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Back several years ago when our favorite smallbore match ammo was hard to find in the US my friends and I imported 20 cases from England and used a place called Accuracy International in TN as the importer. I THINK its a form 6 that needs to be filed and of course theres customs fees and taxes and whatever but we wound up with awesome stuff for an awesome price.

A few years ago I and a friend had a wild hare to get a few thousand pieces of IVI 303 British and the company in Canada insisted on a form 6 even though thats not required for empty brass. I looked into it, had the BATF mail me one of the forms (MAN, that took MONTHS!! to show up via snail mail) but I also searched AI in TN and called them. VERY nice guys who were more than willing to do the paperwork for, at that time, $75. BTW, we never went through with it, our interest waned before anything was sealed.

Deliverator
12-20-2009, 09:26 PM
Cool, does anyone happen to have first hand connections with an importer who wouldn't mind possibly filling out paperwork?

runfiverun
12-21-2009, 12:12 AM
believe it or not junior does but he is mad at the sight, i think he is on campfire right these days.