PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Ammunition

JohnH
05-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Is shipping ammunition between individuals kosher???

garandsrus
05-21-2006, 10:54 PM
John H,

I have received ammo from another individual with no problem. It was packed in a GI Ammo Can! I don't remember which shipper was used.

If you search the shipping sites you will probably find a specific note about shipping ammo.

John

Frank46
05-22-2006, 03:31 AM
John, I just went through this with ups. Box has to be labeled "cartridges small arms" and the letters orm-d placed within a rectangle. I had to check with ups about this as I have never shipped ammo before. Other than that no problems. Maybe its different when dealers ship ammo as I once ordered about 900rds south african 308 and it came in the military can. Frank

kywoodwrkr
05-22-2006, 04:40 PM
UPS required a label on the box which has an outline around the large characters ORMD.
I use EXCEL to create this label.
Note of small arms ammunition was not required when I shipped mine last month.
Address label and ORMD label that's all.
I shipped from a UPS customer counter so they were actually knowledgeable about what theyw ere doing.
Not like some of the store fronts.
FWIW
DaveP

JohnH
05-22-2006, 09:11 PM
There's no HazMat involved?

klausg
05-22-2006, 09:23 PM
JohnH- that's what the ORM-D is; it's been a long time since I was HAZMAT qualified, so bear with me. The ORM-D basically means that the amount of HAZMAT is small enough per unit of containment, i.e. you may have a pound of powder, but it's contained in a whole bunch of brass cartridges; hence no placards/labels. There is an amount limit for ORM-D, not sure what it is and those change like every quarter or so. Bottom line is check w/ UPS or whomever is shipping on max amounts.

-SSG Klaus

DLCTEX
03-27-2013, 08:31 PM
New United Nations label is replacing ORMD label, but ORMD label can be used until Dec.31 2020. The UN one does not have to say small arms ammunition. http://www.type03.net/ammo/limitedquantity.pdf

shooterg
03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
!@#$%^&*United Nations. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Bad Water Bill
03-27-2013, 10:52 PM
!@#$%^&*United Nations. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

When and where did the U N get the power,authority to impose their WISHES on the American free market system?

DCM
03-27-2013, 11:13 PM
John, I just went through this with ups. Box has to be labeled "cartridges small arms" and the letters orm-d placed within a rectangle. I had to check with ups about this as I have never shipped ammo before. Other than that no problems. Maybe its different when dealers ship ammo as I once ordered about 900rds south african 308 and it came in the military can. Frank

I very recently did this too.
That is Exactly the label they need. (3"X5") on the side of the box.
It must be shipped by ground in the continuous US only, be tightly packed and not exceed 66Lbs.
There is no Haz-Mat fee for loaded ammo.
Fed-Ex won't do it anymore, USPS has never allowed it.

Ammo between most individuals is not usually a problem, Some areas folks need a "permit" of sorts to buy ammo though.

Phoenix
03-28-2013, 12:19 AM
When and where did the U N get the power,authority to impose their WISHES on the American free market system?

They didn't Impose it on us. We willingly signed a treaty quite a long time ago. All forms of shipping have slowly been moving to UN standardized signage. With all the international shipping going on now the UN got involved to standardize things. It is far from all good, but some isnt so bad. except for the source.

Dutchman
03-28-2013, 05:19 AM
From UPS Policy:
Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. § 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. § 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

49 CFR 173.59:

Cartridges, small arms. Ammunition consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a center or rim fire primer and containing both a propelling charge and solid projectile(s). They are designed to be fired in weapons of caliber not larger than 19.1 mm. Shotgun cartridges of any caliber are included in this description. The term excludes: Cartridges, small arms, blank, and some military small arms cartridges listed under Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION

CHAPTER I--RESEARCH AND SPECIAL PROGRAMS ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF
TRANSPORTATION

PART 173_SHIPPERS_GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SHIPMENTS AND PACKAGINGS--Table of Contents

Subpart D_Definitions Classification, Packing Group Assignments and
Exceptions for Hazardous Materials Other Than Class 1 and Class 7

Sec. 173.144 Other Regulated Materials (ORM)--Definitions.

For the purpose of this subchapter, ``ORM-D material'' means a
material such as a consumer commodity, which, although otherwise subject
to the regulations of this subchapter, presents a limited hazard during
transportation due to its form, quantity and packaging. It must be a
material for which exceptions are provided in the Sec. 172.101 table.
Each ORM-D material and category of ORM-D material is listed in the
Sec. 172.101 table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

49 CFR 172.101 list of ORM-D:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2002/octqtr/49cfr172.101.htm

(page 145 D) cartridges, small arms

packaging requirement : ORM-D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

49 CFR 172
(c) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering
the packaging for transportation that the material is properly
described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and
in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable
regulations of this subchapter. This form of certification does not
preclude the requirement for a certificate on a shipping paper when
required by subpart C of this part.

[/end]

sparkz
03-28-2013, 06:31 AM
you can do it your self now,, your the Hazmat guy,,
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=432303

need to take test and print it out for UPS and Fed-x

Patrick

Adam10mm
03-29-2013, 02:28 AM
I've been working with USPS and the flat rate box situation for ammo shipments to help remedy their situation. Trying to work with politicians to allow ammo to ship in "secure containers" in USPS flat rate boxes. Trying to define "secure containers" as a container that prevents the primer from being struck by another cartridge during travel or shipment" to include bulk pack ammo secured so there is no movement between cartridges.