PDA

View Full Version : Crow mmmmm good

High Desert Hunter
05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Took the Springfield Armory 1911A1 out again, had 100 rounds of 200gr SWC loaded up, and about 50 rounds of 230gr FMJ. Well I borrowed a good rest, low and behold the 230s shot about 1" high at 25, and the 200 were dead center. The only thing that was different was the load, I backed off a full grain of Unique. Robert, you were right, I need to shoot this one a little more before I make any drastic changes. I may know a good deal about single action sixshooters, but these bottom feeders are a huge change for me. I also learned that a very firm grip all the way through reoil is necessary for proper operation of the 1911, once I figured this out, I had no more failures to eject on the last round. This Lee 6 cavity mould impresses me more everytime I cast with it, the bullets made one big hole at 25 yards, I even managed to hit a piece of rebar at 50 yards with one shot, out of a 7 round mag. I will say this, jacks hit with the lighter SWC react much more than when hit with hardball, SWC schwacks'em, the FMJ some of them will take off after a good hit, head shots of course end the fight, didn't get a shot at any over about 35 yards. I am going to shop around and see if there are any other Lee 6 Cavity moulds I can use. Scored 3 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights for $20 a bucket, and a half of one for free. The 44 with the 429421 performed with it's boring regularity, all shots in one big hole, the 45 Colt was not quite as consistent, but it was a new load, this was with the 270SAA.

Dave

Leftoverdj
05-22-2006, 08:47 AM
This Lee 6 cavity mould impresses me more everytime I cast with it,

I am going to shop around and see if there are any other Lee 6 Cavity moulds I can use.

Dave

This is a very normal reaction to the Lee 6 Cavity moulds. Watch the group buys. They are even better than the production moulds. Typically, they are speced fatter, cut to tighter tolerances because the runs are short, and better designed because they are the consensus of a dozen or more very experienced cast bullet shooters.