PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Lyman die retaining nut

marks40x
12-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Whenever changing the sizing die on my 4500 sizer reinstalling the retaining nut has been a pain. Never wants to start straight. Finally found a solution that makes it a few second job. When installing the die I use the ram with no top punch installed to bottom the die in the sizer. Then set the nut on top of the die and push into place by hand to center. Then put the wrench over the nut and bring the ram down and put some pressure on the nut. Doesn't take much pressure. The trick is to turn the nut backwards until you feel it drop into the threads on the sizer. You may need to go a 1/4 to a full turn depending where the threads line up. Then start the nut in the normal direction with light pressure on the ram. You will have to bend the tab on the wrench out of the way so it will clear the ram. I have changed out my sizer die about 50 times and it has worked every time with no damage to the threads.

madcaster
12-19-2009, 01:55 AM
That is a great tip,any newcomers will have an easier time with it now,thank you.:drinks:

dromia
12-19-2009, 02:44 AM
I drop a 1p on the nut and then bring the ram down on it saves changing out the top punch.

Mk42gunner
12-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Backing the threads until you feel them engage is how the Navy teaches you to put firehoses together.

I use much the same procedure on my RCBS Lubamatic.

Robert

Shiloh
12-23-2009, 10:47 AM
I drop a 1p on the nut and then bring the ram down on it saves changing out the top punch.

Backing the threads until you feel them engage is how the Navy teaches you to put firehoses together.

I use much the same procedure on my RCBS Lubamatic.

Robert

I use both methods.

They're easy to cross thread. Be patient!! I have a couple of spares as well. Had them a long time. Patience!

Shiloh