PDA

View Full Version : Looking for source of stock blanks

280Ackley
12-18-2009, 08:42 PM
It looks like it may be a long cold winter and I am thinking of indoor projects. I have a couple of rifles that could be restocked. I would like to put a Mannlicher stock on a 98 Mauser with a light weight barrel. It currently has a boyd thumbhole that I don’t really like. The other is a 91 Argentine with a cutdown military stock that needs to be refinished or replaced. I could use some information on good places to get a semi inleted blank to start with.

c3d4b2
12-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Here are a couple

http://www.hunterbid.com/chiron.asp

http://www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com/stocks.htm

Char-Gar
12-18-2009, 10:50 PM
There is no end of disagreement about Great American Gunstock Company. Some folks have no use for them and feel they are rip off artists. I have bought three stocks from them and have been more or less satisfied with all three. I have two issues with the company.

1. The delivery time was about double the promised time.
2. Their machine inletting is crude at best.

The inletting will require more work, but for me that is not a deal breaker, just a nusance. They do offer a wide variety of wood and stock design.

I am not vouching for the company, just relating my own experience. If I needed another stock, I would order from them if they had what I wanted and nobody else did. I would however cross my fingers and wish on a star the whole time I was waiting.

Buckshot
12-19-2009, 04:26 AM
There is no end of disagreement about Great American Gunstock Company. Some folks have no use for them and feel they are rip off artists. I have bought three stocks from them and have been more or less satisfied with all three. I have two issues with the company.

The inletting will require more work, but for me that is not a deal breaker, just a nusance. They do offer a wide variety of wood and stock design.

I am not vouching for the company, just relating my own experience. If I needed another stock, I would order from them if they had what I wanted and nobody else did. I would however cross my fingers and wish on a star the whole time I was waiting.

............I'm one of the ones who wouldn't order anything from Great American even if I was only looking for firewood.

..............Buckshot

Just Duke
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Here's another great fire wood maker http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

280Ackley
12-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Duke I gather from your post that you have done business with them and it was not a good experience?

Just Duke
12-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Duke I gather from your post that you have done business with them and it was not a good experience?

Do a google search and you will find a plethora of comments about them. The oldman the owned it did a real good when he was around. He bought a bunch of property in N Hollywood and left it to his kids which they sold it off and made bank. They have run a perfectly good business into the ground. It's just a place for the rich kids kids hangout now. :evil:
Oh! and just try to get a return call from them. lol

Beekeeper
12-20-2009, 11:00 AM
280ackley,
I have never bought one from them but Duncans Gun Works in Escondido Ca has stock blanks(just the wood no preforming).
Some of them date back as much as 60 years
The owners grand father started the collection of blanks and they keep adding to it.
Got to peek at them once but couldn't afford one so left a little dejected.
They aren't cheap but sure are beautiful

Jim

smokemjoe
12-20-2009, 12:10 PM
I got a block of butternut,

HeavyMetal
12-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Duke:
You hit the nail on the head with Richards Micro Fit!

In the 70's I did some business with the original owner, at that time he would make stocks for anything if you had an original stock to use as a templete for the new stock.

My mom has a "custom" thumbhole stock on her old Bolt action 12 guage stevens! Gun was bought for $25 at a yard sale stock cost me $90 and I had it in 10 weeks as promised.

The fact that I was working in the area a lot, and still do, made it easy for me to do business with them.

Now they only do bolt guns and Ruger 22 stocks. Attitude was a little stiff the last time I dropped in but waving a hundy around got them to be polite!

Really wanted a custom stock for my Ruger number one, they won't do it. I have done other stocks with them but if I wasn't able to drive by the place to make sure they knew I knew where they lived I wouldn't spend another dime here!

They really want to be a mail order house that ships from stock and plain jane wood and multi colored laminates are the order of the day.

What I will give them is the laminates look great!

280Ackley
12-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I got a block of butternut,

I don't have the necessary skills, tools or patience to work from a raw block, however if you would be willing to inlet the action for me send me a pm and maybe we can work something out.

Char-Gar
12-20-2009, 03:14 PM
ACKLEY280

I year or two ago I bought a great piece of feather crotch American Walnut from Smokemjoe. It was a fine piece of wood at a more than fair price.

It is sitting in the rack now looking at me. I have a good double heated treated 03 action at Shaws now being fitted with a good 24" 1-12 twist barrel in 30-06. It should be ready any time now.

When it gets here, I will make the sign of the cross and try to make my first stock from a raw blank. I have stocked a dozen or more rifles from semi-inletted blanks and everything has come out well. Time to go to the big league.

Char-Gar
12-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Buckshot.. You opinion of Great American Gunstocks is shared by many others. I have to go on my experience and that is what I related. They would be at the bottom of my list.