PDA

View Full Version : Lee sizers?

mecoastie
05-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Are the Lee sizers any good? I currently have an RCBS lube sizer but it seems that the Lee rigs are much easier to use. How well do they set gas checks? Any good for rifle? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scrounger
05-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Are the Lee sizers any good? I currently have an RCBS lube sizer but it seems that the Lee rigs are much easier to use. How well do they set gas checks? Any good for rifle? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You're right on all counts. They're easier and faster to use. They are cheaper and can be had in any custom size you want for $25, standard sizes available over the counter cost about $15. The seat gas checks easily and well, they work on rifle and pistol bullets. The Liquid Alox on the bullets is messy until it dries hard. There are ways to alleviate that, like cutting the Alox with mineral spirits or wiping down the nose of the bullet after loading. Too many people forgot why people started casting the first place; Simply to get bullets to shoot in their gun. Now there is also a big cost advantage also. Too many people never get into casting because they think they need a $50 to $200 melting pot, dozens of $20 sizing dies, and every mold that ever existed. Not true at all. Lead can be melted in an old cast iron skillet and sized in your inexpensive $15 Lee Bullet Sizer. And don't forget that in a lot of cases they do not need to be sized at all, just lube them and let the barrel do the sizing. And you don't need 100 molds. Many standard Lyman, RCBS, and Saeco molds have been in common usage for 60 to 80 years, satisfying thousands of users. With judicious buying and scrounging, for less than $100 you can come up with a couple of used molds (personally, I wouldn't buy Lee molds), a couple of sizers, some gas checks if needed, and a cast iron pot from WalMart if you can't scrounge one free. Your equiptment will last as long as you choose to use it. Maybe later you'll decide to by a Lyman or RCBS Lubrisizer just because all the other kids have one, or buy another (and another and another) mold, because it looks good to you or, once again, the other kids have lots of molds. My method was to buy a mold because it filled the weight/shape numbers I was looking for; tried it; if it worked good, I kept it, end of search; if it didn't work well in my gun, I sold it and tried another, till I found one that did. Never figured I was smart enough to design one, some really smart people been designing them for a hundred years. Proof that they knew what were doing is that some of those designs have been satisfying people 20, 40, 80 years. Always remember it ain't rocket science. Keep it simple and good luck.

Ranch Dog
05-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Well said Scrounger!

357tex
05-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Scrounger
Followed the same p;an for the last 35 years.I thought I was cheap,now I understand I was smart![smilie=w:

Swagerman
05-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I've got the Lee sizers in .429, .430, .452, and .454, they are really good.

Jim

versifier
05-22-2006, 12:33 AM
And if you need custom sizes, Buckshot makes them better quality than Lee and the cost is <$20 shipped.