PDA

View Full Version : Powder charge

dnorris
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
I was told 77 Grains of 777 equals about 100 grains of regular powder. If I was useing 777 and wanted to shoot a regular 80 grain powder charge, wouldn't I need about 65 grains of 777 ? I just want to make sure.

wheezengeezer
12-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Set your BP measure to 80 and fill it up.Go by volume.If you want trhe weight it throws I can do that for you when I get home.

saz
12-23-2009, 02:39 AM
You are correct. 777 is about 15% hotter than straight black. I have made the mistake of starting off too hot with the 777 while working up loads- conicals in perticular- but when i back it off some more, voila! Groups usually tighten right up.
For example, my hunting load for moose or bear is 80gr 777 under a 495gr conical- if I use 2F black it will shoot 105gr to the same POA/POI.

R.M.
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Yup, like wheeze says, volume, not weight. When you're playing with front-stuffers, throw your scale in the cupboard and leave it there.

Willbird
12-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Yup, like wheeze says, volume, not weight. When you're playing with front-stuffers, throw your scale in the cupboard and leave it there.

Actually I still use the scale and the powder measure, BUT I throw a load in the scale pan from a volumetric measure first, then set the powder measure up to throw that weight.

My Uniflow works great with BH209 powder, throws charges within a few .1 of a grain every time.

Bill

R.M.
12-24-2009, 01:09 PM
The scale should be put away like I said before. Volume is what you're after, and what the manufacturer produces it to. From can to can, the volume will produce the same results, but the density could vary, giving you different result. I doubt the difference would create any hazard, but if you get into the habit of using volume only, I think your end result will end up being more consistent.

Underclocked
12-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't. Weighing will aid in accuracy. The method Willbird uses is fine. For each jug or can of powder, do a base measurement using a volumetric charge, then weigh each charge to equal that base measurement. The key thing here is to make that determination for EACH container of powder, and it doesn't hurt to keep the powder mixed up in the container by shaking before weighing. Some powders vary a great deal in energy content from the top of the jug to the bottom due to the fines.

You could expect a 100 grain VOLUMETRIC charge of TripleSe7en FFg to weigh from 77 to 80 grains on a scale. Be aware that each jug of powder and grade will have its own relationship of volume to scale weight.

Blackhorn meters and measures very well volumetrically, as Willbird stated, his Uniflow throws nearly the same charge every time. In the case of Blackhorn, weighing is actually less beneficial than with some of the other powders due to its consistency.

But their is nothing wrong with using volumetric measure only. You just won't get the same degree of consistency, which may or may not be important to you. Weighing charges of powder X in your particular rifle may prove to be a waste of time so far as hunting loads, especially if you are very consistent in using your volumetric measure.

Willbird
12-24-2009, 10:33 PM
The volumetric method might be fine well and good....but using say a Lyman 55, or a Belding and Mull (or even my uniflow) to throw your volumetric charges will be a lot more consistent than maybe some of the bp meaures that use the funnel to knock the powder charge off level.

I have two different ones, one is brass, the other is plastic, and they differ from each other about 3 grains.....

BR shooters often load strictly by volume ( they will say something like "I'm loading 33 clicks on a culver measure") and may never even know the weight of their powder charges.............

Bill