PDA

View Full Version : 20lb RCBS

cdupuy
12-17-2009, 11:48 PM
Gentlemen: where is the best price on the RCBS Promelt, quit casting about 25 years ago and sold the Saeco and Lyman pots, now need to buy new as I have retired ans need the extra work anyway.

Clarence

Dale53
12-18-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know if this is the BEST price, but it is a discounted price. If you haven't seen these priced lately, you had better sit down first:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=3&tabId=1&categoryId=8660&categoryString=9315***685***

I DO believe that they are the "best of the best" without getting REALLY pricy. The best value is a Lee Pro 20 pot:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=8660&categoryString=9315***685***

Dale53

KennethF
12-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Midsouth catalog lists the RCBS furnace for about $10.00 less and their shipping is lower price.

Ken

Gunslinger
12-18-2009, 05:31 AM
What are the advantages of the RCBS pot compared to the Lee?? I have a Lee 10lbs pot i bought used. But I use three 3-cavs simoultaniousley so I add ingots all the time and am considering buying a larger pot. The thing is that the RCBS pot is about $700 (no I'm not kidding) and the Lee is about $200!!

So why buy the expensive one???

dubber123
12-18-2009, 09:13 AM
What are the advantages of the RCBS pot compared to the Lee?? I have a Lee 10lbs pot i bought used. But I use three 3-cavs simoultaniousley so I add ingots all the time and am considering buying a larger pot. The thing is that the RCBS pot is about $700 (no I'm not kidding) and the Lee is about $200!!

I really hate to see the gouging you guys take that aren't in the states... That said, the RCBS is a much higher quality unit, with a much better warrenty. Being able to buy 3 Lees for the price of 1 of the RCBS pots certainly makes them more attractive.

rummy64
12-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I don't know about their casting pots, but all of my other Lee stuff is top notch. The only exception is I like my Lyman scale better. My low dollar perfect powder measurer out performs my Lyman hands down on light pistol loads. Some of the tools do fell cheap, and you can see where they "cut the fat" to keep the price down. To me, it just has to work, it doesn't have to be pretty.

Edubya
12-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Gunslinger, I'll bet that you could build your own pot for a lot less than $200, much less $700! Before I bought my RCBS, I contemplated building a casting pot. The prices that I collected would have been a little over the price of a Lee. Decided that the RCBS would be better due to the warranty that they have provided to many over many years.
On the Lee, the temperature seems to fluctuate a lot more than the RCBS. I use an older Lee to feed smelted lead into my RCBS.
EW

44wcf
12-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Gentlemen: where is the best price on the RCBS Promelt, quit casting about 25 years ago and sold the Saeco and Lyman pots, now need to buy new as I have retired ans need the extra work anyway.

Clarence

I run 2 of the Lee 20lb pots. They have a tendency to drip a little but a quick turn on the rod stops that. I have had 1 of them for 4 years. Changed the spout once.
For the money I don't think you can beat them.
44wcf

azjohn
12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
This site has the lowest price I have found for most RCBS products.
http://www.a2zoutdoors.com/rcbs_bullet_casting_equipment.htm

Cherokee
12-18-2009, 01:32 PM
gunslinger - I seem to recall you are good as making things so consider building your own. If not, then the Lee 20# is cheaper and those are what I have been using (thee of them) for many years. I do not find dripping to be a problem, its does not happen unless the spout is dirty. I tried the expensive ones once, didn't see any difference in performance. Sold them. Just my opinion. I use two Lee's for different alloys, and a third for "smelting" small quantities.

cheese1566
12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Call or email RCBS and see if they have a factory second.

StarMetal
12-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I've owned and run my RCBS Promelt now for 30 years with no problems. Does that say anything about quality?

Joe

Jerry11826
12-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Google RCBS ProMelt - Have been looking for a second one - had mine going since 1986 and the sheet metal that holds the pot has about rusted away - Wish I had taken better care of it - anyway found one new for $269.95.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

quasi
12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I got a used one (like new) on Ebay for $ 157.00 a coule of years ago.

snuffy
12-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Dunno if the newer RCBS pots are steel, but this could never happen to a lee;

Google RCBS ProMelt - Have been looking for a second one - had mine going since 1986 and the sheet metal that holds the pot has about rusted away -

The temp DOES vary a LOT! on a lee. The thermostat is in the tower, it really ONLY reads air temp inside the tower, not direct contact with the pot or lead. Which is why I hooked up a PID thermostat to my pro 20. No more worries about temp control!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49410

dubber123
12-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Dunno if the newer RCBS pots are steel, but this could never happen to a lee;

The temp DOES vary a LOT! on a lee. The thermostat is in the tower, it really ONLY reads air temp inside the tower, not direct contact with the pot or lead. Which is why I hooked up a PID thermostat to my pro 20. No more worries about temp control!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49410

The Lee could just simply stop melting lead on about pound # 21 from brand new, requiring a high speed trip into the basement wall. I wouldn't have been so mad if it wasn't the second one I had bought. I spose I should have taken them up on their 2 year warrenty, but I just bought a Lyman instead.

fredj338
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM

The heating unit & thermostat are higher quality & the RCBS is insulated, the Lee is not. I like my 20# Lee, works fine. I would love to have an RCBS but $300 is quite a bit when you can do the same thing for a $65 Lee.

Tazman1602
12-18-2009, 05:26 PM

What's the big cost GS? Shipping? I just checked Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=645810

and the price on a Lee 20# pot is only about $70. Wonder what it would cost to have someone buy it in the states and mail it to you or is that LEGAL in Denmark?

Art

lwknight
12-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I guess things cost a lot more in Denmark. Bummer for them there.

fredj338
12-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Yeah, if it's not illegal, I would certainly send you one of the Lee 20#. I would think UPS would be no more than $50 & the pot can be bought for about $65. Certainly cheaper than $200.

mike in co
12-19-2009, 12:26 AM

it works...that simple

i have 1 rcbs, and two older lymans and two lees. the lees are only used for bbl slugging "boolits" not for anything else.

mike in co

Edubya
12-19-2009, 10:39 PM
I think that Denmark uses 220-240 volt single phase electricity. Would the 220 volt Lee work there?
EW

knappy
09-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Clarence

Clarence.
I have had a lee gave me lots of trouble all sorts of things, I then bought a RCBS, I know they are worth $ but have not had any troubles since in fact great pot. I would say go the RCBS.:

knappy
09-25-2010, 07:57 PM
I think that Denmark uses 220-240 volt single phase electricity. Would the 220 volt Lee work there?
EW

edubya.
I think you would need the 240 volt

Fixxah
09-25-2010, 08:32 PM
The Mag20 is a good product and the only disadvantage I can see is that the mould support is made of aluminum. I have the Pro-Melt, sold the Mag20. Then again, the aluminum will not wear the bottom of the mould.

lwknight
09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Did anyone notice the date on post #22?

noylj
09-25-2010, 10:56 PM
For over $300, I would get a cast iron pot and a gas burner. The main thing is first verify that you have a source of lead.

blackthorn
09-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Fredj338 said:"I would think UPS would be no more than $50 & the pot can be bought for about $65. Certainly cheaper than $200."

If you are going to ship (at least outside the USA) UPS is NOT the way to go!!! They are the biggest bunch of ripoff artists on shipping I have ever had the missfortune to have dealt with!!! They MAY be OK within the USA but I will NEVER buy another thing from the USA, if my only shipping option is United Parcel Service (UPS). If you decide to go that route, be sure you know the bottom line their door to yours! Have a great day.

qajaq59
09-26-2010, 05:08 PM
The thing is that the RCBS pot is about $700 (no I'm not kidding) and the Lee is about $200!! Good grief.... Someone in Denmark should start making them for $300. He'd apparently make a killing selling them!