PDA

View Full Version : A clean house!

NucEm
05-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Well yes! Sometimes bulletcasting can do wonderfull things and not only bullets:-D
A friend of mine wanted to learn a bit about casting bullets. I was a father of a 2 years old kid, she was sleeping and the mother of hers was..dont remember where...
The kitchen under a fan was the place to be when showing how to cast a few bullets. He had his own secondhand furnace, a very old one, the electrical cord was made of fabric:???: I guess around 1960 as the production year of it. His also second hand bulletmold was for a 357/158 bullet and we started to get nice ones just after warming upp the mold:drinks: Some coffee and coocies in between and more casting so he could catch the works of it:castmine:
What about the hardness of the bullets? well we know that quenching the bullets in water would do wonders to that. A big (former dogfood) water bucket was filed with clean water,a tovel in the bottom and more bullets was cast and dropped in it. All that time the furnace stood on the stainlesssteel bench on the kitchen. One hand on it for steadinnes and the other hand down the bucket to get upp a few cold and hard bullets and WHAM! That damn old furnace with the fabric electrical cord, the stainelss bench, me and the bucket of water........do i have to say more?:confused:
I have a nasty habbit to jerk very violently when zapped with 220 volts , this resuletd in about 45 liters of water all over the kitchen floor.
Long before the wife got home everything was gone and cleaned upp, so yes bullet casting can help you clean the house[smilie=1:

Have you done anything thats BIG NO NO when bulletcasting? please share so we can laugh and learn a little:mrgreen:

redneckdan
05-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Ouch, I had the pleasure of 480 3 phase once, twas intresting to say the least.

357tex
05-21-2006, 10:53 PM
480 v 3 phase
And you are still alive,no loss of a limb no burns?

crazy mark
05-21-2006, 11:17 PM
I took a hit from about 600 volts one time. We had variable voltage on the ship I was on when we got above a certain rpm to the boiler pumps and fans. Good way to loose a perfectly good wedding ring. That wife left not too much long after so it must have been a good thing. Had an older "NUN" at work who said she kept getting a shock when she touched the sink and refrigerator in the house. Checked it out and had 32 volts AC leakage off the refrigerator. The wall plug was wired backwards with no ground. Fixed that fast as I didn't want to be responsible for a Nun getting electricuted.
Mark

Buckshot
05-22-2006, 03:31 AM
....................NucEm, welcome amongst the gang! Oh I've had my share of casting experiences. Most common is naturally picking up somehting hot with the bare fingers. Second most common might be explosions in the lead pot for one reason or another. As another member titled it, "You got a visit by the tinsel fairy."

My one major mishap involved about 1/4 pot of hot lead. I have my Lee 20lb pot on a board, like this:

http://www.fototime.com/EB8491CA90B0461/standard.jpg

The board is on an incline, and that sheet of metal behind it is about 1/8" thick. I like to cast with the garage door open and that steel blocks breezes. I KNEW that the pot should have been anchored with screws, but just getting it done never seemed to happen. So one day while casting after dumping a couple boolits I turned back to refill the mould and here's the pot sliding toward me! It was light enough so the steel plate was pushing it.

What to do!? Grab it? Heck no I just sidestepped out of the way and bam, it hit the floor. Naturally I have rubber mats over the concrete floor so now I have this large artisic looking shiney big lead splotch melted right into the mat. And I also have ANOTHER pair of denims with a few lead speckles stuck to the fabric.

The pot was no worse off then before, and it was about time to quit anyway.

Another time long ago I had a large stainless steel saladbowl I was using to make a batch of lead alloy in. It was on the electric stove in the kitchen and I just kept dropping in lead ingots. Pretty soon it caused the electric heating coil to collapse! The wife was at work, luckily. I guess it must have had like 80 lbs of molten lead in it.

I turned off the stove, jumped in the car and headed for the home center to buy a replacement element (thanks God they had one) and reflector. It came rigth down to the wire before that pot of lead was cool enough to handle with mitts and the wife coming home. But like you I got it all fixed before the war department got home, but that was one wasted afternoon!

................Buckshot

Frank46
05-22-2006, 04:13 AM
I used to cast bullets for a trapdoor springfield. Lead was never a problem as I could get all I wanted. My mother used to throw a fit about the smell when she was home. She went out for some shopping one day and I decided to cast up a bunch of #457125's for the trapdoor. Had about 400 or so done and figured I'd better quit before Mom came home. Just about cleaned up and had the basement windows open to air the basement out. Twenty minutes later in she walks. Right away she said "making bullets again" . Busted big time. After that it was out in the back porch for bullet making. Frank

waksupi
05-22-2006, 07:50 PM
NucEm, I will direct you to a thread, involving one of my finest screw ups!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=2706

redneckdan
05-22-2006, 08:03 PM
480 v 3 phase
And you are still alive,no loss of a limb no burns?

No loss of limbs, did get some 2nd degree burns. Went to the doctor and they said at first my heart was running a bit fast but it settled down. Might have been due to adrenaline. I was cleaning up a dynasty TIG unit and when I went to unplug the power cable and wrap it up, I got nailed. I failed to notice the water cooling unit was leaking and i was standing in the puddle.[smilie=b: I've been hit with 120 before, that feels more like a tickle. 480 felt like a kick in tha balls.

shooter575
05-22-2006, 09:41 PM
120 and 220 aint too bad. 277 is some bad stuff though. I was replacing a light swich back in the steel conduit box and went to ground.Just went fron my thumb to index finger on my right hand.No burn but damm that hurt.Became a beleaver in "lock out-tag out" that day.
Worked for a R&D outfit that was building electric cars around 1980. One of the techs shorted his wedding band with 18 6v deep cycle batteries. 108 VDC at a billion A is bad.Never did get the smell out of that car. After that I took off my wedding band.No more jewellry for me.

DLCTEX
05-22-2006, 10:43 PM
As a Lineman-serviceman for an electic company in the past, I had a number of shocks. None were as terrorizing as an incident with a little old lady who insisted on getting a lamp for me to see behind her cook stove despite my insistence it wasn't needed. She brought the lamp, but the cord was too short to reach from the wall receptical to the stove, so off she went to get an extension cord. Shortly I heard her say "ow, that shocked me"! I looked and she had two male prongs trying to put them together, looking at the other end of the extension cord, it was plugged into the wall with a male plug. Lady don't use that, it won't work, I said. It worked this morning she said, here, see if it will shock you, this as she tried to stick to my stomach. I was backed into the corner with the old girl intent on testing it on me, with me begging please don't stick that to me. She finally gave up with me dodging and sucking in my gut for all I was worth.

NucEm
05-23-2006, 09:01 AM
....................NucEm, welcome amongst the gang!...............Buckshot
Thank you very much! Iam new as a member in here but ivbeen reading this forum alot in the past and i felt a bit like a thief[smilie=1:
Lots of knowledge in here and one can never have to much from that:coffee:

D.Mack
05-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Waksupi Your story reminded me of one of my harrowing moments. I used to tend bar on week-ends at a popular dance joint. One night a customer left her hat on the bar to dance, and another customer knocked it off the bar into the dish water, a quick grab and it was still soaked, so after toweling it down, I stuck it in the micro-wave for a qiick dry. I turned my back to make a drink and heard a pop followed by a sizzle. Yeah I had sparks, It seems some hats have wire in the brims to retain thier shape, and in the micro-wave, it can get hot enough to ignite said brim. So now I had a burning hat in the micro-wave, and lots of sparks to attract attention, sooo...... the hat went back into the dish water. Try explaining that to a half drunk cowgirl with an attitude and no hat. DM