PDA

View Full Version : Leading question

Fugowii
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I shot some 358429 boolits I lubed with Magma Lube this past week. They
measured out at a 10 BHN. These are 173gr right from the Lyman mold.
I used 4.6gr to 5.0gr of AA#2 powder in a .357 case. Shooting was from
my M28 with a six inch barrel. Today I went to clean it and I noticed that
there is a lead 'crust' (for lack of a better word) around the edge of the front
of the cylinder. Velocity was around 1K for the 4.6gr and 1060 for the 5.0gr.

No, I haven't slugged the barrel yet. The boolits are sized to .358 which has
always worked well when shooting cast boolits in this gun. Could it be that
the boolits aren't hard enough?

lwknight
12-17-2009, 09:45 PM
My GP-100 has 357 cylinder mouths and 356 barrel. I had a lead build up at the cylinder mouth problen with SWC 358 boolits. I used an old bore brush and wrapped in lightly in #0000 steel wool and applied jewelers rouge to the steel wool. Then with a drill motor I polished the cylinder mouths thoroughly and started using 357 sized boolits. So far it seems to have helped the problem.
Its bad luck if you find the bore bigger than the cylinder mouths. You have to open the cylinder mouths to fit the bore.

swheeler
12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
With out slugging the barrel and throats it's all a guess, so that is really step#1. Take one of your sized bullets and drop it into the cylinder from the rear, it shouldn't fall through on any of them. If it was me I would try a slower powder, your 5.0 of AA2 is the published start load and 5.5 is max @ 1006fps(from 8"bbl) and 41.1 cup. If you want to use the AA2 I would h2o drop and size the next day, then let them age up before shooting.

runfiverun
12-18-2009, 02:43 PM
that lead crust is pretty common.
if you look at enough revolvers you'll see what looks like holster wear in ths area, and it's the vaporized lead forming there. a d-lead cloth cleans it up pretty good, and a good lube stops it from sticking. and even from forming.

Fugowii
12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
if you look at enough revolvers you'll see what looks like holster wear in ths area, and it's the vaporized lead forming there. a d-lead cloth cleans it up pretty good, and a good lube stops it from sticking. and even from forming.

Thanks, are you referring to bollit lube or gun lube?

KYCaster
12-21-2009, 09:49 PM

Good advice for a stainless gun, but the d-lead cloth will wipe off blueing right along with the lead.

Jerry

fecmech
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
You can use the Chore Boy copper pads to get the lead deposits off the cylinder face and sides on blued guns without any damage to the bluing. I clean mine off every couple thousand rounds, bet yours isn't this bad!

blikseme300
12-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Yikes!:shock:

I was worried about leading inside, not outside! :holysheep

Bliksem

Fugowii
12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
You can use the Chore Boy copper pads to get the lead deposits off the cylinder face and sides on blued guns without any damage to the bluing. I clean mine off every couple thousand rounds, bet yours isn't this bad!

Wow! No, mine isn't nearly as bad as yours. Are those copper pads something
that you would find in a gun store or a hardware store? Thanks for the tip!

F

Fugowii
12-22-2009, 10:21 AM
With out slugging the barrel and throats it's all a guess, so that is really step#1. Take one of your sized bullets and drop it into the cylinder from the rear, it shouldn't fall through on any of them. If it was me I would try a slower powder, your 5.0 of AA2 is the published start load and 5.5 is max @ 1006fps(from 8"bbl) and 41.1 cup. If you want to use the AA2 I would h2o drop and size the next day, then let them age up before shooting.

I dropped the starting load down 10% since I had to insert the 173gr boolit further
into the case, beyond the crimp grove. The boolit length quoted at that load is, I
believe, 1.660" and I set the boolit 1.580" since a length of 1.660" wouldn't fit in my
revolver. I didn't want to start out with the standard load since this is the first time
I shot this boolit and had no idea what it's performance was. I think that both your
suggestions have a lot of merit. Either harden them or use a slower powder. Since
I already have a bunch made up I might try heating them up a tad to see if I can
harden them and also try a different powder (slower).

Thanks very much.

F

WHITETAIL
12-22-2009, 10:37 AM
The best powder MHO IS 2400.
Try 11.5 of 2400 and a 156-158 gr. boolet.:cbpour:

44man
12-22-2009, 11:10 AM
How many do not listen!!!!!
Using fast powders that develop full pressure IN THE CHAMBER needs a harder boolit, up to 30 or more BHN. The boolit can not be under size for the throats either.
Turning a soft boolit into a ball of putty at the forcing cone and blowing lead out of the gap is the height of folly.
Does anyone picture the boolit damage? Why continue?
All kinds of solutions to remove leading BUT YOU SHOULD NOT GET LEADING TO START WITH! :veryconfu
Does not your gun talk to you?
Yeah, I know, make the boolit softer so it obturates. :violin::violin::violin:

Fugowii
12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
How many do not listen!!!!!
Using fast powders that develop full pressure IN THE CHAMBER needs a harder boolit, up to 30 or more BHN. The boolit can not be under size for the throats either.
Turning a soft boolit into a ball of putty at the forcing cone and blowing lead out of the gap is the height of folly.
Does anyone picture the boolit damage? Why continue?
All kinds of solutions to remove leading BUT YOU SHOULD NOT GET LEADING TO START WITH! :veryconfu
Does not your gun talk to you?
Yeah, I know, make the boolit softer so it obturates. :violin::violin::violin:

I hear you. I'm learning (a lot of times the hard way!). First time I shot this round
and first time I have ever got any leading issues. Sounds like I did everything just
right to get some leading. :mrgreen:

fecmech
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Wow! No, mine isn't nearly as bad as yours. Are those copper pads something
that you would find in a gun store or a hardware store? Thanks for the tip!

F

I get mine in a local grocery store, they are used for cleaning pots and pans.