PDA

View Full Version : ruger 17hmr

Sonoma2k2
12-17-2009, 06:04 PM
guy out at my work is selling a ruger 17hmr with a skeleton stock, bushnell 3x9 and 300rds of ammo for $210. what you guys think of that????

StarMetal
12-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I'd skip it, there's pretty big call back on 17 ammo and also warning of what rifles to never use the ammo in.

Personally I think they were a waste. Pretty hard to beat the 22 rimfire and 22 mag rimfire.

Joe

Sparky141
12-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I'd be all over that deal . I have one and reallt like it . The ammo alone is about $75 to buy

2ndAmendmentNut
12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
In my opinion the price is reasonable. However I really see no use for a 17. If I want a rimfire I shoot 22lrs and if I want velocity I have several 22 centerfires to use.

If you have a use for a 17 go for it.

badgeredd
12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I like the 17 HRM myself. Ammo is realative close to the same a 22Mag. I can duplicate the 22 mag with the 22 Hornet ,218 Mashburn Bee or the 22 Super Jet. I've shot several varmits with mine which is a t/c contender frame carbine. Fun little (again LITTLE) cartridge.

Edd

waksupi
12-17-2009, 09:27 PM
.17's are leverites. Leave 'er right there.

Tazman1602
12-17-2009, 09:37 PM
guy out at my work is selling a ruger 17hmr with a skeleton stock, bushnell 3x9 and 300rds of ammo for $210. what you guys think of that????

If it's NOT a semi-auto grab it. I love my NEF .17's...............ammo is worth around $60 bucks but I could be behind a bit on that...................

If it's a semi-auto and you buy it and send it to Ruger they will NOT return it.................

Art

Tazman1602
12-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I'd skip it, there's pretty big call back on 17 ammo and also warning of what rifles to never use the ammo in.

Personally I think they were a waste. Pretty hard to beat the 22 rimfire and 22 mag rimfire.

Joe

Only in semi-auto's Joel. Although I HAVE to agree with the .22 mag statement.........pretty hard to beat.

Art

Sonoma2k2
12-17-2009, 10:36 PM
ok guys, i'm more of a 22 man myself, i was thinking it was a good deal. I had not heard of any recalls on the 17 or ammo. whats going on?? I thought about just geting it and raffling it off thru the plant. guns dont last long on 5 dollars a chance. thanks for the info gentlemen. just curious as to why ruger wouldnt return a semi???

garandsrus
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Sonoma,

One reason to get it is that you can't varmint hunt in some states (including Michigan) after dark with a centerfire rifle. I think that a 17 HMR would work very well for close in Coyotes.

I don't have a .22 mag, but do have a .17 HMR (Savage bolt action). The reading I have done shows the 17 as a much superior cartridge. Also from reading, the accuracy of the .17's seems to be better than the .22 mag. My Savage will easily shoot 1 min of angle. I have only shot it out to 200 yards.

The .17 is much more expensive to shoot than a .22 RF, but that's why you should have a .22 RF also :)

John

KYCaster
12-18-2009, 01:37 AM
I very briefly owned a NEF Handi Rifle in 17HMR. I was very pleased with the accuracy.(< 3/4 in. at 100 yds) But performance on small game was horrible. No expansion at all with the Hornady ammo I bought along with the rifle.

I traded it off and don't miss it.

Jerry

Tazman1602
12-18-2009, 05:52 AM
ok guys, i'm more of a 22 man myself, i was thinking it was a good deal. I had not heard of any recalls on the 17 or ammo. whats going on?? I thought about just geting it and raffling it off thru the plant. guns dont last long on 5 dollars a chance. thanks for the info gentlemen. just curious as to why ruger wouldnt return a semi???

Because they were blowing up bolts. Several gunsmiths were making conversions from .22 mag to .17HMR and it was having the same effect. A while back Ruger had teased us with a .17HMR 10-17 semi auto but it quietly went away. I don't know the facts involved but have read about it and seen pics of broken bolts.

Here's a couple of links:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/08/19/remington-17-hmr-recall-buyback-ammunition-and-model-597/

Remington:
http://www.remington.com/safety/17_HMR_Ammo_notice/default.asp

I have two NEF 17's and that action is strong enough it has no issues to my knowledge and is extremely accurate. My only complaint with the rifle (I bought two at $110 each when they came out...) is the trigger and I've recently found the info to fix that also. It's next on my project list.

17HMR chrono's consistently at 2500fps for me -- that's all Hornady ammo BTW.

Art

Farmall 1066
12-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd buy it right up. Not because I like it, but because that's a pretty good price! The ammo alone is worth about half the asking price.

Andy

Sprue
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I like the round, its hard to beat the accuracy with an "out of box/ off the shelf" cheap rifle in a NO Wind condx. I have no experience w/ the Ruger but if its near Savage accuracy it would be a no brainer at that price.

Ammo around here is about $14 bx 50.

Sonoma2k2
12-18-2009, 05:51 PM
ill see the guy tom maybe when i get off, its snowing darn good right now. see if i can sneek a peek at it. another guy i shoot with is raffling off a nickel finished Kimel 22 with a spare 22 mag cylinder. i think its 10 bucks a pop. not bad and the pistol looks revolver looks decent. thanks for all the info guys.

Johnch
12-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Buy the package
Sell the ammo
Call Ruger and buy a 22 mag barrel
Sell the 17 HMR barrel on Flea Bay Or Gun Choaker

You should be money ahead

John

Down South
12-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I have a 17 HMR and really like it. It's a CZ though and not a Ruger. The CZ that I have is very accurate as long as there isn't much of a breeze. It's the gun that I squirrel hunt with. I do have a friend that has the Ruger. He seems to like it just fine. If you want a 17 then I'd say go for it.

Phat Man Mike
12-20-2009, 11:19 PM

Joe

I thought the problem was with the 17 mach II stuff. but what do I know [smilie=l::oops:

Down South
12-21-2009, 01:14 AM
After just a bit of research I found out that the Remington 597 HMR rifle and Remington 17 HMR Ammo is what’s being recalled. I didn’t know of the recall till this thread. I don’t see where this affects any other brand of rifle. As far as the 17 HMR is concerned it is a great caliber if you have a need for it. The Ruger in question is a bolt gun and should not have any problems. If its accuracy is even close to my CZ 17 HMR then it’s a keeper.
The warning I saw about the Remington ammo was that it isn’t to be used in a semi auto. I used Remington ammo once when it first came out but it wasn’t as accurate as the Hornady Varmint Express that I started out with and still use. But if Remington ammo is what comes with the rifle I wouldn’t have a problem shooting it in a bolt gun.

On another note; I’ve owned several 22’s and 22 Mags, still do. I’m not saying it can’t be done but I never achieved the accuracy with the 22’s that I have with the 17 HMR.

Sprue
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the leg work Sam, much obliged.

The only rounds that I've used are CCI's, Speer and Hdy. I've never been able to shoot the eyes outta them squirrels with 22 lr. Never had the itch'n for the mag.

jleneave
12-22-2009, 04:57 AM
I have a Ruger .17/77 in .17HMR and I love that rifle!! Like others have stated if there isn't much of a wind I can shoot 3/4" groups all day @ 100yds with mine off a bench and occasionally get a little under that. Mine shoots the CCI TNT 17gr JHPs the best and the Hornady's are a close 2nd. Several of my buddies have .17HMRs in various rifle brands and everyone I have talked to gets exceptional accuracy from their rifles. I have both .22lr rifles and .22 mag rifles and none of my .22s can hold a candle in the accuracy department compared to my .17HMR. You also don't have to worry much about ricochets (sp?) near as much. Usually anything that the ballistic tip and hollow point .17 ammo comes in contact with disintegrates the bullet. That is also a really good price on that rifle/ammo. I say if you think that you would like to give the .17HMR a try buy it, at that price you would have no problem getting your money back and maybe even a little extra.

Jody

Sonoma2k2
12-24-2009, 03:17 PM
talked to the guy today, its a bolt rifle. I told him i was intrested and wanted to see it. I got the cash ready for the deal but i think he is gonna back out. he did it before. Thanks for all the info. I do recall him saying "you can't shoot ballistic tips out of a semi" thats why he got the bolt action. thats the update for now. if i get it i'll load up a pic.

Sonoma2k2
12-29-2009, 12:42 PM
well here is the update for the 17hmr. He totally backed out like i had mentioned in a previous post. It was the same excuse he used last time. "she's leaving me and my dad is gonna buy all my guns" blah blah blah he probably never even had the rifle. Wouldnt it have been easier to say that??

you guys work with any of these guys?? the best ever is a guy I work with who says he has a glock in 44mag. extremely rare he says and lie the 500SW he keeps in his truck but never shows it to anyone.

AZ-Stew
12-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Another guy i shoot with is raffling off a nickel finished Kimel 22 with a spare 22 mag cylinder. i think its 10 bucks a pop. not bad and the pistol looks revolver looks decent. thanks for all the info guys.

I thought I was the only one who owned a Kimel. It's chrome plated, not nickel, and if it has the original fake mother of pearl plastic grips, be very careful not to bump them against anything hard. They'll shatter. I paid $50 back in the early 70s for mine. It shoots, but don't count on accuracy. In addition, if you can line up one squirrel in the sights and get another one directly off to the side, you may be able to kill both of them with the same shot. What comes out the muzzle will get one, and the lead spit out the side will get the other. Cheap gun. Save up to get a real one.

Regards,

Stew