PDA

View Full Version : Born Out of Season...

madcaster
12-17-2009, 01:58 PM
I wonder,how many of us have read this book and wanted to do a trail walk of our own?:coffee:
I am lucky in many ways,I live just 6 miles from Elk Garden,which is between Whitetop Mounain and Mount Rogers.I have hiked both,Mount rogers witha nice flintlock rifle in my hands.:smile:

dualsport
12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Nope, haven't read it, but now I will. I got an Amazon.com gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe cheaper used copies are available. Anything to do with backwoods loafing, woodsrunning, and old time trekking with a gun sounds good to me. Thanks for the tip. I think if you like cast boolits there's probably some mountain man genes in your blood. They were prolific multipliers.

dualsport
12-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Ordered a copy on Amazon. Can't wait. Free shipping on orders over $25, although this book is $9.

beemer
12-18-2009, 01:27 PM
I have a copy that I read years ago, in the mid 80's. It was given to me by a friend who was into buckskinning at the time. I just pulled it out, I had forgotten it was signed by Hooker.
It is snowing here and I was looking for something to read, thanks for reminding me.

Dave

dualsport
12-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Autographed copy!!? You lucky dog, that's probably $125.

beemer
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM
dualsport,

That would be nice, want to buy it? If the book was self published he might have signed a lot of them before shipping.

Speaking of autographed copy, I have Cast Bullets by Col. E. H. Harrison. It is hard bound in a sleeve, signed and numbered by the author. I gave $20 for it about 15 years ago, what a bargin.

I found Ned Roberts' Caplock Rifles(second printing) and Dixon's book on building ML's at a local flea market for $1 each. Anything in the box for a dollar, I grabbed them and ran.

Dave

peter nap
12-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Havn't read it yet but it's $8.95 on Amazon, so I guess I will.
I was wondering where you were in Va. The yuppies haven't found you yet. You're still in Gods Country.

John Taylor
12-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Read the book many years back. If I remember there was a spot in it that talked about a deputy that was afraid to shoot a bad man in a tree with his 32 S&W for fear of hitting someone on the ground. Ether he wasn't a good shot or was afraid the body falling out of the tree would land on someone.

madcaster
12-20-2009, 03:57 AM
I was wondering where you were in Va. The yuppies haven't found you yet. You're still in Gods Country.

Peter,
I am in Marion,come on around sometime when you can.Or,maybe we will meet at the Floyd shoot at the Weeks family farm.
Liked the curly maple blanks you have in your PhotoBucket albums.
Jeff

madcaster
12-20-2009, 04:03 AM
Folks,here is some good reading as well-
http://www.newrivernotes.com/ww/wwaters.htm
Wilburn Waters is buried about 25 miles from where I am sitting now,and Whitetop mountain is just 6 miles from my home.Always liked the part of him "riding off Whitetop on a bear"....
And a book of what a man who is properly motivated-meaning that it is NOT for self,but is living a life GOD has laid out for him,can do to share the message-read the book-"The Man Who Moved A Mountain".

buckweet
12-24-2009, 02:38 AM
whats the book about ?

madcaster
12-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Well,a guy is born in Oklahoma,lives a rough early life,does some wrong things as it is subliminally revealed,then finds GOD,repents as best he can,and also relives some of the earlier pioneering times by walking the big trails.That's all I am saying,the book is less than $15.00-it's worth it.

buckweet
12-24-2009, 12:19 PM
wonder ? if i can find that book at library ?

sounds like good reading,

whats you all's favorite book ?

mine was ''where is joe merchant'' by jimmy buffet.

never laughed so much in my life.

weet

smoked turkey
01-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks to a thoughtful wife I received a couple of books for my birthday today. I am anxious to get into them. One is 'Born Out of Season' that was recommended here. The other promises to be good as well. 'The Lost Classics' of Robert Ruark as edited by Jim Casada. Since the outside temps are below zero(wind chill factored in) here in southern MO I am not getting to burn much powder. Hope everyone is dry and warm.
Smoked Turkey