PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 wound. . . . Wow!

awaveritt
12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Thought I'd share this email story that's going around. I trust the moderator to move this to the appropriate forum, as I wasn't sure where it belonged.

I cannot speak to the veracity of this story, I'm sending it to you in the form I received it. If true, HOLY %$^@ !!!!!! (SEE Attached PIC)

This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to fall and I'm not sure if his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a 325 grain .45-70 round right under the collar bone. I think it goes with out being said, how lucky he is to still be here.

The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his spinal cord! Just goes to show that he truly is LUCKY! The ballistic tip mainly just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in the picture.
He's getting better & better every day, last night he was even doing push ups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!

Anyone care to share some first hand stories of firearm accidents or near-accidents? I know how easy it is to forget the awesome power of firearms when we get complacent. Y'all be careful out there and Merry Christmas!

Hickory
12-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Rule # 1 all guns are dangerous
Rule # 2 all guns are loaded

j20owner
12-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Where's the picture?

1874Sharps
12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
That wound is incredible! So glad the shooting victim is doing better and survived.

I will tell you all about an exceedingly bazaar mishap I had about ten years back. My wife and I were on the road, traveling on a cross country back to Texas from Washington State and I had been driving for some time. It was in the early morning hours that I pulled off to the frontage road and into an improvised parking area where there were a couple of 18-wheelers doing the same thing. I reclined the driver seat and placed my 9mm Ruger P95 on my lap under a pillow and placed my hands on top of the pillow. The Ruger had been decocked with one in the tube for quick DA deployment in the unfortunate event the bandits would show up, and I drifted off to some much needed sleep. Now just the day before my wife and I had been having a great old time with some college friends of decades past in Southern Idaho. The gals did their thing and we guys did our thing: shooting at the range. It was a fun reunion and brought back many great memories of our times of hunting and shooting years ago. After about three hours of sleep I started dreaming about our time together on the range. My dream was much like the event of a day before. We were laughing and joking and then it was my turn to step up to the firing line and shoot my pistol. I fired a shot in my dream and suddenly woke up. After the cobwebs cleared a little and I came back to reality, I saw my wife's eyes looking like saucers. She told me, "You just fired your gun!!!" At first I thought to myself, "That just cannot be! She could not have had the same dream I just had!" Then I smelled that smell of burned smokeless powder and it started to become clear to me that I had just shot the Ruger that was in my lap. I jumped out of the car and started checking myself for holes, as my wife said she was OK. I broke out a flashlight after verifying that I was unscathed and searched the car. I found that I had shot the pistol downward toward the floorboards in my sleep. The bullet went through a plastic panel below the dash, clipped the edge of the fuse box and embedded in the floorboard. The bullet had passed between my knees and only by the grace of the good Lord did not hit me, praise be to him. Fortunately the shot did not disable the car, either. What did this teach me? It taught me that tactile touch can feed back into the central nervous system in the form of a dream and fuse together with it. I decided in the future I would sacrifice a little time in deploying a weapon in such a situation and keep the gun out of my touch. I have never heard of this kind of mishap before or since, so I am sure it is not a normal or usual type of accidental discharge. I just hope that by relating this incident to everyone I can benefit all of you by this experience.

303Guy
12-17-2009, 04:00 PM
I have heard stories of people sleaping with a gun under the pillow shooting themselves! It was thought to be by accidently setting the gun off by nocturnal movement. Urban myth? Apparently not! It makes sense to me now.

One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on.A loaded gun with a closed breach while sighting in?

Rule No.3 Only close the breach when ready to fire!

Try leaving a rifle's breach closed on an official range under the control of a range officer and see what happens!

An incedent I had once. I closed the bolt onto a loaded round while holding the trigger depressed (so as to be 'uncocked'). The gun fired! At first I thought I boched it and must have pulled the trigger after closing the bolt. But no, close a bolt quickly enough with the trigger depressed and there is enough forward momentum of the firing pin to set off a primer! (Sometimes in some guns).

PatMarlin
12-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Ouch-

I have been a sleep walker and talker all of my life. It was much worse when I was under stress, living in the city. I don't do it much at all anymore. I've hurt myself before- got up and slammed my head into a mirror trying to escape from who know's what in a dream. I've pulled out a loaded gun at night and woke up.

Now I don't keep em' chambered and decocked unless I am fully awake and ready to fire.

Pitmaster
12-17-2009, 04:14 PM
Any chance this is photoshopped. Quite honestly something about the wound and the photo doesn't particularly look real to me. I find that with a wound that looks like that he would be sitting up. I can't picture that guy stretching his arm/shoulder as he appears to be doing. Notice his arm in front of his face. No doubt a wound from a 45-70 would hurt but I don't think someone would be sitting up like that.

There was an email going around awhile back about a guy shooting his foot. I received the email photo several times with the "incident" attributed to different shooting disciplines and scenarios.

jdgabbard
12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
When I was in High School I had a buddy of mine (who was a few years older) who had a really bad accident. He and his good friend were out hunting in the mountains around southeastern Oklahoma. Yes we do have what we call mountains... After they had been out hunting for a while they decided to make the drive back into town. When they got there they both exited the vehicle and began retrieving their rifles that where stowed behind the seat in the truck. Well when my friend grabbed his rifle he laid his finger inside the trigger guard. When he went to pull the rifle out the buttstock hit on the cab of the car. And the 35win decided to go off. The round struck his good friend just below the collar bone in the front of the chest.

Jody immediately drove his friend to the hospital, and to the ER. And yes in towns such as this it is faster to drive to the ER instead of waiting on the ambulance. The man lived. But from what I hear he still has issues with his left arm.

jdgabbard
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Any chance this is photoshopped. Quite honestly something about the wound and the photo doesn't particularly look real to me. I find that with a wound that looks like that he would be sitting up. I can't picture that guy stretching his arm/shoulder as he appears to be doing. Notice his arm in front of his face. No doubt a wound from a 45-70 would hurt but I don't think someone would be sitting up like that.

There was an email going around awhile back about a guy shooting his foot. I received the email photo several times with the "incident" attributed to different shooting disciplines and scenarios.

Here a while back there was a story about someone who had shot themselfs in the leg while unloading their pistol in his loading room. He was actually giving updates on his website. Forget who it was. But if you saw that wound it would suprise you at how much tissue damage there was from just a 45acp.

I'm not saying that photoshopping doesn't happen, or that changes in stories don't happen. But the fact that many of these stories have happened cannot be debated. Sure there are a few that are just nonsense. Sure there are a few that have changed little by little with each new posting and end up as a different story. But don't write it off just because you're unsure. It may very well be a true account.

awaveritt
12-17-2009, 04:29 PM
Any chance this is photoshopped

Anything's possible in cyberspace, and as I said, I'm not sure. However, I wondered about the entrance wound being larger than the exit wound. Seems like they would be just the opposite in size. . .

PatMarlin
12-17-2009, 04:39 PM
A local CHP killed himself up here on a deer hunt. Went to pull his rifle out of the back seat by the barrel and it fired. Hit him in the leg and he bled to death. Another CHP up here killed himself by pulling his service shotgun out of the patrol car. Shot himself in the head.

Actually, those are the only firearm related accidents I've heard of from these parts in 11 years. Both CHP cops, and both within a very short time from each other.

I remember the guy with the 45 going off in his basement. That was ugly.

silverbuzzard
12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
that wound could in fact be entrance, if muzzle were close and any gas went in, even if not ,the wound can "blow back". I have shot deer close on the shoulder and had it happen
If this is legit, he should now be a Christian if he was not before.

Had a mishap coupel eyars ago. Brand new Ruger 45 auto unfamilar with it.
Was wiping down outside of it AFTER I checked condition by pulling slide back an inch.
I thought I was looking at the nickeled follower on the mag but was glancing at a 230 grain Remington nickel cased Golden Saber.
Thank God for good handling practices even if I made mistake visually.
I wiped gun and pointed it at my work bench and pulled double action.
Killed an old computer on the bench! Was really surprised by the lack of penetration
Went thru sidewall of unit and only dented the other side ,hit nothing in between
Have had one other brainfart in 50 years [ I am 57] of handling guns including handling them every day as a cop . Thanks again to the Lord, that time I was also pointing gun down and away.

Deliverator
12-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Buddy of mine blew his pinkie off with a .40 Glock 23. He was attempting to remove the round from the chamber, pinched himself, flinched and the extractor hit the primer, sent an extremely deformed .40 S&W Federal HydraShock through his hand and sent pieces of it into the wall. Goes to show you, being "careful" not to lose or damage a round isn't as important as being careful not to let it discharge unintentionally. Buying more ammo is cheaper than buying a new hand.

lwknight
12-17-2009, 05:29 PM
This one ins kinda funny in hind sight.
My grandfather was hunting in some rocky hills with the rifle in condition 1 in case he jumped a deer. He tripped and fell, dropping his rifle somehow and it went off.
He siad that there wqas blood all over his face and running down his neck with a burning sensation on his neck.

He felt fragments of bone in his forhead and a bone fragment in his neck. Or so he thought.
It turned out that the bullet hit a rock and embeddeb a small piece of rock in his forehead shin and on his neck was a piece of hot lead wrapped on the skin.

He was not seriously injured but, was wondering how he could be alive after being shot through the neck and the bullet coming out his head.

When we hunted, he never let me carry one in the pipe untill ther was a clear target.
A good rule to stay alive by.

Crash_Corrigan
12-17-2009, 05:44 PM
I, according to my ex, am a sleepwalker. She loves to embarass me by telling the story of how I ended up in a closet and I was trying to find the john cover and then as I had closed the door behind me, I could not get out.

I keep my shooting iron in a holster, with a safety strap over the hammer across the room so I at least have my eyes open.

I really do not think anybody can sneak up on me as I have "Rambo" my attack trained Chihuahua to keep me safe 'on the alert' at all times.

awaveritt
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Well, since I started this, I'll tell one on myself.

About 2 months ago I was firing my first batch of cast TL-356-124-2R out of my CZ-75B at an indoor range. I had apparently left a few primers high in the pocket so that when I had inserted a full magazine and released the slide to chamber a round, the bolt face slammed against the high primer causing the gun to discharge! Fortunately, my brain circuitry was following the embedded script of safe gun handling and the gun was harmlessly pointing downrange. Talk about a dose of adrenalin!

I immediately came home and inspected the rest of the rounds and have ramped up a closer inspection of loaded rounds as they leave my bench.

HammerMTB
12-17-2009, 06:00 PM
2 incidents:
High school acquaintances were out hunting deer. One was using the scope across the hood of the truck. The other was sitting/kneeling below the front wheel.
From sitting, he rose in front of the shooter, who at that moment decided he had a shot.
The hunting round went back to front clear thru his head, killing him instantly.
There are more gun safety violations in that than fingers on my hands. It was a real sad hometown tragedy at the time, as both were high school seniors.

2. I was going to my gun room to clean my 19-2 S&W. It was my bedside gun at the time. Opened the cylinder, dumped the ammo in my hand, put it in my pocket, and closed the cylinder. As I passed by the picture window, drew a bead and "dry-fired". ND'd a round right thru the double-pane 4X8 window, into the garage roof.
The brass had a dent and didn't eject with the rest of the rounds. I did not count them as they left the cylinder.
Lesson learned. Thankfully no harm, other than an expensive window shot out.

ghh3rd
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
My ex's brother in law lost use of his left arm and has a massive scar on his shoulder below the collar bone. He climbed over a fence, reached over and pulled his hunting rifle over -- you can guess the rest.

XWrench3
12-17-2009, 06:35 PM
i am not sure if that is a true story or not. the hole sizes look about right, but it is hard to believe that the damage to the tissue between the two points isnt more. if the bullet just skimmed accros the top, and did not enter the body, it may be right. the meat damage that was done to the deer i shot this year was way more substantial. but, i guess you never know.

Lead Fred
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
Rule # 1 all guns are dangerous
Rule # 2 all guns are loaded

Rule # 2 should be rule #1

Guns are only dangerous when the operator isnt obeying rule #1

docone31
12-17-2009, 06:49 PM
My son came to visit this last summer.
While we were exhausting our patiences I got out my Race Gun and directly handed it to him.
He immediately checked it for a battery condition!
Clip out, slide back, thumb in the chamber, before he had a chance to even speak.
He is 35, hasn't handled a firearm since I was still with his mother. I went out of my way to present to him, safely, improper firearms handling, and what to do about it.
Made me feel good.
He hated his childhood. I made him take out the garbage, do his homework, even think for himself. I was a bad dad.
In an instant, he reacted, rendering a firearm safe without even thining about it.
It had an empty clip, empty chamber, and the safety was on, but he passed.
There was this time, while he was cleaning his 10/22, I asked him if it was unloaded. He told me emphatically it was, and procceeded to pull the trigger with the muzzle pointing up.
Bam!
The silence is hard to describe. The bullet lodged in a roof joist just below penetrating the plywood sheeting.
Never needed another word.
Big mouth checked twice from then on.
I guess some things stuck.

Freightman
12-17-2009, 06:54 PM
I had a ported Taurus 45 ACP simi-auto and was shooting at a target and shot 10 times, reached up to pull slide back because it didn't lock back. The reason it didn't it had 11 shots in it, well I had my left hand holding the slide over the ports and pulled the triger, still pointed at the target. Do you know how much stuff comes out of the ports? well I dug pieces of what ever out for two years. Sold that sucker ASAP.

ironcowboy
12-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Thought I'd share this email story that's going around. I trust the moderator to move this to the appropriate forum, as I wasn't sure where it belonged.

I cannot speak to the veracity of this story, I'm sending it to you in the form I received it. If true, HOLY %$^@ !!!!!! (SEE Attached PIC)

Anyone care to share some first hand stories of firearm accidents or near-accidents? I know how easy it is to forget the awesome power of firearms when we get complacent. Y'all be careful out there and Merry Christmas!

There is no way that can be real, as anyone who has ever butchered a deer or bear would know. The tissue damage between the two points would be extreme in a case like that. Not only that, but the shock of a round like that would in itself be enough to do huge dammage!:-?

jdgabbard
12-17-2009, 07:50 PM
There is no way that can be real, as anyone who has ever butchered a deer or bear would know. The tissue damage between the two points would be extreme in a case like that. Not only that, but the shock of a round like that would in itself be enough to do huge dammage!:-?

True, there should be a lot of damage on the innards... Only problem is there isn't a lot of innards in those places. Most people have pretty bony backs...

Shiloh
12-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Incredible story and photo.

A loaded rifle in battery, leaning against a four wheeler?? WOW??

Shiloh

crabo
12-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Afriend of mine put a cheap 25 acp in his pocket. It went off. The bullet went through the flesh of his right leg, through his middle leg, and stopped in the left leg. He wanted to show me the wound to his middle leg when I visited him the hospital.

I wouldn't look.

Edubya
12-17-2009, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't look.
Tell us anything that you want to crabo, we can't prove otherwise.:kidding:
EW

lwknight
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
His middle leg? lol I spit Dr.Pepper on my keyboard

crabo
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Tell us anything that you want to crabo, we can't prove otherwise.:kidding:
EW

The rest of the story is that his girlfriend was the mischievous type and would come in and start messing with him. He had a Cather stuck up in him and when she would get the blood pumping, he would be in serious pain. I never could understand her fascination for causing him pain, but she had a lot of fun doing it. Must have been payback for something.

303Guy
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
... put a cheap 25 acp in his pocket. It went off. .... I wouldn't look. Somehow that story lost its seriousness in the telling.[smilie=1:
:mrgreen:

303Guy
12-17-2009, 11:05 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18016&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1261075720
I can imagine the boolit striking the skin at an oblique angle, hooking it and bunching it up before and during rupturing of the skin and flesh under neath. I have trouble with the lack of surface bruising and swelling or subsiding of the skin between the two wounds.

I favour the suggestion that the boolit did not pass under the skin but over it. It's possible that the skin being dragged with it could have slightly deflected the boolit back towards the mans neck. But who can say for sure?

Then the question arises why he would be posing for a picture like that with signs of healing on the edge of the entry wound when there are no stitches!

troy7769
12-17-2009, 11:31 PM
I would have to say that, this is not a boolit wound. First your coller bone is in the front. Second, I don't think that a boolit entering would leave a burn mark like the one at the top of the wound. It looks like a electrical burn to me. JMHO troy

PatMarlin
12-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Since we're all confessing...

I jumped out the window in the milddle of the night in my undershorts, woke up as I was knocking on the front door and my mom answered ...:mrgreen:

Well it was her house, and I was about 17...

Southern Son
12-18-2009, 02:19 AM
I have had to invvestigate 2 "accidental shootings". The first was two fellows out shooting in a 4wd ute. The passenger got out when he saw a feral donkey on the driver's side of the track. He laid his 30/06 Mauser accross the roof of the ute, lined up the cross hairs and let fly. The bullet was a factory loaded 150 grain Winchester soft point. The scope could see over the roof line, but the barrel was 1.5 inches lower. The bullet hit the roof and exploded. A heap of the fragments made it into the cab and hit the driver in the head. Other than a heap of small cuts, he was alright.

The second was just plain stupid. Several people out on a farm. All were drinking heavily. They started shooting at Fruit Bats (It was late at night). One person has shot his brother in the back with a 12ga, leaving him in a wheel chair. Where do you start with what they did wrong with this one? Drunk, shooting in the dark (no spotlights or torches, just shooting at the bats shaddows), shooting protected species (if they were on a fruit farm and the bats were stealing fruit, I could understand killing a few fruit bats, but it was a cattle farm), pointing a gun at someone else??????? Everyone kept saying it was a tragedy, but it was just stupidity on a grand scale.

luke777
12-18-2009, 03:08 AM
Gunshot wounds. lots of variables and every wound is different but...

I have been a hunter most of my life and a Paramedic for over ten and I would have to say that I don't believe this is a gunshot wound.

Actually looks like two seperate wounds.

The blackening around the perimeters of the wounds remind me a lot of electrical burns so that could be another possibility, entry and exit points but I would probably expect at least some tracking between the two points, redness and or inflammation, from the current....

only the guy in the photo knows.. And I may well be wrong.

Luke

starbits
12-18-2009, 04:01 AM
A friend of mine was reloading 44 mag and put the first reload in the cylinder and ratcheted it around to make sure it would clear the barrel. His 2 year old son came up next to him and as the cartridge went under the hammer his son screamed, he jerked, dropped the hammer and the round went through the door, through the wall and into a clock. Wife wasn't home so he quick patched up the door and wall. Next morning he leaves for work and the 2 year old takes mommy by the hand, points to the patched door and says "Bang mommy Bang!" BUSTED!

rummy64
12-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Saw a guy in the ER once with the back of his shoulder blown off. He was climbing into his treestand with his Remington 760 with the thing loaded and a "worse case scinario" happened........his sling broke, the gun fell straight down on the butt, sending a .270 corloct through the same area of the picture. There was no entrance, or exit wound, just a massive wound with lots of flesh missing. He was actually lucky! I'd bet neither him nor I will ever even consider climbing into a tree stand with a loaded gun! Not that I ever did, but that incident comes back to me everytime I climb into a treestand.

Char-Gar
12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
In the mid-60s, while White Wing Dove hunting in South Texas I witness a hunting related shooting. Several vehicles had parked on a private road and the hunters were getting ready for the hunt. One man took his shotgun from the cab of his pickup, jacked a shell into the chamber and leaned it against the side of bed of his truck. He lowered the tail gate and was putting on his shell vest, when the shotgun sliped off and fell stricking the protruding edge of the rear bumper. The shotgun discharged with the hunter taking the load under his left arm very near the arm pit at the range of a few feet.

The shot charged severed an artery and the fellow bleed out before he could reach the hospital. He was DOA.

On many occasions I have seen folks lean loaded firearms against cars, trucks, trees etc. etc. etc.. I always ask folks not to do that. Most often they just get pissed. I just get far way from them as soon as I can.

Hickory
12-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Rule # 2 should be rule #1

Rule # 1 All guns are dangerous.

I can site 2 examples where a non-firearm is dangerous.

1) When I was a kid, neighbor shot at his sister with a cork gun and put her eye out. It eventually became infected and she died.

2) Also when I was a kid, and must people who are my age or older (58)remember cap guns.
We had cap guns, you know the kind that you put a roll of caps in the side.
Me and my brother were shootin it up when mom called us for lunch.
I threw my "gun" on the couch and went in the kitchen to eat.
Within 5 minutes the couch was in flames and the living room full of smoke.

I stand by rule #1 that all guns are dangerous.

rummy64
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
If you ask me standing on an atv, with a loaded gun leaning against it, while shooting no less.........these guys were taunting natural selection!

mroliver77
12-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I rarely hunt with otheres anymore. A couple friends come out and hunt bunnies with me each season. When crossing a small stream we unload the chamber and hand gun across before making a jump over it. Fences are treated with respect also. Unload the gun and pass it through the fence. Reload on other side when party has safely crossed. I read a piece one time by I believe Jim Carmichael where he stated that there are very few true gun accidents. Most are gun stoopids. Like crawling up a tree with a loaded weapon. What are you gonna shoot while you are climbing a tree? The worst I have done was while dry firing or should I say immediately after a dry firing session. I was upstairs in comp room dry firing while waiting for wife to finish getting ready for us to go out. I knew I could get in 15 min of DF practice before she was ready. Sure enough at least 15 min before she was "ready" to go. I loaded gun back up and stuck it in the drawer by the comp where it was kept. Then it was "Ohh darn a got a run in these hose" or mebbe it wasthe monthly "Ohh no, I've started and need to change out of these white slacks!" Anyhoo I seen the chance for a few more minutes practice and grabbed the gun out of the drawer and aimed out the back window and there was our riding mower setting there with lots of circles to aim at. I dialed in on the key hole and began the squeese. I still remember the sights moving to the right of the "bull" and I worked them back over and the surprisingly BLAM!!!! The sights had aligned perfectly with the ignition switch of the mower when the sear broke and sent sent a 452423 at 950fps through a glass window and then mashed the ign switch. Funny but just a hole in the glass. Wife asked what I was doing and I fessed up to takin a shot at a critter in the garden. "
you'uns better stay clean!" she replied. When she was out I fixed the window. The mower required a new switch, wiring connector and a battery as the battery resides just behind the dash. Darndest thing was I was reading "No Second Place Winner" at the time and Jordan warns of this danger when dry firing! Glad that was the onliest time I made a mistake.
Jay

2shot
12-18-2009, 07:59 PM
I question the photo as being real. From personal experiance I got shot and here's my story.

I was working as a LEO undercover making a drug buy. Short story is that the BG realized I was a cop and pulled a .25 out of his pocket and started to point in at me:holysheep. Not being armed myself (my back ups were) I went to knock the gun out of his hand with the back of my hand and the gun went off. The FMJ entered the back of my hand just below my pinkie finger at an extreme angle, rode along the bones of my hand and wrist and exited about 6" up my forearm and the bullet ended up hitting a utility pole where it stuck. To say the least I ran like a sissy looking for cover and didn't even know I was hit[smilie=2:. Anyway, the wounds (enterance and exit) didn't bleed much but for close to a month I had a bloodshot streak running between the entrance/exit that was about an inch and a half wide and 8 inches long. The bullet hit nothing important and broke no bones just like in the picture but unlike the picture there sure was a lot of bloodshot meat/skin in between.

BG got 30 months[smilie=s:

Just my HO.

2shot

Gunslinger
12-18-2009, 08:08 PM
There's not a lot of stories like these here in Denmark. We are pretty disciplined when it comes to safety. And we don't carry our guns and such, besides of course when hunting. I do remember a few.

A guy who used to come in the club was cleaning his .300 win mag while it was placed in a rack on the table. He closes the action and BOOM. Through the door comes his 15 year-old daughter! Hit dead center...... that can only end with one thing.

Another one was a guy who took his neighbour's 12-year-old daughter to an indoor range and gave her the proper instructions and a clip with .22's. He and the president were standing next to her and talking. After the second shot the president said something, obviously pointed at her, so she turns around and pokes him in the gut with the gun and giggles while saying "Hi hi don't tease me Mister", turned around and resumed firing!

These kind of threads are a good reminder to us all. Not long ago I came running back into the rifle range after having been out to clean my Freedom Arms. There were three guys there. I had just cleaned it, so of course I was sure it was empty! But that didn't keep from waving it around pointing at people... ups!

We who are around guns the most are those most likely to neglect firearm safety.

Jayhem
12-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I know of some kid my cousin knew back in highschool who was riding in the bed of my cousin's truck on the way to get dropped off at his hunting spot on the farm and his 30/30 went off in the bed of the truck...the bullet glance off the bed went through the vertical front of the bed and lodged in the cab sheet metal inches from my cousin's back in the driver's seat. Needless to say he didn't drive that dude around with a gun anymore.

303Guy
12-18-2009, 10:58 PM
... the gun fell straight down on the butt, sending a .270 corloct through the same area of the picture ...Many folks don't realize that a gun dropped onto its butt will self cock and self fire! The trigger, often, if not usually, has its pivot point very high and that causes the trigger to depress while at the same time the cocking piece moves back under inertia.

DLCTEX
12-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Had a call from a local motel a few years ago to replace a broken window pane that was reportedly shot out by a customer who tossed his 44 Mag. pistol on the bed and it fired. I inquired what the damage to the bed was? None. This seemed curious to me, so I examined the angle of the hole in the glass from the bed and concluded it couldn't have happened that way. I then wondered where the bullet wound up. From the level of where the gun would have been if aimed at the window the hole aligned with the little building that housed the ice machine. Inspection of that revealed a hole in the facia of the roof, which led me to discover a hole exiting the roof about 5 ft. into the roof. Going back to the window and aligning the holes I found that the bullet had gone over the 3 story court house across the street. I never heard of it coming down with any consequence, but the room renter recieved a much larger bill than he anticipated, but when confronted with the evidence sheepishly paid off.

trickyasafox
12-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I had my yugo sks 59/66 slam fire on me once at the local range. it was pointed down range how it should have been, still put the fear of G-d in me though.

stocker
12-19-2009, 01:54 PM
The larger hole may be from a grazing shot with the muzzle at or near contact with the person. Muzzle gas may have caused the bulk of the damagae. The wound on the neck may be where the bullet crossed again.

I have seen a suicide where the muzzle of a 250-3000 was in contact with the underside of the throat between the lower jaw bones. The individuals whole head ended up nearly as flat as road kill. The coroner said the bullet reached and destroyed the brain and exited but the trapped gasses literally exploded the structure supporting the head in total. The bulk of the gas went out of the head where the tissue was softest; at the entry point. The entrance wound when supported to hold it open resembled the larger wound on this person pictured here. In other words there was no 25 cal. hole at the entrance and it was a lot bigger than the exit hole at the top of the skull.

I would think a major electrical injury might cause internal high pressure steam which could make a wound similar to high pressure gas venting.

Just speculation, only people directly involved would know the facts of this incident but I see a bullet wound as plausible under the right conditions.

303Guy
12-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Makes sense what stocker says. The 'burning' appearance, or what I called 'signs of healing' or at least, aging of the wound, could be from muzzle blast.

I have only heard of electrical flesh explosion and at first it sounds plausable but, .... there is no way in hell an electrical current of sufficient magnitude to cause an explosive wound of that nature with the two contact points across the neck and upper back would not have killed the man outright!

And why would someone lie about having done such a stupid thing anyway?

303Guy
12-19-2009, 02:34 PM
While we are telling about near misses, one day, my son got into a passionate state after a fight with his girlfriend and decided to kill himself with my Anschutz hornet. He smashed the door with a hammer to get to the lock, got the gun out it's secure hiding place in another part of the house, found the bolt (the reason for smashing the door), found a loaded round, tried to fit the bolt, and at that that point the significance of the Anschutz becomes apparent - the cocking piece unclipped and he couldn't get it together again and before he could get any further his girl phoned him and patched things up.

JohnH
12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
I don't believe this is a gun shot wound. Before I read 2shot's post I was asking myself where the bruise is betweent the two wounds. Feel you back in this area. There is little meat between the skin and bone. A bullet traveling there is going to leave a bruise. Also look at the angle of the wounds and ask yourself this, just how did that bullet make that track if the man was standing on the 4 wheeler at the time the gun went off. What was he doing on that 4 wheeler, somersaults?. As well, feel your neck in the area of the so called exit wound. Feel bone? think that a 458 bullet can pass between the meat, bone and skin and not create any more damage than what we see in the photo? Electrical burn? Just how did that occur? I can think of a senario (hint, lineman), but if it is that, why make up this story and pass it about? Sorry guys, it don't add up to me. Either photo shop, or actual accident, false story. Just my 2 cents and it prolly ain't worth that... But I wouldn't bet my bippy on this story.

Hang Fire
12-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Back in 1967 while camping, I shot myself in the thigh with a Hi-Standard .22 auto. The nearest town was Payson AZ, so went to the hospital there. Then as now, all gunshot wounds have to be investigated and the Sheriff came in to do so. He was finishing up the paperwork and started lecturing me on gun safety and how his officers were all well trained.

Suddenly there was a big hullabaloo and they brought a deputy into the ER, he had shot his finger off playing with a derringer they had taken off a perp. That ended the safety pep talk for the day.

wallacem
12-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I will have to add to this pile since we are talking about stupid mistakes. About 35 years ago I took a neighbor to the gunroom and grabbed by 22-250 lying on the bench to show him my new trigger pull. Since "All" of my guns are "Always" empty, I simply lifted the bolt to cock it, lowered it and handed him the rifle, thankfully with the bbl striaght up. he pulled the trigger and killed the ceiling. I was shocked, but it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. I had been out hunting about a week before, and had brought the gun home without unloading it. I would have never thought it could happen to me.

troy7769
12-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I have only heard of electrical flesh explosion and at first it sounds plausable but, .... there is no way in hell an electrical current of sufficient magnitude to cause an explosive wound of that nature with the two contact points across the neck and upper back would not have killed the man outright!

This is not true. Electrical burns are not all alike, but the normal wound from a high power electrical burn is a small entrance and a small exit, at first. Later on the skin and flesh that was in the path between the entrance and exit will began to die. Lots of skin and flesh. This can last for weeks and a person can loose lots of stuff that they never knew was afficated by the burn. The worst area is normaly the exit wound.

303Guy
12-20-2009, 02:16 PM
... but the normal wound from a high power electrical burn is a small entrance and a small exit, at first.I heard of one instance where an electrician put his hand down from the top panel into the bottom incoming panel and got bit. They said the high voltage current exited from his ankle above his shoe and blew a large hole there. There was arcing involved of course. The witness has sinced passed so there is no way of getting more info.

I still think it possible the boolit could have changed direction some by the stretching and tearing skin - which is quite thick and tough on our backs - like a slingshot. The neck wound would have to be a glancing skin wound.

On bullet deflection and the toughness of skin, I heard of a man trying to commit suicide by shooting himself in the temple. The bullet penetrated his skin and travelled between his skin and skull and stopped at the opposite temple! (Pistol velocities). That's not what happened to 'our' man - the boolit did not pass under the skin in his case - I think.

... he pulled the trigger and killed the ceiling. I was shocked ...The thing here is that we are all capable of making this and any other kind of mistake! My rule for me is 'action open' when not actually firing. This can and does cause rounds to get lost as the bolt slips back inadvertantly. But I'm just too aware of my mistake making ability! In the above instance, the second safety rule paid off!

By the way, I have a rule #4. Never dry-fire a gun! Not without aiming it at a 'real' target as though it will actually fire, anyway. This is because we might get used to 'dry-firing' and dry fire a loaded gun!

PatMarlin
12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Since we're on the subject...

You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.celoxmedical.com/

I carry these packs in the trucks, medicine cab, and hunting gear. Cheap insurance that may say your life or someone elses.

303Guy
12-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks fore the link, PatMarlin. I have suddenly realised that I go out totally unprepared for an accident/mishap!:confused:

wolfman
12-20-2009, 03:33 PM

Not sure on this pic, but I think I have seen the one about the foot. I believe the true story on that one, is he rested the barrel on his foot while shooting sporting clays. I have done the same thing several times while waiting for my turn, always with the breech open. The pictures I saw included the hole in the wooden shooting platform with his shoe sitting over, then beside the hole. If that one was a fake, they did a very good job, because it was the same face holding the shoe beside the hole in the platform, as the guy sitting with his foot in the air while a pic was taken of the hole, from the bottom side of his foot.

1874Sharps
12-20-2009, 03:40 PM
There is an old, retired master machinist/gunsmith in my area who says, "Do not trust a gunsmith who has not shot himself: He just is not experienced enough!" He would know about that, from what I was told. He tried shooting a lock off with a pistol like they do in the Westerns and the bullet bounced off and hit him in the calf and embedded itself.

Freightman
12-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Here is a whole site devoted to gun shot wounds.
http://www.forensicmed.co.uk/gunshot_wounds.htm

MT Gianni
12-20-2009, 07:09 PM
A friend was grouse hunting and set his shotgun in the front seat. He claimed he didn't know why or how but as it passed the transfer case he pulled the trigger. $2200 repair in 1984. He considered himself lucky.

odoh
12-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I too think possibly ~ old wound left open for draining/treatment perhaps and indeed significant signs of healing/med care. Note fading bruise coloring below the wound plus the 'staging' for plastic surgery. Note the bandage/binding enpressed wrinkles into the sking surface acrossed the shoulder area showing long term binding. Thinking (guessing actually) only the top wound is result of actual bullet contact. The areas showing skin pulled together and healing w/o sutures ~ I'm know some are done w/super glueŽ nowadays.

Am aware of a number of scary incidents among family & friends and have concluded that being human, have accepted the fact its gonna happen ~ be watching and expecting it anytime and always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

odoh
12-21-2009, 03:49 AM
Dad came home after WW2 and bought an old win 94 30-30. Wanted hollow points but not many gadgets back then. Somehow he managed to pull the bullets and got some lighter 30 carbine slugs and hollow pointed them but some slid down into the case. Tossed it into the parts bin and forgot about them for the next 20yrs.

Neighbor came over w/a win 94 that wouldn't shoot. Dad recalled he had a spare firing pin and installed it. To chk it out, seen what he assumed to be an empty/fire casing popped that puppy in there pulled the trigger. It WORKED! To his credit, he did have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

rummy64
12-21-2009, 12:09 PM
With the exception of a pistol (with a permit), it's illegal to carry a loaded gun in your car here.
Partly because of accidents, partly because they don't want people poaching. It makes sense to me. I've seen a few examples here where a loaded gun accidentally went off in a car.

HangFireW8
12-21-2009, 09:36 PM
No bruising or discoloration between the two wounds. Semi-healed incision above lower wound. I'm thinking Staph infection after the procedure that created the incision, but that is just speculation. Don't really believe that it is a gunshot wound, though.

Sorry.

-HF

HangFireW8
12-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Here are some pictures of a similar infection. (Also not for the feint of heart).

http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/wiki/Staph_Infections (http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/wiki/Staph_Infections)

-HF

lwknight
12-25-2009, 04:46 PM
This story posted on another forum by "Pistolero" is not exactly about a AD buy more of a near ND. Quoted as follows below.

I got one better - A few years ago we went over to a friend's house for dinner. After eating he insisted we go downstairs; he wanted to show me his brand new (used) G-19. So, albeit reluctantly, I went to the basement with him. Next thing I know he opens up a Glock clamshell case; and, before I can say a word, he starts to point the muzzle right at the end of my nose!

I didn't wait; there was a certain, '******* gleam' in his eye; and I instantly disarmed him. (Wasn't too nice about it either!) Well, he got furious and began screaming and cursing at me. Several times he repeated; 'Don't you know that I have arthritis; and, now, you've set it off!' 'Blankety, blankety, blank, ...... '

He finished his tirade with the remark; 'What, the Hell, is the matter with you?' 'Don't you realize it isn't loaded?' 'I would never do a thing like that!' (He owned a small local gun store.)

Since I was in possession of his brand new (used) G-19, I glanced down at it; and, sure enough, the magazine well was empty. Then, I racked the slide; and, voila, a bright 'n shiny 115 grain FMJ round went bouncing along the top of his workbench!

This schmuck didn't say a word - Not a word! He looked down at his shoes for what seemed like an eternity before finally mumbling; 'Embarrassing!' That was it! No apology, no nothing. (He and I, both, knew that he had originally intended to pull that trigger in order to get a rise out of me.)

That night ended a five year friendship between us. Since then he's come up to me at several club meetings and, once or twice, at a gun show; but, I want nothing to do with him. If Cooper's 2nd rule weren't, 'burned into my brain' - and I will not allow either myself or anybody else to violate it in my presence - I'd definitely be dead right now; I would have taken that round from my buddy's empty brand new (used) G-19 right between the eyes!

Occasionally, I've wondered about what he would have gone upstairs and said to our wives after I'd been shot in the face and was lying on the floor, bleeding out? Sadly, I know this guy so well that I am positive he would have told our wives that I was fooling around, playing some sort of stupid gun game, when the AD happened.

All of which supports my theory that nobody dies without God's permission. We are born by grace; and, regardless of the circumstances, we die the same way. I beat the odds that night by mere fractions of a second. I could see it in his eyes, had I hesitated, he would have pulled that trigger!

muleequestrian
12-25-2009, 05:31 PM
OK, I'll confess to one AD also. Years ago I had a friend who bought one of the first Ruger semi autos with the decocker. Being unfamiliar with it ( I always carried a 1911 ) , I was fiddling with it on his front porch. I thought I had it pointed in a safe enough direction.... towards the floor. I squeezed the trigger in DA, and promptly put a 9mm round into the tip of my boot. Luckily far enough towards the end that I didn't get any toes. Every since then I ALWAYS make darned sure to remove the magazine and rack the slide to look into the breech on every gun I handle.

303Guy
12-25-2009, 09:14 PM
lwknight

That account sent shivers down my spine - in fact over my whole body! Holy Cow! :holysheep

I had something similar happen to me. I would have taken a 22LR boolit in the gut! Then a girl I was seeing did it to her brother with my 22LR revolver. After carefully explaining the dangers and precautions and standing right behind her she fired the firs shot down range, cocked the gun and swung around and pointed it into her brothers gut. He looked at her with a big smile like it was a joke! And he questioned whether I had a firearm licence!:holysheep

lwknight
12-25-2009, 11:10 PM
I had read that account and thought that it should be shared.
I contacted the author " Pistolero " on www.concealedcarryforum.com " and he was OK with reposting verbatum.
A true first hand account of where the "I didn't know the gun was loaded" comes from and why they usually go to prison anyway. You cannot legislate against stupid but, you can take them out of operation.

ghh3rd
12-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Have drilled into my kids about gun safety -- but then they go somewhere else and encounter dumb people. My 12 yrd old son took an airsoft pellet in the chin, which actually knocked a notch of skin off. He had walked into a friends room and the friend snapped off a shot. He "thought it was unloaded".

My daughter, 21 went to a friends house where a group of several others were gathered. The friend dragged out his new 9mm pistol for show and tell. It was being passed around and one idiot started pointing it at everyone inlcuding the dog. My daughter objected loudly, but her friend insisted that he had removed the magazine. She insisted that he rack the slide, and sure enough out popped a 9mm round.

I've seen kids with BB rifles, including one today at a Christmas gathering who have no idea of gun safety. It was sweeping everyone in the vicinity. It makes me crazy that parents will give their kids something that could cause serious harm to someone else without any safety training or regard for anyone else.

Randy

snowtigger
12-26-2009, 07:59 AM
Way back, in 1962, I lost a cousin from a gunshot. He was fourteen years old.
His older brother had just come home on leave after boot camp. They decided to go camping down in the river "bottom". They took two guns, a22 rifle and a 12 ga shotgun. Ed, the older brother was driving and saw Albert loading the 22. He made him unload it but, he did not know Albert had also loaded the shotgun.
When they got to the campsite, Albert was pulling the shotgun out of the car by the barrel when the trigger caught on something and it went off, hitting him in the neck and chest. It was over before he hit the ground.
Ed was never the same after that. :(