PDA

View Full Version : Need Christmas gift idea

crabo
12-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a friend that I want to give a gun related Christmas gift to. He has a lot of guns, but doesn't really like to shoot. He enjoys me shooting his guns more than shooting himself. He is extremely hard to buy for because he buys what he wants. His wife is always impressed when I get him something because it is like mission impossible.

In the past, I have given him a box of 45 tracers and a box of Winchester 45 acp Black Talons. That tripped his trigger. I am at a complete loss on what to get him. Anyone have any ideas for around $30-35?

Rocky Raab
12-17-2009, 12:53 PM
A quart of bore solvent, some brushes. Perhaps a good cleaning rod. Magazine subscription. A one-year NRA membership.

runfiverun
12-17-2009, 12:58 PM
electronic earmuffs.
book by robert roark,wdm bell,,etc.

madcaster
12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
He has a lot of guns, but doesn't really like to shoot. He enjoys me shooting his guns more than shooting himself.

Does he need more help shooting/cleaning/oiling these guns?Just a joking.
Does he build custom guns?
if so then maybe a wood chisel or a new file or some of the trappings from Brownell's may be in order.

oldhickory
12-17-2009, 01:56 PM
A BOYDS 1 1/4" military sling.

crabo
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
He has a lot of guns, but doesn't really like to shoot. He enjoys me shooting his guns more than shooting himself.

Does he need more help shooting/cleaning/oiling these guns?Just a joking.
Does he build custom guns?
if so then maybe a wood chisel or a new file or some of the trappings from Brownell's may be in order.

He is a collector type of person. He enjoys things for what they are. I have been fortunate to buy several guns from him. He is very knowledgeable and knows a good deal when he sees it. He doesn't work on the guns other than mounting scopes on them.

I really want something unique as opposed to just something any one could pick up.

azrednek
12-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Send him on an archery hunt with this guide.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/bow-2.jpg

SPRINGFIELDM141972
12-17-2009, 05:52 PM
:shock:I'll take one of those guide trip please.

crabo
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
:shock:I'll take one of those guide trip please.

It's not the upfront cost on that which will kill you.....

OR... upon reflection of that thought, it probably cost someone a great deal to get there...

jhrosier
12-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Most "gun guys" also appreciate a really good quality pocket knife.

Jack

Baron von Trollwhack
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
A first class book covering his area of intrest. BvT

Orygun
12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
A shooting or guns related book or magazine subscription?

crabo
12-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm telling you, this guy is hard to buy for. He gave me an SOG tomahawk. He found a deal on them and got a couple and gave me one. He is a pool builder and is all over the D/FW metroplex trolling for deals. He hits all the high end neighbor garage sales and is constantly buying stuff. He is always buying hardback books for $1. He is like the ultimate shopper.

That's one reason the tracers and Black Tallons made such a big hit.

mooman76
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm with BVT. Get a good gun book!

RayinNH
12-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe a couple boxes of loob grooves:kidding:

I like Jack's idea of a good pocket knife or a gun rag subscription...Ray

Blacksmith
12-18-2009, 12:53 AM
What caliber are his guns? Maybe some custom handloads that arn't available on the market. Or maybe some collector cartridges for display. here is one site that sells them.
http://www.ammo-one.com/

Blacksmith

crabo
12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
What caliber are his guns? Maybe some custom handloads that arn't available on the market. Or maybe some collector cartridges for display. here is one site that sells them.
http://www.ammo-one.com/

Blacksmith

He's got a Weatherby one that he bought for $5 at a garage sale.

oksmle
12-18-2009, 01:57 AM
crabo .... I have a friend who is evidently your friend's twin brother. One christmas I ordered the complete works of J.R. Williams who drew "Out Our Way" for the comics for so many years. I gave him six of the books pertaining to "Bull of the Woods," one year the next I gave him the rest of the set comprised of four books of "Classic Cowboy Cartoons" & one of "U.S. Cavalry Cartoons." Then one year I gave him all the "Calvin & Hobbs" books I could find. He loved all this stuff. Last year I found an old edition of "Currier & Ives" & gave it to him & he still raves about it. This year I'm gonna' give him an old single stage C&H press that his father loaned to me over fifty years ago & told me to keep it 'til I was done with it. He has no interest in reloading, but I bet the press will be the topic of many stories with his other friends.

oldhickory
12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
How about Bill Mauldins book, "Up Front" Bill was a cartoonist for "Stars and Stripes" newspaper during WWII. It's a collection of Bill's cartoons featuring "Willie and Joe" Bills two G.I. cartoon personalities. The caption of the cartoon below reads, "I'm depending on you older guys to be a steadying influance on the new replacements." The C.O. says as Joe cuts out paper dolls with a trench knife and Willie sits ready with two bottles of what ever booze he could scrounge to help forget about the war. Bill's book deals with the daily drudgery and horrors of the American foot Soldier in WWII through his cartoons and text.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9728/maul16au4.jpg

largom
12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Eva-Dry Dehumidifier from Midsouth Shooters Sup. item # 145-EVD500 for his gun cabinet. I use them and they work great. Cost is $24.29 plus ship

Larry

Sprue
12-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Buy him a nice Safe.................. and keep it at your place :razz:

Actually the pocket knife suggestion tops my list. Well, second on the list.

Around here you can buy a new Redbone Case for around the $32 mark.