PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 429360

Wolfgang
12-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Anyone casting with the Lyman 429360? I have cast these up and they are great looking bullets but they just don't seem to shoot worth a darn. I have one 44 special that seems to like it somewhat but I have yet to even come close to the accuracy that I get from the 429421. Anyone using these and getting good groups with it please chime in and let me know what you're using as I've cast up a lot of them and really like the bullet.

Thanks,

Wolfgang

Guesser
12-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I use it in a Taurus Model 441 stainless steel, 6". I found that I size it to .431 and drive it hard, the accuracy is better the faster it goes. I have never got it to work in any 44 magnum, RSBH, 29-2, or a 10" T/C bull. Very finicky bullet, but purty!!
And I cast soft, 50/50 PB/WW, works best.

Edubya
12-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Anyone casting with the Lyman 429360? I have cast these up and they are great looking bullets but they just don't seem to shoot worth a darn. I have one 44 special that seems to like it somewhat but I have yet to even come close to the accuracy that I get from the 429421. Anyone using these and getting good groups with it please chime in and let me know what you're using as I've cast up a lot of them and really like the bullet.

Thanks,

Wolfgang
First:Welcome to the greatest forum on the net!
Wolfgang, it would be nice to know which gun you're using. And, have have you slugged the chambers and barrel; are you sizing or shooting as cast? What is your alloy? If you are truly looking for answers when asking for help, all of this makes a difference.
Each and every gun has its own likes and dislikes, just as does each boolit. That is the challenge and for anyone to help, not just rattle off a reply, the more that we know the more that we can assist.
EW

Glen
12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
What is the diameter of the forward driving band on your bullets? On my 429360s, the forward driving band was severely undersized and they wouldn't shoot, no matter what kind of load I used with them.

Edubya
12-17-2009, 09:01 AM
What is the diameter of the forward driving band on your bullets? On my 429360s, the forward driving band was severely undersized and they wouldn't shoot, no matter what kind of load I used with them.

Glen, What did you do with the mould? I have one like that and I'm planning on lapping it this weekend.
EW

Shuz
12-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I've had the 429360 mould and it wouldn't shoot in any of my .44 mags. Even the hollow point version wouldn't shoot. Glen nailed the reason. The front driving band on mine were .424. This design is one of the only .44 designs that you can usually pick up cheaply on e-bay.

Glen
12-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Edubya -- I made a rather primitive attempt to open that driving band up a number of years ago, and buggered the job up badly. That mould is no longer usable.

Wolfgang
12-17-2009, 08:46 PM
Guesser, I have a 441 that shoots it ok and its got a 4 inch tube. I also have a 431 with a 2 inch tube that shoots them the best. None of my 44 mags like it. Edubya, you are correct, it's tough to make recommendations without knowing those things. First off I have not slugged the throats or bores but in my defense each of the guns that I've shot it through shoots the 429421 very well. I cast with straight WW and soft lead three to one. Three pounds of WW to one pound of lead. I'm sizing to .431 and I've also shot them as cast. Glen, I've never even thought about measuring the front driving bands to see what size they are but I shall do so.

beagle
12-17-2009, 09:26 PM
It's not the front driving band. I had the front driving band opened to .433" on one and it still shot all haywire. There's something about the size/aerodynamics of the nose that makes it that way./beagle

Guesser
12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Like I said, I tried it in a RSBH 7.5", and a 29-2 8.375" and a T/C 10" and it would not shoot in magnum or special cases. It works for me in my 441 if I crowd it a little. I also cast soft.

4t5
12-18-2009, 11:19 AM
I've had the 429360 .....The front driving band on mine were .424. .....

Well, since I just bought one of these, I had to fire up the pot to see if I wasted my money. The front driving band on mine comes out to .429 so I guess I got a good one. I love my 429244, but have been wanting to try a heavier boolit.

shooterchris
03-04-2010, 05:54 AM
How long has this mold been in production? I just poured and sized some today and my 430 sizer sized the front driving band. This makes me think that I may have an older mold. If it shoots decent I'll let yall know, but the knowing man that let me have the mold it could be pretty old. Anybody have one that the front driving band comes out this size, and if so hows it shoot?

Maven
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
All, If you go to the Cast Bullet Notes From lasc.us at the bottom right of your screen and then to articles by Glen E. Fryxell, you'll come to his article on .44 SWC cast bullets. In it, you'll discover all you need to know about Gordon Boser's #429360. And btw, I had that mold, but it was, as Glen wrote, undersized in certain critical areas and an inconsistent performer in my Ruger SBH. Needless to say, I soon sold it, even though it cast beautifully.

45 2.1
03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I've tried this in two molds, one a four cavity solid which shot only reasonably and the other was a factory hollow point mold. That mold was new, but the pin was missing and the pin hole in the blocks was miss-aligned. I had Buckshot rebore the pin hole to a larger size and make a deep wide pin that left about 0.030 wall thickness at the meplat. That mold shot very well in warmish 44 Special loads. It's accounted for several deer and numerous smaller game now. If you have a single cavity, give the conversion a try.